Dundee On Saturday

Vinnyjag

Only Partick Thistle could have put themselves in the position we are now in after such a bright start. To be honest we are not a particularly good team based on the matches I've seen this season i.e. around 90% of them! I think too many people have been kidding themselves on this season about the supposed quality of pair team and indeed our playa.

Quite frankly if we cannot beat Ross County on Saturday I frankly fear for our top flight status. I'm certainly not a knicker wetter, nor am I a 'happy clapper', but so many times this season we have screwed up chances to secure our survival that one must say that we are frankly not good enough!

• Like 1

I think Archie needs to sit down and work out what his best team is and play it. He is becoming a bit of a Tinkerman.

Very true Vinnyjag.

Believe constant chopping and changing, due to injury or otherwise has not helped. Playing one upfront all season has compounded matters further.

Some of Archies decisions are a bit baffling, however, if people complain that we have a better squad now than in the past, then for this, they must give credit to Archie, as he has built this squad and is very good at getting decent payers to our club on a shoe string. If we had a squad full of third rate players we really would be in trouble.

I remember during the summer, there were alot of people on this forum questioning Archies wisdom in giving Steview Lawless a new contract, now the same people are complaining that he hasn't been signed up for longer!

Very true Vinnyjag.

Believe constant chopping and changing, due to injury or otherwise has not helped. Playing one upfront all season has compounded matters further.

Some of Archies decisions are a bit baffling, however, if people complain that we have a better squad now than in the past, then for this, they must give credit to Archie, as he has built this squad and is very good at getting decent payers to our club on a shoe string. If we had a squad full of third rate players we really would be in trouble.

I remember during the summer, there were alot of people on this forum questioning Archies wisdom in giving Steview Lawless a new contract, now the same people are complaining that he hasn't been signed up for longer!

The time to judge the manager is at the end of the season. Even if we lose the next three games he won't be sacked. This knicker wetting was going on this time last season as well and from the same culprits, who if I remember correctly disappeared after the Hearts game. If we go down, his job will rightly be in jeopardy. If we stay up he has done his job. There are people on here that think we should be in the top 6, some even quoted early on last season that we should be going for Europe. Look at the facts. How many times has our club finished in the Top 6 in the top division of Scottish football? The club has been going for close on 140 years and only once has our league position got us into Europe. We are where we are. Archie has made mistakes this season, some very disappointing ones to say the least, but if he keeps us up I am sure he will have satisfied the target set out for him by the board.

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 4

Agree Lindau, I certainly dont think it would benefit anyone if Archie was sacked. I think by and large he has done a pretty decent job, particularly in changing our inability to win away from home in the first division which ultimately won us the league.

I just think lately he has been making 3 or 4 changes week in week out, fair enough some are enforced through injury but some are not I.e. Gallagher. Hopefully he selects a te for Sat that really is geared to have a real go from the KO

• Like 2

Agreed Vinny, I have backed him constantly but it doesn't mean that he is immune from criticism from me. ICT team selection was a disgrace and yesterday just why Stevo wasn't playing is beyond me. Also, with Lyle Taylor coming back I really thought it might spark Higgy into life, but unless I have missed something the both of them have not been on the pitch together in the 270 minutes of football played since Taylor returned!

• Like 2

The time to judge the manager is at the end of the season. Even if we lose the next three games he won't be sacked. This knicker wetting was going on this time last season as well and from the same culprits, who if I remember correctly disappeared after the Hearts game. If we go down, his job will rightly be in jeopardy. If we stay up he has done his job. There are people on here that think we should be in the top 6, some even quoted early on last season that we should be going for Europe. Look at the facts. How many times has our club finished in the Top 6 in the top division of Scottish football? The club has been going for close on 140 years and only once has our league position got us into Europe. We are where we are. Archie has made mistakes this season, some very disappointing ones to say the least, but if he keeps us up I am sure he will have satisfied the target set out for him by the board.

Most sensible post I've read in ages. Archie will be our manager until the end of the season and that's when he should be judged. Yes he deserves some criticism for his odd team selections but shouting for a change in management at this late stage isn't going to help us. Recent bad run has been frustrating but it's not a meltdown. We're Partick Thistle and we win when we want.

