Stats Watch

The Jukebox Rebel

:detective: 24.01.2015 Kilmarnock 2 Partick Thistle 2 (SPFL Premiership - game 22)

• Belgium becomes the 16th known country to be represented in the Thistle goal scoring charts. The full list reads: Australia, Belgium, England, Finland, France, Ghana, India, Ireland, Ivory Coast, Kosovo, Namibia, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Sweden, the USA and Wales. Of course, it would be foolish to rule out the possibilty of unearthing new discoveries from the past, British colonies in the victorian age, that sort of thing. If you know of any others please let me know!

Did we not have a Canadian playing for us early 50's or am I confusing Jimmy Walker (Detroit) with him

Did we not have a Canadian playing for us early 50's or am I confusing Jimmy Walker (Detroit) with him

Aye, Jimmy was Detroit born for sure. There was a big trend for players emigrating to Canada and the States in the 50s, maybe that's what's in your mind?

If there were any new discoveries, Canada would be high on my list of expectation mind you.

At the moment, the only Canadian Jags i know of are Jeff Aunger (1994) and Emilio Bottiglieri (2000), both of whom never scored.

Have wee actually won a game with Mr Collum reffing?

Ha-ha, yes a very understandable query. There's been several, including a stonking 6-1 at Alloa in October 2005. Even little Adolf couldn't stop us that day.

We're currently 7 without a win under his whistle though, the last win was a 2-1 at St Mirren Park in August 2013.

Is the 15 different scorers a top flight record for Thistle?

Great question Allyo, although the answer is no. It's joint 3rd in the Top Flight stakes with 7 other seasons. We had 16 in 1933-34 and 17 in 1957-58, when Davie McParland (15) and Tommy Ewing (10) were the top cats.

Looking ahead with a view to our current spread increasing, here's how the greater seasons pan out, all told:

16 different League scorers

1933-34, 1988-89, 1989-90

17 different League scorers

1957-58, 2006-07

18 different League scorers

1999-00

Keemal Avdiu's wonderful header at Firhill v East Fife in 1999 is not represented in your list JBR.

Not sure if he was Bosnian, Serbian, Croatian or Macedonian. He certainly wasn't Albanian though.

Keep those stats coming though. It's the best read on the site!!

Actually, he may be Kosovar which is represented in your list, so my sincerest apologies!!

Edited by Barney Rubble

:detective: 24.01.2015 Kilmarnock 2 Partick Thistle 2 (SPFL Premiership - game 22)

• Willie Collum returns from his stint in the referee sin bin and takes charge of his third Thistle game of the season. It's the first of the 3 games in which he hasn't award a penalty against us, and Thistle duly emerge with a point for the first time as a consequence.
  • This is Thistle's second competitive match of this season to finish cardless, following on from a similar outcome at Celtic Park in December's League game.
  • With only 2 yellows in the last 3 games, Thistle are no longer top of the indiscipline table and have been overtaken by Hamilton, who seem to have lost the plot in 2015.
  • Kilmarnock get their first goal from open play in 742 minutes. Their last conventional goal was scored 8 games ago - against Thistle at Firhill!
  • Thistle only have 1 clean sheet in their last 23 games vs Kilmarnock, 1994 to date (all games).
  • Thistle last returned back to back clean sheets in August 2013 - 73 games ago (all games).
  • Thistle only have 1 win in the last 12 competitive games vs Kilmarnock.
  • Thistle are 62 games since back to back wins in the Top Flight. By virtue of absenteeism, it's the longest run in this category by time span (almost 11 years), and actually the 3rd longest run by game span. The last such run was over 100 years ago and it's this run which stands as the record, as the Jags went 77 games without back to back Top Flight wins, from the 2nd November 1912 to the 5th December 1914. If back to back wins are not forthcoming, this record will be equalled on match day 37 and beaten on match day 38.
  • In his 6th game for the club, Freddy loses a goal from open play for the first time, but makes up for it by netting his first goal for the club, earning an important point in the process. Centre halves love a goal more. :D
  • Belgium becomes the 17th known country to be represented in the Thistle goal scoring charts. The full list reads: Australia, Belgium, England, Finland, France, Ghana, India, Ireland, Ivory Coast, Kosovo, Namibia, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Sweden, the USA and Wales. Of course, it would be foolish to rule out the possibilty of unearthing new discoveries from the past, British colonies in the victorian age, that sort of thing. If you know of any others please let me know!
  • In this season's Premiership, Thistle now have 15 different League goalscorers, a spread which is only bettered by Celtic (17) and Dundee United (16).
  • As previously mentioned, another 3 goal scorers in the League would equal the all-time club record spread of 18 which was set in 1999-00. The current outfield players who've appeared in this season's campaign but have yet to score are (with 2014-15 League appearances in brackets): Declan McDaid (10), Dale Keenan (4), Sean Welsh (3), David Wilson (2) and Liam Lindsay (1).
  • Thistle have now played 28 competitive games since registering a back to back win, draw or loss, a 29 game sequence which stretches from 3rd May 2014 to date.
  • Thistle stay 9th in the Premiership for the 10th match in a row.

