Queen's Park - Irn Bru Cup

Fawlty Towers

I thought the young lads were excellent tonight,especially 1st half. Some of the passing/movement was very

encouraging. We subbed Nisbet early 2nd half (maybe an agreement with Ayr?) and after that QP came more into game without really threatening so very unlucky to lose late scrappy goal.

Syme's challenge was a yellow imo but the reactions of QP players to it and the coming together of heads in following melee brought out the straight red. I thought the ref was very poor and inconsistent with his decision making although special mention goes to the baffling decision to have penalties taken at north stand whilst entire crowd are in first 2 sections of JHS.

Future is looking very bright with some of our youngsters, several tonight not too far away from knocking on 1st team door.

• Like 1

That would have been a great game had it gone straight to penalties after ninety minutes. The lads tired at the end of the second half and started making a lot of mistakes and some bad tackles through tiredness. Even a couple of Queens fans behind me though thee red card was a bit harsh and there was no intent.

Who decided to have the penalties at the north end?

Honest opinion. Some very good performances from Penrice, McCarthy (thought he was very good) Nisbet and I thought Stokes looked good when he came on...very pacy and direct. Disappointments...thought Syme was very poor, he looked knackered after 20 minutes, and disappointingly thought McInally and McLaughlin were both average tonight, but have shown potential before. Plenty of potential in there though and Queens never looked like scoring until the goal, which certainly looked offside from the JHS but none of the players complained. All in all the lads done well and in Nisbet, Penrice, McCarthy and Stokes we definitely have four guys that could be first team regulars in a couple of seasons!

Edited by Lindau

Honest opinion. Some very good performances from Penrice, McCarthy (thought he was very good) Nisbet and I thought Stokes looked good when he came on...very pacy and direct. Disappointments...thought Syme was very poor, he looked knackered after 20 minutes, and disappointingly thought McInally and McLaughlin were both average tonight, but have shown potential before. Plenty of potential in there though and Queens never looked like scoring until the goal, which certainly looked offside from the JHS but none of the players complained. All in all the lads done well and in Nisbet, Penrice, McCarthy and Stokes we definitely have four guys that could be first team regulars in a couple of seasons!

I'd have made McMullen MotM by quite a long way. That apart agree with above. What I don't think anyone will disagree with is our young lads did our Club proud tonight. A lot of the interplay was terrific but even when errors crept in they were still that well organised they recovered their composure very speedily.

Had to laugh at the QP supporter screaming at the ref that all the controversial decisions go to the professional team. That was after one of our 16 year olds was upended.

I'd have made McMullen MotM by quite a long way. That apart agree with above. What I don't think anyone will disagree with is our young lads did our Club proud tonight. A lot of the interplay was terrific but even when errors crept in they were still that well organised they recovered their composure very speedily.

Had to laugh at the QP supporter screaming at the ref that all the controversial decisions go to the professional team. That was after one of our 16 year olds was upended.

It's good to see the young lads being taught to play in the style of the top team, though maybe a wee bit too much tippy tappy at times. Thought McMullen did well, but he wasn't anywhere near MOTM for me. Thought young McCarthy was the one that took the eye for me, leaving the 1st team experience of Nesbit and Penrice out the mix. Stokes was very good when he came on. Very fast and direct and not afraid to take men on. Can't emphasise how disappointed I was in Syme tonight. Looked knackered after 20 minutes and was very poor technically. On that display, he is nowhere near 1st team level, which means at least one more central defender is an absolute necessity. As M'Lady says, things are beginning to move in the youth front, with players now beginning to come through that are going to be challenging for 1st team spots as early as next season! It all augurs well for the future

Edited by Lindau

That's a game we would have won easily if Nisbet had stayed on. He really is beginning to look an asset and his time at Ayr under McCall will stand him in good stead. Should be ahead of Pogba and Azeez on his return unless either of these 2 substantially up their game.

Some of the midfield interplay was a joy to watch but agree there was a lack of a decisive pass when on several occasions it looked on.

McMullin is a totally different player at CB. I thought he had a fine game and hope he grows a bit more and gets on the weights. Could be a prospect.

McKenzie has brought a lot of these kids on brilliantly . 5 or 6 could challenge for 1 st team next season.

That was my first under 20s game and I enjoyed it very much (result apart). Our boys wanted to play football in all areas of the pitch and they had good technique to go with that. Their attitide was excellent as well - if something did not come off they just worked hard on getting the ball back and trying again. In the end I think it was the extra physicality of Queen's Park that did for us. I could not see them scoring from open play and I think they realised that as well which is why they were playing for free kicks and corners plus using long throws when they could.

Hopefully those who attended will see that we are trying to do the right things in terms of youth development and support the half time draw as that is where your money is going to.

I really enjoyed the game last night and was really disappointed that the youngsters didn't go through as they should have.

Got to agree with a lot of the comments. Nisbet was fantastic and the game changed when he went off. He is a level above the rest in my opinion and I'm really excited to see how he develops.

