Steven Lawless Tweet

ThickAsThieves

I'd terminate his contract for stepping over the line, would send a hard message to the rest of the dressing room too.

Yep.

Especially as he did something similar last season (Oct 2013) by all accounts.

Edited to add- Do the club not have a social media policy in place? I'm sure I read Sean Welsh saying that they weren't allowed to tweet on the day of a match, before or after.

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy

Yep.

Especially as he did something similar last season (Oct 2013) by all accounts.

Edited to add- Do the club not have a social media policy in place? I'm sure I read Sean Welsh saying that they weren't allowed to tweet on the day of a match, before or after.

Yeh, I'm pretty sure McNamara brought this policy in. Quite a few players used to post after games.

The fact it mimicked Eccleston's tweet makes it far worse in my opinion. Wouldn't mind the club terminating his contract. He obviously doesn't want to be here and isn't playing anyway.

To be fair, Stevie Lawless is only stating the obvious, in that he has no future at Thistle, he is a small player and would be better suited to a club where skillfull players can flourish.

The type of "football" that we now play has basically made Stevie redundant, it says alot about our current set up that there's no place for a player with skill and a first class footballing brain at Firhill anymore.

You can see how this is going to play out, who in their right mind with any talent will want to join Thistle, as we are rapidly turning into rank rotten hoofball team and a day centre for footballing misfits and wasters.

Good luck to you Stevie you deserve better than this.

To be fair, Stevie Lawless is only stating the obvious, in that he has no future at Thistle, he is a small player and would be better suited to a club where skillfull players can flourish.

The type of "football" that we now play has basically made Stevie redundant, it says alot about our current set up that there's no place for a player with skill and a first class footballing brain at Firhill anymore.

You can see how this is going to play out, who in their right mind with any talent will want to join Thistle, as we are rapidly turning into rank rotten hoofball team and a day centre for footballing misfits and wasters.

Good luck to you Stevie you deserve better than this.

I get what you're saying & agree with most, if not all, of what you wrote but the tweet would've been bad enough after a 3-1 victory.

It stinks of someone who is petulant, not a team player.

Something is rotten n the state of Rome & Lawless has mad it clear he doesn't want to be there so he can shuffle off & enjoy his new scenery.

As far as I'm concerned he can take the manager & every player who have indicated they're off in the Summer, with him.

Always liked Lawless, but this isn't on. He's paid well to play football - many people's dream job - and then posts such a petulant tweet?

Thanks for the memories Stevie, but Thistle don't owe you anything so either apologise publicly or find yourself a club that will put up with such childish behaviour.

Really sad that we're in this situation not long after the #wegotthis & even the end of last season.

• Like 1

The players aren't banned from using Twitter, or social media, unless the policy has changed.

Additional guidelines were put in place that prevented them from tweeting a certain number of hours before a game and a certain number of hours after the match. I forget the exact times.

Stevie Lawless broke the social media policy at the weekend.

I guess he was angry and frustrated that he isn't starting every week. Good, I don't want a player to be happy not to be playing.

He made an ill-judged tweet which was subsequently deleted (perhaps upon instruction). He's hardly the first person to have post on social media in anger.

Silly and ill-judged? Absolutely.

An act worthy of having his contract ripped up? Hardly.

• Like 11

The players aren't banned from using Twitter, or social media, unless the policy has changed.

Additional guidelines were put in place that prevented them from tweeting a certain number of hours before a game and a certain number of hours after the match. I forget the exact times.

I guess he was angry and frustrated that he isn't starting every week. Good, I don't want a player to be happy not to be playing.

He made an ill-judged tweet which was subsequently deleted (perhaps upon instruction). He's hardly the first person to have post on social media in anger.

the most sensible post on this thread

Have ran out of likes, but totally agree. We need our best players playing and back in form over the next few weeks to try and get back on track. Lawless has been one of our better players this season and I for one was surprised when the manager dropped him. The players are the only ones that can get us out of our current position so it's time they knocked their heads together and started doing it on the park for themselves, the manager and the supporters.

Excellent post and a very a sensible viewpoint considering some of the total nonsense being spouted on this forum since the weekends result.

It was no doubt done out of frustration due to lack of game time which is understandable considering what he lad brings to the team and what the team certainly needs.

Everybody is looking for a scapegoat for the problems at Thistle just now and reading through the many threads that have started since the weekend, some folk need to take a good look at themselves for the drivel they spout.

