Other Players To Target -

Third Lanark

Ainsworth is another good shout, but is he or will he be available?

I think Ainsworth will be out of contract, so he could possibly be a shout as a replacement for Higgy, who I'm certain will leave.

That De Vita boy at County also appears to be out of contract, so in the unlikely scenario that they don't renew it, he'd be worth a punt IMO. Been impressed when I've seen him play. Jamie MacDonald's contract at Falkirk is also out and I'd take him over Fox or Gallacher so he could be worth a look.

On Declan McManus, seen him play a couple of times this season (v. Us, Ayr and Stanraer) and he's impressed me each time, and a Morton supporting friend who hasn't missed a game this season says he's been clearly a step above most of their team. Not convinced he's ready to make the step up to Premiership level just yet, but if available I'd like to take him and then loan him out to a Championship team for 6 months/a season. I think he's got a lot of potential to be a really decent striker at this level at least.

And I wouldn't take any of the Rangers players being released, Mohsni has shown time and again he's a bombscare and gets shown up whenever he faces top flight players, Hutton simply isn't better than any of the options we have for centre midfield, Miller is past it, Boyd could still have something but simply won't fit into our system.

Adam Eckersley from Hearts I'd love us to sign, looks a really decent left back which we've sorely lacked for much of this season, but unfortunately I doubt if he'd be interested in what would probably be viewed at best, as a sideways move. Lewis Stevenson from Hibs is also out of contract, but as he is Mr. Hibernian Football Club, it's unlikely that he won't sign a new one IMO, although if available could be worth a look IMO.

Got a feeling we'll have to strengthen and/or replace in the wide areas. Re Ainsworth he looks the part but it would worry me he rarely plays anything like 90 mins most weeks. And that's for a club hardly blessed with options. I sense, given our requirements for pace and getting forward, the full back situation will be the most crucial.

Got a feeling we'll have to strengthen and/or replace in the wide areas. Re Ainsworth he looks the part but it would worry me he rarely plays anything like 90 mins most weeks. And that's for a club hardly blessed with options. I sense, given our requirements for pace and getting forward, the full back situation will be the most crucial.

I'd agree with that, its essential we get a good left back (whether that's Booth or someone else) in, and also a replacement for SOD, as I'm all but certain he's away. Out of interest, has anyone seen much of Ryan Finnie who we signed at the same time as Booth? Would he be a candidate to replace SOD next season or is he simply not ready for that?

I'd agree with that, its essential we get a good left back (whether that's Booth or someone else) in, and also a replacement for SOD, as I'm all but certain he's away. Out of interest, has anyone seen much of Ryan Finnie who we signed at the same time as Booth? Would he be a candidate to replace SOD next season or is he simply not ready for that?

Seen Finnie a few times. In fact just going to watch him this afternoon. Good pace gets up and down the wing fine. Kinda SOD lite at the moment. If we were in the division below he'd maybe considered near first team ready. I'm guessing wildly but I think he'd only be considered in an injury crisis just now but looks to have a future.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

The 116 Premiership players out of contract at end of the season (as of 27/4)

In terms of players to pinch from relegated teams, I'd be interested in...

St. Mirren: John McGinn (fee required?).

Motherwell: Lionel Ainsworth, Iain Vigurs, Lee Erwin (fee required?), Scott McDonald.

Ross County: Liam Boyce, Richard Brittain, Raffaele De Vita, Filip Kiss, Paul Quinn.

Kilmarnock: Craig Slater (fee required?).

It is kinda fun to speculate and I was gonna jump in with a comment on this, but the more I think about it the more I respect Archie.

It's fairly easy to come up with a wish list. Then, one might pare it down in consideration of budget and necessity, evaluate how much to speculate on change and improvements, consider suitability of skill, atitude, age, experience etc... but even when you've done everything you can to come to a reasoned conclusion and try to make things happen a player decides he just fancies somwhere else. :wall:

In short... In Archie I trust. Absolutely the right man for us. He'll be hard pushed to make a better signing than he was himself. :thumbsup2:

I've seen Finnie a couple of times and can't make up my mind. First time I thought he was a straight drop in for SOD but the next time he looked very vulnerable and when he lost the ball seemed to give up and not chase the guy who had taken the ball off him. Then I thought back and that had happened a couple of times first time round. Soooo! Maybe a bit to go.

The guy I like is Jack Hendry who got mom today. Probably a couple of years away but he does look confident and accomplished. Going to be a big lad too when he fills out.

Keenan never impresses me. Loses the ball far too often. Don't think he'll make it. But what do I know?

Christie played centre today and reminded me why we thought we would be shot of him a couple of years back. But we know now he had value in other areas.

Fraser was out today as well and didn't have a great match either, in keeping with the rest of the team. Looked lethargic. Maybe a wee bit pissed off because he's out of favour?

The guy I like is Jack Hendry who got mom today. Probably a couple of years away but he does look confident and accomplished.

I've only seen one development match - a home loss to Dundee - and that was mainly to see Welsh's return. But Hendry did catch my eye then too, he looked really comfortable on the ball and was very good in the air. A very promising prospect.

I've seen Finnie a couple of times and can't make up my mind. First time I thought he was a straight drop in for SOD but the next time he looked very vulnerable and when he lost the ball seemed to give up and not chase the guy who had taken the ball off him. Then I thought back and that had happened a couple of times first time round. Soooo! Maybe a bit to go. The guy I like is Jack Hendry who got mom today. Probably a couple of years away but he does look confident and accomplished. Going to be a big lad too when he fills out. Keenan never impresses me. Loses the ball far too often. Don't think he'll make it. But what do I know? Christie played centre today and reminded me why we thought we would be shot of him a couple of years back. But we know now he had value in other areas. Fraser was out today as well and didn't have a great match either, in keeping with the rest of the team. Looked lethargic. Maybe a wee bit pissed off because he's out of favour?

Possibly Finnie has come from a team where they are not coached the right way? Maybe when he's been with us a few months we'll see a difference?

Edited by Mr Bunny

Our list of players out of contract is depressing (if some of them don't get signed up soon).

It's only depressing because they've done well. Start of the season I don't think anyone was too concerned at the likes of Balatoni, O'Donnell, Lawless, Craigen, Fox or Elliott running out their contracts. But they've all made the step up this season.

Positive way of looking at it I suppose.

Edited by allyo

Ainsworth's always been decent against Thistle, but the Motherwell fans have been very critical of him this season. Been in and out of their team all year.

Brother in Law is a Well season ticket holder. Says he is too inconsistent, loses interest if he is getting tightly marked and falls out of games too easily if things ain't going his way (like the last game when Booth had him in his back pocket) On his game he is very good, but BIL says you see that in about one out of every five games! Bizarrely enough I was in the Electric with him and his Well mates before the game at Christmas and every one of them said they would love Higgy back at Fir Park.

Edited by Lindau

I see Dundee Utd have said today they will be releasing Brian Graham,Gardyne and Keith Watson. I'd take Gardyne, maybe Graham aswell if we couldn't get Taylor back.I think Watson has been out for most of the season with an injury.

I expect Graham will sign for St J and Gardyne may well stay at RC

Graham wouldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. Not good enough for us

Except for hitting 9 goals in 20 starts for the team currently sitting in fourth in the league?

Just because he's knocked us back before doesn't make him a poor player. Archie couldn't get near him in the 3-2 home game against Raith in the promotion season and that's why I reckon he made him a prime target that summer. He's now proven himself as a capable enough goalscorer at this level and as such, I imagine we'll be in for him again this summer. Think St Johnstone will obviously be in pole position to sign him, though.