2016-17 Pre Season Thread!

Lindau

With no Gary Miller, who will take Mustapha Dumbuya's place for the first 6 months of the season? David Syme is a utility man who could play there, but he is still young. Elliot is also another option, but far from ideal. With finances taking a big hit due to the fixtures, I can't envisage us bringing in another right-back unless he is also able to play at CB, especially since we still need a Bannigan-like CM.

Sean Welsh for right back?

Dear Lord that's all we need with our defensive problems. I would go back and offer Gary Miller an improved deal in the knowledge that he can play in central defence as well. No harm in trying. Wouldn't be the first or last club to change their mind on a player!

This is why I think he's playing for us and not a Championship or lower Premiership side in England. He's got the quality but doesn't look like he's ever managed to remain fit for any length of time.

Looks that way since he's joined us but, tho' no way an exact science, his match stats don't show up many absences over the last few seasons.

I thought he was off to Plymouth?

Didn't know that! If the Muzzy news is true, the failure to offer him a decent contract could turn out to be bad news. No one should be guaranteed a first team place but it looks like we offered both him and Fred reduced terms which led to them both leaving!

Edited by Lindau

Didn't know that! If the Muzzy news is true, the failure to offer him a decent contract could turn out to be bad news. No one should be guaranteed a first team place but it looks like we offered both him and Fred reduced terms which led to them both leaving!

Which in some way is a blessing in so much as we'd perhaps now be over budget if we'd re-signed both on enhanced terms. If ever there's a case for bringing in a half season loanee right back it's probably now. Lot riding on this sevco/Celtic fixture thingy.

Within the space of four weeks the back-line has gone from the area of the park I was least worried about, to the area I am most worried about. In hindsight Gary Miller should have been kept on, but he always seemed to know that he would be playing second fiddle to Dumbuya. It would be a real middle-finger to now go to the guy and say "well since our first choice RB is sidelined, do you fancy another go?" A loan move now seems the ideal scenario, as I still feel we are at least two players short of being competitive next season.

Within the space of four weeks the back-line has gone from the area of the park I was least worried about, to the area I am most worried about. In hindsight Gary Miller should have been kept on, but he always seemed to know that he would be playing second fiddle to Dumbuya. It would be a real middle-finger to now go to the guy and say "well since our first choice RB is sidelined, do you fancy another go?" A loan move now seems the ideal scenario, as I still feel we are at least two players short of being competitive next season.

We have plenty of attackers/midfielders but the defence, as you say, Is a major area of concern, especially after how solid we were in most games last season

Losing Mustapha is a real blow. But I'm not sure GM is the answer here; a bit like Balatoni, not always a good idea to go back to a previous team member.

I trust Archie to unearth a decent quality defender to help steady the ship.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/partick_thistle/14572020.Paterson_laments_loss_of_Dumbuya_as_he_targets_reinforcements_for_Thistle/

Scott Paterson hopeful of adding to the squad by the end of the week. No hint of the loss in fixture revenues causing too much disruption to their plans in re-building the defence.

It would be good PR if it coincided with the strip launch

http://www.eveningti...ts_for_Thistle/

Scott Paterson hopeful of adding to the squad by the end of the week. No hint of the loss in fixture revenues causing too much disruption to their plans in re-building the defence.

It would be good PR if it coincided with the strip launch

Sounds like Pinhead called it right as he is saying they may now have to forego spending on other parts of the team to make sure they get another couple of defenders in. Of course we could bring in loan players for other positions. Elsewhere in the team we only really need a Bannigan replacement (and it's unlikely we could now afford to get a proper replacement, just someone who could play his position and give us cover) but we have Fraser and Welsh who can play his position OK, though not as well as the original. This could be a big season for Fraser who has been unlucky with injuries. We know he has talent but can he really impose himself on a game?

Anyway we can be sure that the management had more than one player in their sights and they will bring in the players we need pretty soon. However unless we have a good cup run it looks like who ever we sign for the start of the season will be it barring maybe a loan from somewhere.

Edited by Mr Bunny