Management Team Sign New Deal

Rid Skwerr

Great news, that will see Archie having spent 19 years of his football career at Firhill.

I've mentioned it before, but with Archie, what we are witnessing is the stuff of Thistle folklore, the sort stuff your Granda would tell you about.

From Youth to First Team to Captain to Manager with trophies along the way.

:clapping::ptfc::fan:

• Like 3

Interesting point re the timing overlapping with DU's relegation. It ocurred to me there might be the idea of giving the management and the team a wee boost before upcoming games.

The board did say they would back Archie even if we went down - though I don't think the board believe this is likely, regardless of us fans' nerves.

They are both currently on a 1 year rolling contract, i.e. 1 year's notice to quit from either party. Does this announcement mean they are on a 3 year fixed contract, a 3 year rolling contract, or that the current arrangements are now in place for a further 3 years?

Great news, though it will upset a few departed contributors...lol. Anyway, let's hope the players show their appreciation this Saturday and let us all be able to relax from Saturday night onwards till the start of next season!

Definitely a much needed timely boost. As regards the Dundee United job, i think the united fans would have handed back there newly purchased tickets for next season if he had been poached. There is no doubt about it, Archie is a legend. We should be good enough to stay up this season which in itself is a remarkable achievement given our resources. I think its easy to get ahead of ourselves and I myself have been guilty of being critical of him but at the end of the day, we are in the top league and we have a base to build. The only thing holding us back now is our attendances which have been disappointing to say the least

Yeah, Dont think archie and shaggy will come cheap and can imagine with a 3 year deal there would be very significant bounues also include for reaching top 6 and any cup wins.

It is good though to see the club backing the management and Archie/shaggy must see the potential staying here for the next few years anyway. I wonder the way the article is written if the board are promising an increased budget for next year especically with the return of sevco to boost the numbers possibly twice next year.

Hopefully we can go get a win on Sat and we can really get our plans for next season underway.

And to think that they were, in effect, grabbed and flung into their present positions by the board at virtually no notice immediately following the departure of those who will remain nameless. Very few of us, myself included, could have seen this latest piece of business on the horizon, so far down the road, as we contemplated the then impending visit to Cappielow.

Certainly not cheap to me and you, but in football parlance....Cheap.

Not so sure on that one. McNamara followed much the same route as Archie at the club then we gave him an improved one year rolling contract just in case someone (Thomson) came sniffing. Pretty sure we asked Und for £80,000 compo for him, which to me anyway would be a years salary (again, just guessing) and remember this is when we were in the lower league. Pretty sure Archie will be on a very nice wage indeed.

Don't think anyone will be surprised by this and it does give us stability

Not surprised either but when you're trying to tie up players it's gotta be a plus. Would hope when two years are up they sign a year rolling contract at least. The management stability (include Maxie in this) should also help the Weir Academy. Youngsters coming thru the ranks will know what is needed to impress. Too often you hear about young players not knowing what's expected of them due to change in management bringing about different playing style/formation etc.

• Like 1