2016-17 Pre Season Thread!

Lindau

I don't think either Lindsay or Devine are as commanding as Frans and/or Seaborne. It's a matter of opinions. It's early days but I can't say I was impressed with the defensive side of our game last night. The Airdrie side looked pretty small to me and we are going to encounter bigger, more powerful teams over the course of the season. We had a very solid defensive unit last season, especially when Cerny was in goals, with what we have at the moment, I just can't see that being repeated this season

Last night might not be a fair one to judge them on, considering we had Osman and Cerny out, and I'd personally say they're two of the most important members of the defensive unit. I wasn't there last night so can't comment on how they played, but I'd hope that at full strength our defense won't be any weaker than last season.

Last night might not be a fair one to judge them on, considering we had Osman and Cerny out, and I'd personally say they're two of the most important members of the defensive unit. I wasn't there last night so can't comment on how they played, but I'd hope that at full strength our defense won't be any weaker than last season.

I am not judging them on last night as I did say it's early days, but it's clear to everyone that we need another central defender in. Since I posted the comment I have watched Archies post match interview and he has said the same. If Lindsay and Devine are our centre back pairing and they get injured or suspended, we are in big trouble. Liam Lindsay could easily have been sent off last night. Couldn't believe that he didn't even get booked for kicking out at that Airdrie player

Right ye are, hen.

Selective quotes as usual. Read the rest of the posts, where both say it's early days. Last night was my first game this season and my thoughts on the centre backs were based on that game only. Are you happy to run with Lindsay and Devine as our only out and out central defenders??

I had a chat with someone from the club today, Cerny is "just about there". We could play him at a push but we are likely to save him for the league.

Reasonably good news I suppose.

Reasonably good?......I would say that is awesome news!!

Agree Will but a drop down on the commanding in the air stakes.

Is that a direct comparison between Devine and Frans? Can't say over the last three games I've noticed any glaring deficiency in that regard. Got a feeling that criticism of Devine will be mostly a concern about a tendency to over play the ball. That's based on nothing more than anecdotal patter as so far he's looked comfortable enough albeit against limited opposition.

Is that a direct comparison between Devine and Frans? Can't say over the last three games I've noticed any glaring deficiency in that regard. Got a feeling that criticism of Devine will be mostly a concern about a tendency to over play the ball. That's based on nothing more than anecdotal patter as so far he's looked comfortable enough albeit against limited opposition.

Nope, it's a direct comparison between Devine and Frans and also Seaborne. We have lost two commanding in the air central defenders and brought in Danny who doesn't look as good in the air. I say it as I see it. Again, I will stress that my opinion is based on the one game I have seen this season, which was on Friday. The central defence is going to come up against bigger more powerful attacks come the beginning of August. As the manager has stated, we need one more addition to the team and as everyone else knows, we know what position it is. I think Danny will be better on the deck, pace wise, but we badly need another big central defender in the squad. Coming out The Excelsior on Friday night and it took ages to get out, there were three topics of conversation by the fans beside me....the shit weather, Ade Azeez and how dodgy the defence was. Had to agree with all three!

Edited by Lindau

Haven't seen Devine play yet, so I can't comment on what he brings to the team, but I do know that one of the concerns I had with Frans was his inability to head the ball any further than the edge of the penalty box! Seaborne wasn't much better, to be honest. Now, when Donnie MacKinnon or Jackie Campbell put their head on the ball...

Edited by Firhillista
  • Like 1

Haven't seen Devine play yet, so I can't comment on what he brings to the team, but I do know that one of the concerns I had with Frans was his inability to head the ball any further than the edge of the penalty box! Seaborne wasn't much better, to be honest. Now, when Donnie MacKinnon or Jackie Campbell put their head on the ball...

Can't agree with that. With Cerny in goals, we had one of the best defences in the league last season. Don't remember us losing a lot of goals in the air and that was down to Dan, Fred and Liam. Where they lacked last season was with pace and especially in Dans case, the constant backing off when forwards were running directly at him.

Edited by Lindau

There was a lot worse centre backs than Frans and Seaborne in the league last year. Surprised at the comment about Frans headers because he usually did get good distance on his headers. Although that was definitely a fault in Seaborne's game.

The goal against column does not lie and the centre back position is central to your defence so they are a big part of this. They will be a loss I am sure of that but we will need to see how we cope without them.