Like Lindau, I was really surprised how poor Syme was. Never a sending off but his play before that suggested to me he is a bit Billy Big Time. The rest of the team were trying to move the ball well and hold possession but he seemed to be content to go long all the time.

McMullen, McCarthy, Penrice and Lamont in spells looked excellent. Disappointed in McLaughlin and Docherty but need to remind myself how young some of these boys are. Anyone know how old Callum Wilson is? Looks like it will be a couple of years before he fills a strip!!

Cullen is slight for a goalkeeper but can kick the ball further than Cerny or Scully.

I would urge anyone who doesn't attend development games to go and get a look at these boys some time. We have some real talent coming through.

It's good to see the young lads being taught to play in the style of the top team, though maybe a wee bit too much tippy tappy at times.[edit] As M'Lady says, things are beginning to move in the youth front, with players now beginning to come through that are going to be challenging for 1st team spots as early as next season! It all augurs well for the future

Just to say you have to learn the skilful stuff (which inlcudes skilful team play) when you are young. As you get older it's harder to pick up skill (though experience helps you learn about situations that come up in competitive games and how to deal with them which is why promising youngsters are sent out on loan. So I have no problem with the current emphasis with the young team. Agree things looking up with youngsters.

Didn't make the game but just watched the highlights where we seemed totally dominant until near the end of normal time, which suggests they did tire as folk are saying. One thing I'd suggest if anyone involved is reading: get a sound editor. OK an added expense so it would have to be a volunteer. I couldn't make out the commentary at all - just heard enough to realise there was one - and this is something some sound editing could fix while keeping the crowd noise, but in the background.

If U20 sides competing in this competition are to be anything more than a one off then extra time should be scrapped and the game should go straight to penalties. That's not sour grapes as I very much doubt we'd have been anymore likely to have won the shoot out without the extra 30 mins.

Last season I watched our lads compete admirably for maybe 80 mins only to be turned over late in the game with a common factor of being up against older players. Not much we can do about that and anyway I'm sure we'd rather play and watch promising kids rather than youngsters that are physically mature but lack any real potential.

But asking players who are clearly not yet physically mature to play 120 minutes is demanding too much and proving very little.

eta the one player we do have that's physically mature is Kevin Nisbet and I'd suggest last night the match turned somewhat when he was replaced.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Great to hear the strong reviews on last night's performance.

We shouldn't be surprised at the style of play or quality on offer. There are proper coaches and processes at the club now.

Equally so, we shouldn't be surprised at a bunch of kids conceding a late goal, having a man sent off and then losing a penalty shoot out. Don't underestimate how valuable those 'negatives' will prove to be in the long run.

Kevin Nisbet seems to be the star. Perhaps he's got that cutting edge as he's already been quite involved in the 1st team. In my opinion, if we have a decent start to the season, I'd much prefer us to throw in Penrice, McLaughlan, McMullin, McCarthy, Syme etc when we get a chance. It seems to me that this will be of much greater value for the club in the long run, as opposed to fielding out of form senior '1st team' players.

Edited by brodieboy

Agreed that this is the way to go. Just consider some of the talent from accies, Livvy, Bairns over the last 10 years.

We need a bit of that. The benefit would be that we no longer need to sign any more Pogbas, Kerrs, Bairds.

But Archie will be aware of the physicality required for the 1st team so introduce them intermittently.

I thought wee Stokes looked terrific, pacy, tricky and also helping out Penrice. But he looks very young and still quite frail.

But Archie will be aware of the physicality required for the 1st team so introduce them intermittently.

I thought wee Stokes looked terrific, pacy, tricky and also helping out Penrice. But he looks very young and still quite frail.

Get them in the gym. When I was in the states and trained with a local team the physique and athleticism of Americans was a total embarrassment for me. They all went to the gym and ate well as normal lifestyle. Their high schools have gyms. Footballers should be athletes. I bet the young heptathlete katerina-Johnson (I think her name is - heir to Jessica Ennis) could lift more weights than our youth and she is early twenties

^^

Just pumping kids up can be counter-productive. Body strength has to be in the right areas and musculature developed the right way. I'm sure our coaches are not unaware of the need for the young players to be built up but it shouldn't be forced.

Every kid will be different of course but I think the tendency is not to bulk them up till towards the end of their "apprenticeship". Haven't a scooby myself but something about a young footballer concentrating on weights etc before he's stopped growing doesn't seem right. Perhaps the U20s results and performances might be better but that's not the priority.

Athleticism and a muscular build certainly aren't prerequisites to being a good footballer, although it does help. Case in point being Piccolo who was one of the most athletic and muscular players I have ever seen at Firhill...but just wasn't very good.

He went under the radar but Richards-Everton was every bit the equal of Piccolo in that sense. If those two had the ability/judgement of the average centreback in our league (with BRE it was probably his one-footedness that let him down) they'd have been some pairing.

Btw McMullen in the video interview today makes reference to "doing the gym work and getting bigger". He'll be 20 next February so a fairly good example of the management biding their time re a player's physical development.