Players Released

Fawlty Towers

Can't imagine Craigen wanting an obscene amount of money!

I'd be fine with Lindsay being third choice and Hendry fourth too. He's had plenty of first team football at Championship and League One levels. The January transfer window helps in this situation too, if we need to bring one in we can.

Should we start with Scully next season? I'd be inclined to go for it.

Wilson and McDaid will undoubtedly play a bigger role than they have this season.

I feel we need at least: First choice - right-back, winger and striker. Possibly goalkeeper. Cover - attacking midfield.

Edited by ThickAsThieves

Paul Cairney released by Killie. Still think there is a very good player in there somewhere but obvious fitness issues. Could a return home spark his career off again ?

He had a great season for us before he moved to Hibs, but since then he does not appear to have progressed; if anything, he seems to have gone into reverse. I think we should be looking for better.

I wasn't at the game yesterday, but I must admit I've liked the look of David Wilson every time I've seen him, and I personally rate him higher than I do McDaid, so would be very happy to see him be given a good chance at it next season. Likewise with Liam Lindsay who I think will be the best thing to come out of Firhill in the last few years, looks to be a cracking player. Scully is an odd one, the only time I've ever seen him play was against Queens Park in the 5-4 game when every shot he faced was a goal just about so I've never seen that much to judge him but he seems to have been outstanding at Dunfermline, and if we've told them he won't be back then it could signal that we think he's ready?

We will be needing a few players in, but I have no issue with the younger players being given their chance, indeed I would actively encourage it.

What was this McLaughlin boy like btw? I'm guessing he's a winger/attacking midfielder since he came on for Higginbotham but I have no idea.

We still need a right back, Lyle Taylor (or other striker if we can't get him) and cover in some other positions.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

Wasn't too impressed with any of the young guys yesterday, though Hendry did quite well. If he fills out a bit, there could be a half decent central defender in there. Thought Wilson was disappointing and very hard to judge McLaughlin for the time he was on. Not going to write off young boys after their first appearance, there did appear to be potential there, but if we are going to run with them next season, it could be a very long season. As for the rest, Booth stood out a mile. He had Ainsworth in his back pocket again and despite a couple of errors that could have resulted in goals, I thought BRE looked very commanding and with Seabiscuits injury woes, it might have been worth keeping him if Conrad does move on. Foxy pulled off a couple of great saves, especially one from a free kick. The scenes at the end confirmed, SOD and Higgy are definitely offski.

Like a lot of jags fans I have always had a soft spot for the guys who weren't world beaters but ran their arse into the ground for the team, Bobby Law, Paul McLaughlin, Gary Peebles, etc, etc. I always wanted to see James Craigen have more impact on games than he did for us but good luck to him. One of the ex players you want to see doing well. Maybe he just needed a change of scenery, but good luck Jimmy boy.

Jimmy was released because Archie has Been told to trim the squad numbers and has had to make some difficult calls. I am sure he would have preferred to keep him. No offer would have therefore been made to extend his contract. I reckon squad numbers will be made up by younger players on considerably smaller wages with some current contract extensions being made on slightly improved offers eg. Abdul and booth.

Making funds available to pay wages of a good striker will also be the priority for the management team. To do that will require sacrifice in other areas.

In a way the squad has already been trimmed: we've not replaced McMillan (don't forget he was cover for several positions at the time we had both ATS and O'Donnell). I'd expect we'll also be letting Welsh go and with Craigen gone that's three fairly big wages (by our standards) saved.

When you think of it we went through a large part of the season without a proper left back and without a second centre forward (with Stevenson filling in at times though it's not his best position). So we seem to work with a limited squad OK. I guess our system helps as players are used to be playing several positions: Elliot is a prime example and even the likes of Lawless can play across the attacking line. Still I would expect (and hope) that "trimming the squad" is a loose way of saying "trimming the wage bill" and we will have decent numbers/cover by the use of development squad players and the odd clever/bargain signing

It's sad to see good players leave the club, but it's a fact of life for a club of our size. We have had a successful season, the players have been noticed and if their contract is up they are likely to move on, hence more kudos to Archie for getting the likes of Abs and Booth tied up as early as this. Archie has proved to be very astute in the market and that will have to be the case next season. Christie Elliot played well in SODs position yesterday and I think he will get the nod there next season as he has a good engine and given the fact that he got a 2 year contract makes me think Archie had told him the position is his. There will be plenty coming in supplemented by some of the younger guys, so no panic required at the moment.