The three to set the record: McDaid, Keenan and Lindsay.............unlikely

or Sean Welsh :lol:

^ Yep, Jean-Yves scored just the once, it was the 26th July 2003, in front of 1,673 at the stadium of dreams. His goal was a 7th minute equaliser in a 3-1 victory over the then Highland League champions. Apparently, they were last-minute replacements for Barnsley who were banned from playing by the English FA on some sort of financial wrong doing.

Our "Indian" scorer was indeed Scottish internationalist Paul Wilson who was born there to a Scottish father and a Dutch-Portuguese mother. To round it all off, our globe trotter scored his only two Thistle goals in Canada in thon Gathering o' the Clans tournament in 1979. Perhaps even more unusually, he scored in each of his first two games and never again.

Rajiv Pathak was born in Chennai, India. Lived in Derby as a teenager, later settled in Glasgow where he operated clothes shops in the south side. Never scored though, so Paul is the sole flag bearer for the Indian nation. Although, like Conrad, he's about as Scottish as a plate of haggis in reality...

Rajiv Pathak was born in Chennai, India. Lived in Derby as a teenager, later settled in Glasgow where he operated clothes shops in the south side. Never scored though, so Paul is the sole flag bearer for the Indian nation. Although, like Conrad, he's about as Scottish as a plate of haggis in reality...

I remember going into the petrol station in Kegworth, on the border between Derbyshire and Leicestershire, and a guy spotted the badge on my Thistle top and started telling me all about his mate Joe who played for Thistle, Indian guy. I just assumed the guy was talking bollocks.

I remember him playing in a Glasgow Cup tie at Firhill v Celtic and could have sworn he scored that night. I think there were a few goals and we maybe lost 3-2?

Bizarre fact (open to challenge). Monday night boredom...

If you excluded the last goal scored in every game since we were promoted, our stats would be...

Last season - W 14 D 15 L 9 - Pts 57 (+19)

This season - W 9 D 8 L 5 - Pts 35 (+10)

No wonder it's been painful!

Edited by allyo

I remember him playing in a Glasgow Cup tie at Firhill v Celtic and could have sworn he scored that night. I think there were a few goals and we maybe lost 3-2?

He played that night for sure but it seems doubtful that he scored. Both the history book and the Glasgow Herald say Alan Logan and Willie Herd. You can read the press report at the PT History Archive...

http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/v+Celtic+GC+1985

• Like 1

Bizarre fact (open to challenge). Monday night boredom...

If you excluded the last goal scored in every game since we were promoted, our stats would be...

Last season - W 14 D 15 L 9 - Pts 57 (+19)

This season - W 9 D 8 L 5 - Pts 35 (+10)

No wonder it's been painful!

I done calculations for this season and I think came up with the same or similar answer, bit brutal indeed!