New Season, Old Doubts

Metzmagic

Saturday sees the beginning of a new season. There appears to be a bit of apathy/ doubt/ pessimism. Is it warranted? Yes we have lost a few players but signed a few players. Launched a new strip, Twittered the life out of our new mascot. BUT surely we are better placed than the likes of Motherwell, Killie and Hamilton for the season ahead! It's Thistle and we could be anywhere and nowhere so start viewing those YouTUbe clips and a magical Thistle moment may happen this year! In Archie We Trust! Onward and let's start by putting Hamilton in their place!

I think the pre-season games show we have a good solid squad, and there is promise among the crop of young players who are part of it. However, we are lacking a real creator or goal scorer that might lift things a bit. Two seasons ago, there was the lift of promotion and the squad being enhanced a bit as a result. Last season, we signed Ryan Stevenson reasonably early and then picked up guys like Abdul and Freddie later.

I am hoping Amoo can make a contribution above that we have seen so far. He has great pace and got a few decent crosses in against Wigan, but we need to get behind defences and move the ball forward faster. So far, it looks like we still need someone to fill that role.

I am confident that Doolz will score goals and that Nisbet can too, but we need to create the opportunities first.

A decent result at the Acciea would get us off to a good start and even though they finished above us last season, in none of the fixtures I saw, dis I think they were better. Mon the Jags....

• Like 2

However, we are lacking a real creator or goal scorer that might lift things a bit.

We do have a real creator in Stevie Lawless, I don't think anyone could dispute that, and judging on preseason games and the amount of quality crosses that he put into the box, David Amoo looks like he'll be one as well. We also have a goal scorer in Kris Doolan. Although I do agree that we need another striker, Doolan is a proven goalscorer and he is more than capable of leading the line until, and including when, we get another striker in.

The loss of Sod , Higgy and failing to get Taylor has overshadowed the usual optimism at the start of a season.Three very exciting players gone and Higgy playing directly against us is a bummer.

I think a lot of us are more down about things than we should be however. Amoo looks like being a very effective signing, we seem to have a better keeper, the midfield is strong with lots of competition and most importantly there is an emergence of young players genuinely challenging for places .

The close season is always a strange one. There isn't much to talk about, so rumours get used as facts, conclusions are jumped to, small worries become magnified due to the lack of news. There's no doubt we need one player, maybe 2, but I'm hopeful we will see some good stuff in the season ahead. I would say the player worries are actually less than they were last pre-season, maybe due to the emergence of some promising youngsters.

I'm hoping to see the club really back their talk on the matchday experience too.

Our past three seasons...

2014/15: 8th in the Premiership

2013/14: 10th in the Premiership

2012/13: 1st in the First Division

If people are doubting us AGAIN then what can you do? Those 'old doubts' came to nothing, so I'm not concerned.

We've got a good, competitive squad which lacks a striker to compete with Doolan and maybe one more attacking option. We'll finish anywhere from 5th-12th in my book. It's going to be an exciting season!

Edited by ThickAsThieves
  • Like 5

Our past three seasons...

2014/15: 8th in the Premiership

2013/14: 10th in the Premiership

2012/13: 1st in the First Division

If people are doubting us AGAIN then what can you do? Those 'old doubts' came to nothing, so I'm not concerned.

We've got a good, competitive squad which lacks a striker to compete with Doolan and maybe one more attacking option. We'll finish anywhere from 5th-12th in my book. It's going to be an exciting season!

This...

Consistency pre Xmas & cutting out mistakes at the back will see us turning some of last seasons draws into wins & defeats into draws...

Sellick & Aberdeen (possibly Hearts aside) not a lot between the teams - consistency is key

I'm actually hugely optimistic about this season. The midfield looks stronger than ever with Welsh back, Cerny is twice the keeper Fox was, we're starting the season with a solid back four (Hendry/Seabo the only doubt) and I'm certain we'll get another striker in, maybe even before Saturday.

Top six this year. We can beat anyone in this league with that midfield.

Agree that if year after year there is progress, no matter how slight ie one league position improvement and one round further in the cup, then it's good news and should be applauded. The club on and off the pitch, in these financial times, are going the right way and everyone associated should be optimistic and hopeful. After all there have been plenty of times of real doom and gloom in the past. REDNYELLARMY.

In many ways the frustration of last year was, self-evidently, throwing away points in the last few mins (Hamilton x 3, Dundee x 2, Dundee Utd., for example) combines with seldom scoring meaningful goals late in games ourselves.

If the concession of late goals can be reduced then, again obviously, these frustrations of last season will diminish. However, personally I think we have a slightly weaker squad than last season and this combined with Ross, Dundee, Motherwell and Kilmarnock acquiring, on the face of it, some adequate players (perhaps less weakened/even strengthened compared to ourselves) is, in my opinion, a concern. As is stated above we will finish 5th-12th such is the predictability at the top of the league and the fluidity elsewhere.

Strangely we might learn much about the prospects for the coming season from our first two games - then again we might not. :frantic:

I think it's natural to speculate about the season ahead, however looking much further ahead we have a solid foundation at Firhill for the first time in a long time.

Financially sound, some good youngsters coming through and competing in the top flight for a third year in succession.

This season will hinge on us winning games particularly at home against teams in our category and punching above our weight occasionally against Celtic, Aberdeen Dundee Utd.

I think we will be fine this season although as has been already mentioned a 12/15 goal striker would be the icing on the cake.

I'm looking forward to it.

Our board is more experienced with a new member.

Our manager and assistant are club legends who try to play an attractive brand of football and are gaining experience.

The youth system is getting better with Scott MacKenzie, Scott Allison, Gerry Britton etc all making the right sounds.

We don't need to replace Balatoni as Lindsay and Leyden have broken through. Welsh looks to be back to full fitness. We have Booth, Amoo and Miller settled. Lawless is going to have a storming season and you know Archie will have bring a surprise late transfer like the past.

hold on. you're going to wait eight months? that's a lot of urine to store up.

Perhaps he has an ocean in mind. :thumbsup2:

Zen meets Yoda....

"Is not thinking itself a notion in the mind? Thought is absent in seeing things intuitively. When you think you understand, you don’t. When you perceive directly, there is no thinking. You know that you are alive, you do not ‘think’ that you are"-Adam Strachan circa 2005

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I'm looking forward to it.

Our board is more experienced with a new member.

Our manager and assistant are club legends who try to play an attractive brand of football and are gaining experience.

The youth system is getting better with Scott MacKenzie, Scott Allison, Gerry Britton etc all making the right sounds.

We don't need to replace Balatoni as Lindsay and Leyden have broken through. Welsh looks to be back to full fitness. We have Booth, Amoo and Miller settled. Lawless is going to have a storming season and you know Archie will have bring a surprise late transfer like the past.

I do agree with all of this except the attractive brand of football part. We unquestionably were the seasom we got promoted and the first half of our first season in this division but to me the aesthetic quality of our football has dropped a lot in the last 18 months.

We may well be a better football team due to this however...

• Like 2

I do agree with all of this except the attractive brand of football part. We unquestionably were the seasom we got promoted and the first half of our first season in this division but to me the aesthetic quality of our football has dropped a lot in the last 18 months.

We may well be a better football team due to this however...

We are certainly more effective, but crowd figures for the home gate implies that people liked the good football.

• Like 1