• Like 1

I'd put our good defensive record last season down firstly to Cerny and Osman. I do tho' think the no nonsense defending mainly from Seaborne was also crucial. Frans and Lindsay (on his wrong side) also often played well from the no nonsense point of view. What to me tho' was apparent, regardless of the centreback pairing, was an inability or unwillingness to play the ball out of defence, often resulting in the opposition hitting straight back at us.

I've said before, and tho' he was far too risky defensively, we missed Balatoni's build up play. Frans dwelt that couple of seconds too long on the ball and Seaborne's punts upfield were far from ideal. Hopefully, and the signs are definitely there, Devine will move the ball about quicker. Defensively (imo at least) I don't really think he has much to do to match Frans.

The bigger issue will be if Lindsay, back playing on his best side, can match Seaborne. Hopefully Liam's regular recklessness can be put down to his inexperience. Big Dan was also guilty of being reckless at times so maybe Lindsay's not got so much catching up to do. It was a feature of our defending last season just how much Seaborne rode his luck with refereeing decisions. Lindsay certainly didn't get away with nearly so much. That's not a criticism as such of Seaborne, more a recognition that he was cute in the dark arts. That's something Liam still has a long way to go to perfect. Not sure if "conning the ref" is an art form or just something that comes with age. Suspect it's a bit of both.

Meantime I feel we require defensive cover on the left side. Maybe not too urgent as Devine can move across and Ziggy move inside but still needed all the same.

• Like 1

I don't get where this concern with the left of defense is coming from. In order of preference

Booth

Gordon

Penrice

Elliott

Looks to be reasonable cover to me. I'd rather have a central defender please.(if he can step forward to cover Ozzy then bonus)

Sorry, DD. If that's a reference to my " defensive cover on the left side" then that's what I was meaning. A left sided central defender. :thumbsup2:

I'd put our good defensive record last season down firstly to Cerny and Osman. I do tho' think the no nonsense defending mainly from Seaborne was also crucial. Frans and Lindsay (on his wrong side) also often played well from the no nonsense point of view. What to me tho' was apparent, regardless of the centreback pairing, was an inability or unwillingness to play the ball out of defence, often resulting in the opposition hitting straight back at us.

I've said before, and tho' he was far too risky defensively, we missed Balatoni's build up play. Frans dwelt that couple of seconds too long on the ball and Seaborne's punts upfield were far from ideal. Hopefully, and the signs are definitely there, Devine will move the ball about quicker. Defensively (imo at least) I don't really think he has much to do to match Frans.

The bigger issue will be if Lindsay, back playing on his best side, can match Seaborne. Hopefully Liam's regular recklessness can be put down to his inexperience. Big Dan was also guilty of being reckless at times so maybe Lindsay's not got so much catching up to do. It was a feature of our defending last season just how much Seaborne rode his luck with refereeing decisions. Lindsay certainly didn't get away with nearly so much. That's not a criticism as such of Seaborne, more a recognition that he was cute in the dark arts. That's something Liam still has a long way to go to perfect. Not sure if "conning the ref" is an art form or just something that comes with age. Suspect it's a bit of both.

Meantime I feel we require defensive cover on the left side. Maybe not too urgent as Devine can move across and Ziggy move inside but still needed all the same.

Pretty much agree with all of this. There seems to be a lot of people getting their knickers in a twist over the loss of Seaborne and Frans. Seaborne was dominant in the air, no doubt, but the amount of cheap goals we lost due to him backing off the striker was frightening. Don't really need to say much about his distribution, everybody knows how bad it was. I used to comment regularly on how easily Frans got beaten in the air for such a big guy and, as mentioned before, dwelling on the ball was an issue.

Like Archie, I think we can do better. And cheaper.

I am of the opinion that we defended better as a team last season, restricting chances for the opposition. Allied to that, we have the best keeper playing for us for years. The downside was, as we set up to lose less goals, it meant we created less at the other end, as was shown in our goals for column.

• Members

I see Hearts were having a look at Jags trialist Liam Donnelly last week and have a German Central Defender in this week as well as bringing in Tony Watt on a season long loan.

Also note that Michael McGovern is back with Alex Neil at Norwich with Remi Matthews going the other way on a season long loan to replace him.

That is without doubt a major step back....he is rotten and that was proved how bad he was in a really poor Kilmarnock team last season. In one game he was Inverness Caleys best player. If that is the sum total of our ambitions then God help us hopefully it was a wind up....please tell me its a wind up.....absolute Bombscare