Dundee United

The Cup

We can possibly shore up midfield but it's in the wide areas I'd worry more about. Against United we usually add extra cover on the right flank. Elliott being preferred to Lawless down the right. If Christie does play left back, and I feel we have to assume Bannigan can't handle United's pace on the wing, we're leaving SOD exposed on the other side. Can't really see how we can avoid this but out and out defending isn't SOD's strong point or of course Christie's.

I think I read somewhere Keenan isn't fit either. The only "new" youngster I can see getting included in the squad could be McMullen. He wouldn't be risked at left back but could provide cover wide left midfield.

I think if Ashley takes authorities to court he will tip them apart. As for fit and proper owners? It hasn't concerned them previously.

On paper United are far better than us and with injuries/suspensions taken into account we probably shouldn't even bother turning up! Still football isn't played on paper and if nothing else this match gives a chance for certain players e.g. Craigan and Elliot to prove a point, if nothing else. Knowing, Jackie's difficulties with setting up a team to play away from home, I'm not taking it as a given we're going to get humped. Our record against United hardly gives cause for confidence, so for me it'll be a triumph of hope over experience: to go into this match with any sort of confidence. Especially, after watching the Dundee Derby!

Edited by stillresigned

Time for Wilson to step up?

If we're not going to play him when Welsh, Osman and Fraser are all out then he'll never get in the team. Need to go with him.

Gallacher

O'Donnell - Balatoni - Seaborne - Lindsay

Wilson - Bannigan

Elliott - Craigen - Lawless

Stevenson

Fox, McMullan, Hendry, Colina, McDaid, Doolan, Eccleston.

Or Doolan in for Craigen with Stevenson dropping back.

It's our left flank that concerns me most. I was wondering whether AA might think about playing Bannigan at left-mid in a more defensive line-up, with Elliott behind him, but Fraser's absence may scupper that. For the first time in ages it's really difficult to predict the starting 11. It's difficult to see how at least one of the youngsters won't be handed a start.

If some of the experts on here are taking part in this we will obviously win:

https://twitter.com/GlasgowTableSoc

Brings back a few memories: I used to play in the Glasgow Subbuteo league when it was in Victoria Drive. I was about 13 in the late 70's. Won Division2 in my first season (unbeaten) but quit due to a combination of my friends chucking it and not receiving my trophy as the previous winner didn't bring it back. Recognise one of the guys in the picture- Davie (?) Gladman, Jags fan.

Play competitive tennis and was playing a match at Woodend one night when the Subbuteo club was on. Recognised a couple of guys that were there that night. Good memories.

The chips are down and we're down to the bare bones in terms of players available. Archibald's plans will no doubt be undergoing some restructuring. We have played with the same formation near enough for 3 or 4 seasons. There have been attempts at playing with two up with underwhelming results so far.

One option maybe playing with the in vogue three at the back which allows three central midfielders and two central attackers with the width provided by the fullbacks pushing into a wing back type role.

The other option could be the old Christmas tree formation with three at the back, with the full backs and two midfield players in the next line. Then two attacking players behind the central striker supporting.

A big ask for a shift of formation but it could be effective against United.

They play a similar formation to our usual 4-2-3-1 with the attacking emphasis provided by the 3 in line behind the forward Ciftci who can drop back and let his attackers get beyond him to good effect. Their full backs seem to be less gung ho than McNamara's days at Firhill so if we can marshall that front four we have a good chance to get something but we'll have to take our chances.

Our problem is we have two left sided central defenders and Balatoni who favours that side but is happy enough playing on the right in a central defensive partnership.

In other words I've no idea how we'll line up tomorrow ;)

Brings back a few memories: I used to play in the Glasgow Subbuteo league when it was in Victoria Drive. I was about 13 in the late 70's. Won Division2 in my first season (unbeaten) but quit due to a combination of my friends chucking it and not receiving my trophy as the previous winner didn't bring it back. Recognise one of the guys in the picture- Davie (?) Gladman, Jags fan.

Play competitive tennis and was playing a match at Woodend one night when the Subbuteo club was on. Recognised a couple of guys that were there that night. Good memories.

Victoria Drive? That brings back memories. Left there in 76.

Gallacher

O'Donnell .. Balatoni .. Seaborne .. Keenan

Wilson .. Bannigan

Elliott .. Lawless .. Stevenson

Eccleston

Since we are down to the bare bones, I think we should use this game as a chance to give Keenan, Lawless and Eccleston a chance to claim a jersey and to see what Wilson can do (although obviously Osman, Fraser, Bannigan, Welsh will all be up the pecking order). The benefit of this is also playing everyone in their right positions rather than having several players covering in un-natural places.

Edited by read'n'yell

Damage limitation seems to be the considered prospect for today - perhaps it will work out that way. Similarly the results for Motherwell, Ross and St. Mirren will have a significant bearing - so, in the apparent absence of optimism...................................... c'mon Aberdeen, Dundee and ICT.