Most sensible post I've read in ages. Archie will be our manager until the end of the season and that's when he should be judged. Yes he deserves some criticism for his odd team selections but shouting for a change in management at this late stage isn't going to help us. Recent bad run has been frustrating but it's not a meltdown. We're Partick Thistle and we win when we want.

I'm not aware many people at this moment are asking for Archie to be sacked, not going to happen anyway so bit of a non issue.

However he is getting criticism not least as the season has progressed we have gone backwards in terms of results and performances

The lack of evidence that he is 'learning' is the most worrying thing if all eg how many times do you need to play Stevo up front yo realise it doesn't work

He needs help

Agree with Javejag.Saturday is a big game and I hope Archie is planning to attack County from the off and I hope our starting team shows that.We should be practising crossing and set pieces all week.

We are in a good position and if we mucked it up from here questions would need to be asked.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 1

There have been enough (less than) subtle hints by some that a change is needed. I interpret that as getting rid of Archie but I agree it's not going to happen. I would defend any fans right to criticise the team selection, tactics etc but to say Archie's not learning or needs help is rather patronising. He didn't need help when he led us to promotion or when he kept us up in the SPL last year. We've lost a few games on the trot, we're all frustrated as Jags fans but it'll get better.

• Like 3

There have been enough (less than) subtle hints by some that a change is needed. I interpret that as getting rid of Archie but I agree it's not going to happen. I would defend any fans right to criticise the team selection, tactics etc but to say Archie's not learning or needs help is rather patronising. He didn't need help when he led us to promotion or when he kept us up in the SPL last year. We've lost a few games on the trot, we're all frustrated as Jags fans but it'll get better.

I said last year he needed help and nothing has changed my mind

Learning on the job can work if there is someone to guide you through the process

Our last 4 games have been depressing

Just watched the goal again and tho' it obviously stems from Doolan's error there's no way that should've lead to a goal. I'm often on my high horse about others always looking for a scapegoat and I feel a bit guilty and hypocritical doing likewise. With that in mind I won't pass the blame to any other player but in retrospect Harkins should probably have been bundled off the ball the earlier the better. Play was stretched and that would've given time to regroup and organise.

Doolan can have no real excuse for his blunder but there's something rather ironic about him carrying the can for their goal . He was heavily criticised in the first game against Accies for not being "cute" and stopping (ie fouling) a Hamilton player in their half. Other Jags players should have been "cute" yesterday.

Btw tho' I'm long past caring Sportscene excelling itself tonight in its incompetence. Informed the audience in commentary that Dundee had made two half time substitutions but failed to mention that we had changed our goalkeeper. I'm a viewer that hardly craves information but even I would appreciate being told a team had changed its ******' goalie.

Not a single shot on target, according to the BBC. Only one goal scored in the last four matches....

Something isn't right.

When "luck" is mentioned twice in a summing up <http://ptfc.co.uk/teams/senior/seasons/2014-2015/fixtures_results/1402_dundee/reaction> that's usually an indication that the writer doesn't understand something, and if Archie doesn't understand what's going on he won't be able to fix it. :(

Wasn't at Dens, but from the highlights it did look like we created the better chances. Our defending is still awful though. I appreciate that highlights rarely tell the real story of a game.

Even a 0-0 there would have given us a stop to the creeping sense of negativity.

I couldn't make the St Miren game and all I heard on the radio was how Saints came out really fast out of the traps. What I can't get my head round is.....how hard can it be in the dressing room before a match to say to our players.....look....these will be right up for this...make sure we are too...they'll be right at us from the off...we need to be sharper and faster than them....COME ON....let's get right intae this from the off!!!

Ross County will no doubt be as up for this as Saints from the off....like St Mirren they will be desperate for the points and will put us under presssure..........why can't we start the game like a hurricane instead of waiting to lose a goal and then getting the finger out. Don't we want it just as bad?

The players need an Alec Neil kinda talk.......every game. Whatever he says, his players always seem to be up for it from the start. Or our players dont get it until the anaesthetic wears off after 10 mins.