Post Split Fixtures

p12tfc

• Members

Seen an interesting stat yesterday, of the 6 teams that all had a chance of finishing in the top 6 at the weekend, 3 had 17 home games and 16 away games. The other 3 had the reverse. The 3 that had the extra home game all finished in the top 6.

• Like 2

Seen an interesting stat yesterday, of the 6 teams that all had a chance of finishing in the top 6 at the weekend, 3 had 17 home games and 16 away games. The other 3 had the reverse. The 3 that had the extra home game all finished in the top 6.

Every year there is much room for weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth due to imbalanced fixture lists.

To me, it’s beyond belief that we continue to tolerate this farce.

The concept of sport seems to be lost on club owners and their appointed governing bodies.

• Like 1

very interesting, I wonder how that pan's out over the years? Although St J have been Top 6 for the last 5 seasons

Every year there is much room for weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth due to imbalanced fixture lists.

To me, it’s beyond belief that we continue to tolerate this farce.

The concept of sport seems to be lost on club owners and their appointed governing bodies.

What's even more ludicrous is the whole rationale behind the split is to ensure the ugly sisters play each other four times a season. So for four seasons we've soldiered on with a 12 team league and this laughing stock set up for the sole reason of marking time till the New Club appears.

It would be most enjoyable if next season the arse cheeks were on either side of the split. How would the SPFL/Doncaster manage to manufacture the "guaranteed" fourth meeting?

Btw I'd like to think I'd still have been of the same opinion had we scraped into the top half of the split.

• Like 1

I genuinely enjoy the split. It gives teams extra impetus to win and qualify. Look at the extra interest and emotion in here with the Ross County game. Then we have some real 6 pointers as teams play their closest rivals. It's a form of play off which works for many sports and I think it works for Scotland.

There are many, many ways you could design exciting League set ups where there are play-offs and 6 pointers galore. Creating a split with sporting disadvantages is not the best way to achieve this.

Oh look, there's Dundee coming to Firhill for the third time in the League this season. Great. Also, what could have been a real Euro 6 pointer is now a total meh.

It would be most enjoyable if next season the arse cheeks were on either side of the split. How would the SPFL/Doncaster manage to manufacture the "guaranteed" fourth meeting?

It would indeed, as doubtful as it is. One things for sure - there'll never be a 3 and 1 home and away for our sectarian neighbours. The post-split gerrymanderer has been seeing to that since 2000. That in itself shows how rotten our set up is.

I genuinely enjoy the split. It gives teams extra impetus to win and qualify. Look at the extra interest and emotion in here with the Ross County game. Then we have some real 6 pointers as teams play their closest rivals. It's a form of play off which works for many sports and I think it works for Scotland.

Aye, it's such a winner every other league is clamouring to have their own imbalanced split.

In fact, how do you get the job of post-split gerrymanderer? I might apply. First thing I'd do is toss a coin; heads it's 3 home Old Firm derbies at Mordor, tails its 3 home Old Firm derbies at the smelly place. Imagine the stooshie? With 50,000 dissenting voices jamming up phone-ins and taking up column inches the split would be on its knees within the week...

• Like 1

The split works when the top 6 are separate & there's a relegation battle/fight for the title or European places. It is a joke, however, that we're 3pts off a potential European place but now have no chance of getting there.

In general though, I think the split works quite well, it just has not worked in our favour this year.

• Like 1

Qualify for what? Europe? They would still need to win remaining matches without any split. Interest and emotion in battling to avoid relegation or the play-off spot? They would still need to battle in the remaining matches without any split. The "closest rivals" idea can in fact mean teams largely snuffing each other out, resulting in a borefest.

The split is a piece of nonsense, originally designed purely to increase the frequency of the hatefest between the two ar*echeeks.

Edited by Jaggernaut

We couldn't get a point against a poor ross county side when it really mattered. Id be pleasantly surprised if we take more than one point from the remaining fixtures

That'll be the poor County team that's won a cup and might finish in a European slot?

A European place sounds dandy but not until regional draws are put in place. Our clubs really can,t afford to travel to places such as Kazakhstan and Azerbijan and its not fair on fans either. How these places are considered Europe beggars belief.

County did regularly spend a lot of time in the top six this season so I don,t really grudge them winning a place.

That'll be the poor County team that's won a cup and might finish in a European slot?

Good point as regards Ross - some people sneered when Fox joined them as he had stated he wanted to join a biggger club to further his Scotland ambitions - in truth his departure has worked out well for him (albeit he was injured for the League cup win). Of course I suspect we also benefitted from his departure as his replacement has proved to be an improvement (within a generally improved defence).

• Like 1

They had key players missing on Saturday. If you wee there you would have seen how shite they were. The same ross county that should have had no chance to finish in the top 6. There chances of top 6 were less than ours yet somehow all results that could have possibly went there way went for them. They are shite, the difference though, they beat celtic in a one off game. Something we are incapable of. So where does that leave us

This talk of 4th place may be getting a UEFA cup place. Are Hearts definitely banned ?

I can't see any official comment and it is being widely said down here that the point they got last night has qualified them for Europe. Does anyone know the facts rather than the P&B chatter ?

Robbie Neilson is also claiming that they have qualified for Europe, so it doesn't look as if there was ever a euro spot available.

Edit to add: Unless our final day game with Hamilton is televised, it looks as if us, Hamilton and Ross will all miss out on having cameras at a post sptit game. Of the bottom 6, Dundee Utd get 2, Inverness get 2 and Dundee get 1 game on the box. (any surprise that Celtic get 4 out of 5 ?)

Edited by Dick Dastardly

A European place sounds dandy but not until regional draws are put in place. Our clubs really can,t afford to travel to places such as Kazakhstan and Azerbijan and its not fair on fans either. How these places are considered Europe beggars belief.

County did regularly spend a lot of time in the top six this season so I don,t really grudge them winning a place.

Edited by Derby Jag