Just In....

javeajag

James Craigen is absolutely awful. No composure, terrible touch, can't beat a man, powderpuff. Aside from the goal, where he couldn't miss, just utterly horrendous.

Elliott was much the same. Crappy low crosses all day, can't get the ball by a defender unless it involves a stray pass.

What does Archie see in him that he doesn't in Lawless?

The Stevenson substitution was horrendous. He was winning a lot of balls, keeping a hold of it. Yet Archie takes him off and leaves a couple of absolute passengers on? He took our best player off, it didn't tighten things up either. What did it do!?

Balatoni and O'Donnell showing again even when the opposition are offering no threat of their own they are still always at risk of screwing up at any time. O'Donnell had his hands all over the Dundee sub on the edge of the box at one point in the second half, doesn't engage his brain at all. Need Frans back next to big Seaborne who was immense again, ASAP.

Forget the budget, all the problems are fixable, but Archie persists.

We will stay up this year, but if we are to make the next step or even protect ourselves as stronger clubs like Hearts come up, we have to be more ruthless and cut some of these players in the summer. Guys who were squad players under Jackie like Craigen and Elliott in the 1st division and Balatoni.

• Like 1

We have lost 2 of our last 8 league games and they were against Celtic and Aberdeen and both by single goal margins. We only need 18 points from our last 21 games to equal last seasons points total. We absolutely destroyed the 2nd in the league last week away from home Yeah, again that was a sore one today but some people really need a reality check on here. There will be hiccups along the way but the target is to improve every year and as far as I can see that is definitely happening.

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 3

Some seriously embarrassing posts in here this evening. Dundee created almost nothing the entire game. Balatoni failed to deal with a long ball effectively and even then it was a freak own goal. I would agree that Stevenson should not have gone off. Higginbotham didn't have his best game but it was his quick thinking and combining with Stevenson that set up the goal, he played a great through ball for Craigen's first half chance and picked Craigen out excellently for his second half chance. If that's contributing nothing I'll take that every week from him!

Nobody is saying Archibald is completely blameless, I didn't agree with his substitutions and lack thereof at times today, but Hartley made his first change ten minutes into the second half and then we scored soon after. Archie would have got slated for that too if the tables were turned. As I say Dundee were not creating chances, and we had 5+ excellent chances to finish the game, you can't blame Archie for some poor finishing. I thought we played very well in the second half against a pretty decent Dundee side.

Oh and those two Gary Fraser passes in the second half, unbelievable.

Edited to add: anyone that cannot see serious improvement under Archibald is utterly clueless.

Edited by Hopeless Unbeliever
  • Like 5

Nope. Not defending properly and not taking our chances cost us two points.

Well that's ur opinion and ur entitled to it. For all the chances we had their keeper didn't make a single save to make, same as gallacher though I guess. What I would say is the defence may not have been under the same pressure if we kept the one player who could hold the ball up on the pitch.

I think everyone could tell though that the three points collected in Inverness would be tainted by just the one today, and a previous Draw with killie. It's the thistle way.

We will stay up this year, but if we are to make the next step or even protect ourselves as stronger clubs like Hearts come up, we have to be more ruthless and cut some of these players in the summer. Guys who were squad players under Jackie like Craigen and Elliott in the 1st division and Balatoni.

^^ this.

Archie has to start taking the blame for these results. Totally clueless at times. Higgy never kicked a ball the whole match, Elliot was never in the game and apart from his goal Craigen was totally obscure. He makes his usual last 15 min sub when bringing on Dools and takes off stevo who as has been said, he was having a good game. Hartley realised that he had to change it 5 min into the 2nd half, but when it was noticeable to all in the stadium,that we needed some fresh legs on the park, Archie just carries on with the usual pish. Then in the last couple of minutes we should have brought a sub on to break up the game and waste some time, but not Archie.

As for this crap that some are spouting about Higgy isn't 100% match fit! then he shouldn't be fecking starting!!! Stop giving players a start that don't deserve to start week in week out, just because he is a favourite with some fans, it's starting to become fecking soul destroying at times. He will not take off his favourite players even when they are doing nothing in the game.

Seriously thinking about giving up our 3 season tickets because of decisions like this from Archie, cannot handle going to freeze our balls off and watch incompetence from him and his lack of savvy costing us 2 points, especially when it costs us a fortune every week to travel up from down south. Archie is truly clueless!!!!

