Celtic And Rangers In Live Tv Shock!

stillresigned

See the gruesome twosome are yet again live on Sky tomorrow in 2 difficult ties against Stranraer and Cowdenbeath respectively. I know there's many more blue and green muppets than anyone else: but it looks like Sky are taking the piss with these two games!

Doesn't do the reputation of Scottish football any good IMHO and simply fuels the arrogance and stupidity of OF fans!

I recall, I think, a scotch and rye sketch many years back whereby a character wearing a blue red and white scarf approaches a counter assistant (Rikki Fulton) and asks for a rangers season ticket to which the reply was "tv licences next counter"

Nothing changes.

• Like 1

I don't think it is a big issue,really. Exeter vs Liverpool was on last night and Wycombe vs Villa on right now. At least BBC Scotland are showing Hearts vs Aberdeen tonight

In the fa cup there is always the chance of an upset, especially with the minnow at home, this is very unlikely in Scotland. No problem with the Celtic tie being on as it's an away game, but Rangers at home is pointless as they should win comfortably

Nothing to do with bigotry. The majority of the viewers will be in England and will only be able to name 2 Scottish clubs. Sadly it is a commercial decision as they need the viewers to get the advertising revenue.

Agree a commercial decision on the part of Sky, differ in my view that it is pandering to the bigots here as regrettably they are in the majority and a viable commercial entity.

Nothing to do with bigotry. The majority of the viewers will be in England and will only be able to name 2 Scottish clubs. Sadly it is a commercial decision as they need the viewers to get the advertising revenue.

Whilst I take your point Dick, I would suggest that much of the reason for the "attraction" of Celtic and The Rangers is that they are well supported and indeed well known furth of these shores, I would contend that the reason for their being well known, and indeed well followed, is that they are able to polarise religious prejudices via a sporting medium - thus the continuum of sport-bigotry-crowd-publicity -attraction-sport-bigotry-crowd-publicity-attraction - repeat ad nauseum.

Perhaps some English viewers will be confused by the seeming irrelevance of some/many of the chants that will be broadcast tomorrow - their (in)significance will hopefully be lost on an audience which is primarily imagining it is watching a sporting event.

• Like 2

All of these statements relating to Sky have merit until you consider that BBC has routinely picked Rangers cup games round after round since they reformed 4 seasons ago. Quite simply the tv companies are happy to line the pockets of the OF irrespective of the more interesting matches available to them, thereby perpetuating the myth that they are the only Scottish teams worth watching (if you never have the opportunity to see a tight fought game between Airdrie and Dundee Utd why would you stop to think it could be more entertaining than Rangers v Cowdenbeath)

The topic has given me an idea for league reconstruction.

Legend (in their own eyes) Division comprising 2 teams a.k.a the Ugly sisters.

Premiership Division comprising 16 or 18 teams playing home and away.

Two further lower divisions (possibly with addition of teams from Highland or Lowland leagues)

Absolutely no promotion to or relegation from Legend Division.

Relegation and playoffs from Premiership and Lower leagues.

Ditto with lowest league to regional Highland and Lowland leagues.

Wishful thinking perhaps??

Not disagreeing but, commercial decision or not, selling the glory of a sevco.v Cowdenbeath fixture and the thrill of a Stranraer v Celtic tie appears to me at least as a hard sell.

On a similar, but different vein it's nice to see our alleged national broadcaster been so au-fait with the results of the wee diddy teams http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/35274799. Only Thistle could be beaten by Killie and beat St Mirren at the same time. Imagine the stooshie if the gruesome twosome were involved in such obviously inept reporting!

Edited by stillresigned