Bbc 'pundits' Predict...

l'escardot

Chris Sutton has been tweeting his thoughts about all the teams today. Says Cerny will need to be good playing behind an inexperienced defence. I've pointed out to him that while the first choice back 4 are young they have nearly 250 Premier league games between them!

I'm just absolutely amazed that Chris Sutton can write.

• Like 1

I like him as well and think he's a decent anchor man.

The one thing tho' that really gets on my goat about Richard Gordon is the sheer regularity he "sells" the so called excitement angle of the various leagues. He's forever harping on about how close this or that division is. How only a few points separate top from bottom, from being involved in a promotion play off spot to being in the relegation zone. That's because we have such small inane claustrophobic leagues, Richard. League models that virtually no other country has or would ever want.

I realise that adding a bit of perceived excitement is natural to a broadcaster and could be even argued as part of his job. It's just the year on year overkill that riles me.

I don't think the league structure affects the range of points totals significantly. A bigger league would of course be more competitive though because, except for being more likely to have outliers with there being more data points, there will be more teams within the same range of points totals.

Laziest prediction comes from last week's Sunday Times. Just bring in Rangers at 2nd, then move all the teams below them down one place from last season. So Thistle will be tenth.

It's unlikely to be like this in practice. Since Thistle were promoted, one of the bottom two places has been occupied by a team that finished in the previous season's top six. Hibs started their season by being thrashed by Malmo in the Europa Cup, before ending it by losing to Hamilton in the playoffs. Alarm bells started ringing for Motherwell when they were beaten by an Icelandic team in the Europa Cup, with only an easy tie in the playoffs keeping them up in the end. Last season, Dundee United went straight down, after being title contenders in the early part of the previous season.

Trouble ahead for Hearts?

Ho hum ........................ latest gem from the license fee:

Ref 'has made a mistake'

Hearts 1-1 Celtic

Posted at 14:53

Former Celtic keeper Pat Bonner on Radio Scotland: "I didn't think that was a penalty at all. I thought Kieran Tierney pulled out of it just as Walker was going to strike it. I think the ref has made a mistake there."

:puke: :puke:

Ho hum ........................ latest gem from the license fee:

Ref 'has made a mistake'

Hearts 1-1 Celtic

Posted at 14:53

Former Celtic keeper Pat Bonner on Radio Scotland: "I didn't think that was a penalty at all. I thought Kieran Tierney pulled out of it just as Walker was going to strike it. I think the ref has made a mistake there."

:puke: :puke:

Not sure what your point is here.

If that had been given as a penalty against us there would have been meltdown on here, and quite rightly so too.

It was a shocking decision, and there is no getting away from it.

• Like 1

BR

Without a doubt it was a soft penalty but how many soft penalties are given against Celtic in a season compared to most other clubs? and how many other clubs have a cheer-leader on the radio questioning every contentious decision against their team?

Of course there would have been meltdown on this site had such a decision been given against us but it would have passed on the Licence Fee web-site without even a murmur.

BR

Without a doubt it was a soft penalty but how many soft penalties are given against Celtic in a season compared to most other clubs? and how many other clubs have a cheer-leader on the radio questioning every contentious decision against their team?

Of course there would have been meltdown on this site had such a decision been given against us but it would have passed on the Licence Fee web-site without even a murmur.

It wasn't a soft penalty it was a non-penalty, let's be honest and clear about it.

As far as the BBC are concerned, I refuse to get stressed about them. We are but a mosquito on their sunny Sunday afternoon.

Yeah! The other notable comparison this weekend is that Waghorn's injury was news bulletin stuff and our Liam's never got a mention anywhere and arguably his trouble could cost us a whole lot more than the problem with the Rangers forward.

We are tiny and inconsequential yet inhabiting the same league though you would hardly know.

Not a big deal, but on Sportsound there was comment / interviews from every match on Saturday after the games, apart from ours... Wee Chic obviously had to scuttle off to the BBC to appear on Off The Ball (again)...

Couldn't really care less, but I did used to like leaving Firhill, getting in my Dad's car after a (rare) victory & soaking up the glory. Nowadays they basically say 'oh, and Partick Thistle won too. That injury for Waghorn though, could derail Rangers title challenge Willie?' Load of drivel - thank God for the club's excellent commentary for us living in foreign lands.

Edited by Gary Peebles Tackle

I don't even watch Sportscene anymore, stopped last season after it was constant pish like 1-1 draws getting 10 minutes of footage when our game had more goals and been more entertaining. Enjoying the club highlights, far better than any pish Sportscene would televise.

The other notable comparison this weekend is that Waghorn's injury was news bulletin stuff and our Liam's never got a mention anywhere and arguably his trouble could cost us a whole lot more than the problem with the Rangers forward.

To be fair if it had been Lindsay that scored our club's first ever goal in the top division we might have had more coverage.

:)

I'm a huge NFL fan, and you should see the pundits on that sport. They know the 53 man rosters almost encyclopaedically for all 32 teams, can tell u the 3rd choice quarterback or back up punter for every team, really thorough in depth analysis. They watch all the games on game rewind during the week, can recall specific passages of play from 8 weeks ago and notice trends and tactical decisions, by comparison the punditry on offer for our game is amateurish, and that's probably me being generous