Credit for travelling up from down south.

But what a load of crap.

• Like 1

Well that's ur opinion and ur entitled to it. For all the chances we had their keeper didn't make a single save to make, same as gallacher though I guess. What I would say is the defence may not have been under the same pressure if we kept the one player who could hold the ball up on the pitch.

I think everyone could tell though that the three points collected in Inverness would be tainted by just the one today, and a previous Draw with killie. It's the thistle way.

I don't really see what the substitution had to do with anything. Doolan is great at holding the ball up as well, although he doesn't have Stevenson's build.

Considering who was on the bench, I'm struggling to see what else was available. Eccelston, Lawless or the 3 younger players. Assuming McMillian and Carroll were injured, who takes Craigan's place in midfield when Bannigan has to play left back? Bannigan was good today but we missed him in midfield.

Lawless can blow hot or cold. On for Elliot - maybe, but if you don't take the chances the original 11 create and not defend properly then making a sub like that makes little difference.

For me the weak link is Balatoni; how many late goals has he been on the park for? With Aero even worse and not on the bench and Frans injured, there wasn't much else available.

Poor game overall, poor ref (again).

Poor finishing cost us today and we need shooting practice this week please. We could (and should) have been 3 up midway through :2nd half.

I see the Craigen scapegoaters are out again. No credit for a man who scored our only goal of the game and broke up the play on more than one occasion. Bit unfair.

• Like 2

I don't really see what the substitution had to do with anything. Doolan is great at holding the ball up as well, although he doesn't have Stevenson's build.

Considering who was on the bench, I'm struggling to see what else was available. Eccelston, Lawless or the 3 younger players. Assuming McMillian and Carroll were injured, who takes Craigan's place in midfield when Bannigan has to play left back? Bannigan was good today but we missed him in midfield.

Lawless can blow hot or cold. On for Elliot - maybe, but if you don't take the chances the original 11 create and not defend properly then making a sub like that makes little difference.

For me the weak link is Balatoni; how many late goals has he been on the park for? With Aero even worse and not on the bench and Franser injured, there wasn't much else available.

The substitution changed the game completely. Why not take off higgy who was having a stinker (from the view of the majority of posters today) . I mean look at his two shots right off the defender at about 85 mins shows his confidence is rock bottom rather than looking for a pass? Bring on Doolan and Stevenson can drop behind and be ready for a knock down.

How is aero worse than balatoni? Has he had a run beside seaborne????

Archie was one of my heroes when playing but I've rarely seen him change his formation in the two years he's been in charge.

Edited by kennymac29

Archie is a good manager but he has to take the blame for dropping the points today. It's happening far too often, he's not learning, and it's very frustrating.

We're probably the 5th or 6th best team in this division, in my (biased) opinion. But we don't learn from our mistakes, don't change things often/well enough, and that's why we'll finish 9th or 10th.

• Like 1

When will we learn to see a game out it's so frustrating ! Do we ever try and run down the clock a bit ? Am I wrong or after losing so many late goals can no 1 take the ball into the corner just to waste a minute or 2 ! On the plus side Kilmarnock are falling away to **** and we are a better side than Dundee fingers crossed we can pick something up next 2 games

We are just not streetwise,our management team seem unable to make telling substituitions,Dundee pilled on the attackers,we did nothing to counter,we needed to fill the mid-field,Elliott was finished after his kick in the face,Craigen disappeared totally,Higgy had one of his days,we gave 2 points away.Hamilton did the exact same to us beginning of the season,made changes and we didn't do anything about it,AA must start learning from this type of game,when its tight pressure the opposition,we got deeper and deeper,what difference was the substituition of like for like,they brought on attacking players and we just didn't seem to take note of it.

So dissapointed after the game today....a real chance to show everyone we are serious top 6 contenders. Not only that but a chance to go on a wee run aswell. A great win last week followed by a win today, and a very winnable game next week against a poor motherwell side and we could have been looking at 3 wins in a row.

Instead, we're leaving the game with a definite 2 points dropped and unfortunately still nervously glancing over our shoulders at the poor sides behind us that we're so much better than. The most annoying thing for me is that for once we didn't look like conceding the inevitable last minute goal. We dealt pretty comfortably with any dundee attacks all day and I honestly thought we could see this one out.