Misjudged or not, employers have social media guidelines for a reason.

Most local authorities have it as a sackable offence.

Then there was the wording of the tweet which was apparently a carbon copy of Ecclestone's pre Xmas not to mention under minding the manager publicly.

I've made no bones about not being sure Archibald being the man to lead us forward but Lawless over stepped the mark doing this publicly for the second time.

Strikes me as a petulant school kid not being picked for his school team & wanting to tell all his friends about it.

Go knock the manager's door & ask why rather than spit your dummy on social media.

Excellent post and a very a sensible viewpoint considering some of the total nonsense being spouted on this forum since the weekends result.

It was no doubt done out of frustration due to lack of game time which is understandable considering what he lad brings to the team and what the team certainly needs.

Everybody is looking for a scapegoat for the problems at Thistle just now and reading through the many threads that have started since the weekend, some folk need to take a good look at themselves for the drivel they spout.

To be fair Billko I have been following the team for longer than I care to admit ( look at the who are the Thistle players thread) I know where my team stands in the scheme of things in Scottish football and I accept that, but one thing I won't stand for is players not giving a toss, throwing the towel in, etc etc. if you haven't seen it, have a look at the third goal on Saturday and give me an honest answer as to whether you think that is acceptable. The lack of the usual drama seekers on the thread I quoted makes me think they are not particularly old enough to realise that this is the norm for our football club. Constant up and downs. I accepted this many years ago, but one thing I won't accept is players downing tools and not fighting for the club and supporters that's paying their wages.

Edited by Lindau

I agree entirely with Tom. If Stevie is taken to task for breaking our social media rules it'll be done quietly and in private.

As for drivel been spouted and scapegoating I'll have to take billko's word. I heard enough of that during the game and can't be bothered reading half the threads. By the time you'd take you can be sure two or three other posters would have started a thread that'll in no time be basically repeating the same blinkered patter over and over. Some on here appear to believe the number of times you say the same thing makes their point more valid or more likely,invalid.

Not exactly looking forward to our next two games (if indeed I go to both) but at least I know the team will receive more tolerant and enthusiastic support than they'd receive playing at home.

• Like 2

As for drivel been spouted and scapegoating I'll have to take billko's word. I heard enough of that during the game and can't be bothered reading half the threads. By the time you'd take you can be sure two or three other posters would have started a thread that'll in no time be basically repeating the same blinkered patter over and over. Some on here appear to believe the number of times you say the same thing makes their point more valid or more likely,invalid.

Not exactly looking forward to our next two games (if indeed I go to both) but at least I know the team will receive more tolerant and enthusiastic support than they'd receive playing at home.

It's just a rehash of the exact same arguments from this time last year from mostly the same people. Perhaps a few more after Saturday given the display. If we stay up they will disappear until the next time. If we go down, they will have a field day. I was confident we wouldn't be involved anywhere near the relegation zone but we are in it and it's now up to the players to get us out. Pretty sure even if we are relegated by whatever means, the board will back the manager to get us back up next season, so in my opinion, and that's all it is, it's a total waste of time speculating about Archie.

Very sensible posts from Tom Hosie & Bilko.

I like Steve Lawless as a player and think his form and ability has merited a start. His tweet was a bit daft but at least it shows that he wants to play.

There is a lot of fake outrage and lack of perspective which is fairly typical of Social Media.

With the lynch mob mentality on here and all the players and management who are to be binned, Bilko might be coaching the side at Tannadice next week and his son & young mates will be in the team.

like the thistle player who knocked on bertie auld's door

'why am i in the second team?' he demanded

'because we don't have third team. next...!'

...or in Brian Clough's case with Martin O'Neil at Nottingham Forest, "Boss why do you keep playing me in the reserves?" Answer,"because you're too good for the third team".

• Like 1

It's been the same arguments because nothing has changed.

The super fan "support the team no matter what" chat was far worse than people critiquing the tactical ability of the manager.

But we're beyond that stage now anyway. Thankfully the fans are beginning to get come around and see that we have a serious problem. The players have an attitude problem and no amount happy clapping and rallying behind them will sort it out.

They clearly don't care.

I would have be interesting to read what the above people said when Campbell was in charge. We probably wouldn't been in the Premiership if we backed Dick Campbell's team joyously until they miraculously propelled up the table.

He needed sacked and he was.

The same signs are here now but the fan boys/girls would rather take relegation than admit they were wrong about AA all along.