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

^^

Another thing in our favour is we've got the spine of the team still intact: Frans and Seabourne, Bannigan and Osman, Fraser - Elliot - Stevenson and Dools up front. Of course we need to replace players who are leaving but our great strength is we play a flexible system which allows us to defend solidly and attack with speed and flair. This is down to players knowing each other's game so well and keeping the backbone of the team is vital.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I'm not too sure I get this trimming squad thingy. Even if we weren't to replace everybody who is leaving there are quite a few of the youngsters ready to step up. Don't like pigeon holing but guys like Lindsay & Wilson would only be played in an emergency at the start of last season, fringe players if you like, but now can be considered squad players. McDaid you could maybe term a squad player to start with last season but would be no shock if he became a regular starter in the season coming.

Point I'm making is we won't have any worries from a numbers point of view. We'll be well enough covered to an acceptable standard. The players we bring in don't need to match the players leaving in numbers. It's quality not numbers.

"Smaller squad, better quality."

The manager, last night.

Sounds like putting a positive spin on our current circumstances where several first teamers are out of contract and looking likely to walk since we aren't going to be able to match what they can get elsewhere (or think they can get elsewhere (since we don't really know what any of the likely departees have been offered elsewhere - beyond rumours)).

A budget cut could, also, well be happening as a result of reduced income this season compared to last due to lower crowds, and we can't really argue with the budget being trimmed if we aren't making enough to support our current spending (don't want another Save the Jags).

Seems conceivable that an opinion has been formed that the sort of guys we we are going to be able to round up from the free transfer market, on the mid-lower end of our wage scale, aren't going to be any great improvement on what we already have coming through the youth development set up.

If so it could well be that we'd be better off spreading whatever budget is remaining, after any final re-signings take place, thicker and on a smaller number of new bodies.

As others have already pointed out the whole point of a youth development policy is to get some of them into the first team so maybe we think we're at that point now or close enough allowing for what we can afford to spend.

Is this correct: Craigen has been released while Welsh has been retained? Does that look sensible?

Got to hope given his glass legs that if (and it is a pretty big if) Welsh is being retained it will be on a minimal basic wage with almost all his earnings coming from appearance money and other bonuses which are tied to him actually playing regularly. Given the trimmed squad narrative we are being sold at the moment I guess the argument will be that Craigen is probably not a regular starter but feasibly a fit Welsh (which granted is a bit of a theoretical concept at the moment) could be with a possible subtext that within the revised budget for next season Craigen wasn't going to sign what we were prepared to offer and Welch will.

• Members

With our success over the past couple of seasons, especially this season, along with us being one of the lowest paying Clubs in the division, other Clubs that are able to offer more cash were bound to come in for our better players. If we lose our better players, I hope we lose them to teams from down South or abroad.

I can really only see Hearts or Dundee United being an attractive side for our out of contract players to sign for probably followed by ICT, St Johnstone and maybe even Hibs. I can't imagine any of the other Clubs in the Division offering much more or offering a better chance of furthering their careers.

It was interesting to hear Stevie Thomson saying on Sportscene earlier that most Clubs now only want to offer 1 year contracts. I wonder if we fall into that bracket also, only willing to offer 1 year instead of 2 to our out of contract stars? Booth and Osman both only signing 1 year deals. Have Higgy, Conrad and Scott only been offered 1 year deals hence why they are seeking pastures new? It'll be interesting to see what length the deals that are signed over the next couple of weeks.

Plenty of rumours going around that Higgy is going to Hibs!

Now that makes no sense. He does know that Hibs will be playing in the Championship next season and if Rangers get promoted there will be next to no publicity on that league. Not the best career move for him.