For me, although he got his goal today, craigen doesn't do enough for the position he plays. You excpect your centre mids to take the game by the scruff of the neck and I feel like we missed banzo in there today.

• Like 2

The substitution changed the game completely. Why not take off higgy who was having a stinker (from the view of the majority of posters today) . I mean look at his two shots right off the defender at about 85 mins shows his confidence is rock bottom rather than looking for a pass? Bring on Doolan and Stevenson can drop behind and be ready for a knock down.

How is aero worse than balatoni? Has he had a run beside seaborne????

Archie was one of my heroes when playing but I've rarely seen him change his formation in the two years he's been in charge.

I don't agree at all. How can the substitution change the game completely when it made no difference to how we were playing.

If you can't see that Aero isn't up to this level based on the games he has played over the last 2 years, then quite frankly I don't see your viewpoint as valid at all. Balatoni is no more than ok but he has too many bombscare moments and has been culpable for a high number of late goals lost this season and last. Aero on the other hand is out of his depth totally.

Archie didn't need to change the shape of the team because we should have taken the chances created and dealt with the little threat Dundee posed. He changed things around with Higgy and Elliot swapping wings, and I've yet to see a masterplan with the subs that merited a drastic change or clear benefit.

Higgy was always a threat in the second half, even if his final ball wasn't great. He helped set up the goal with some great work for Stevenson and was always looking to be involved - hardly the mark of a player lacking confidence. He was nowhere near as bad as being made out.

For me, although he got his goal today, craigen doesn't do enough for the position he plays. You expect your centre mids to take the game by the scruff of the neck and I feel like we missed banzo in there today.

Fair comment. The central midfield was so good up at Inverness it was a major blow we couldn't have the same trio playing there today. Last week was the first game for a while that Banzo was really positive and i was looking forward to a repeat showing.

As for the game itself, not that we would've been that worthy of a two goal win, I thought we should've managed to force a second goal. Dundee, once they came out of their defensive shell to chase the game, were there for the taking.

Poor game overall, poor ref (again).

I see the Craigen scapegoaters are out again. No credit for a man who scored our only goal of the game and broke up the play on more than one occasion. Bit unfair.

Agreed, the ref was terrible today. And when are these linesmen going to start becoming more involved in making decisions instead of taking the easy option and just waiting for the ref to make a decision and then agreeing with it.

Got to disagree regarding Craigen. I've been to most games this season and at times, I have focused my attention at games specifically on Craigen, watching his off the ball movement and positioning, as well as the stuff we all see on the ball. I have not joined in any Craigen scrapegoating but I have to say, the boy is lost at this level. His passing is poor, his first touch is terrible, and his tackling is anonymous. He has started almost every game this season, so there are no excuses such as injury/time out etc. When you compare the effort and good effect that the likes of Bannigan/Fraser/Osman often have on a game, when have we ever said the same about Craigen? And all this talk about him being a fit player with a good engine and therefore a decent footballer is just nonsense. It's like saying if you're fat, you'll be a good darts player. He lacks the guile, the composure and the decision making for this level and we need to replace him with a better alternative. I don't get a kick out of being negative about one of our players, but anybody that sees Craigen being effective in this current team, is not paying attention to what he's doing, in my opinion. Good luck to the boy, but he needs to find his league, which is probably the mid table of the Championship.

• Like 1

Fair comment. The central midfield was so good up at Inverness it was a major blow we couldn't have the same trio playing there today. Last week was the first game for a while that Banzo was really positive and i was looking forward to a repeat showing.

As for the game itself, not that we would've been that worthy of a two goal win, I thought we should've managed to force a second goal. Dundee, once they came out of their defensive shell to chase the game, were there for the taking.

A pitfall of loaning out a young player? Keenan didn't look out of place in the few games he played (or any worse than Carroll when he's played), including his debut away to Dundee earlier in the season. Had he still been around I don't see why he couldn't have filled in at LB. Incidentally, he wasn't in the Ayr Utd squad today.

Agreed, the ref was terrible today. And when are these linesmen going to start becoming more involved in making decisions instead of taking the easy option and just waiting for the ref to make a decision and then agreeing with it.

It's often said that some refs just want their linesmen running the line and doing bugger all else. Gut feeling would be Thomson falls into that camp.