Dundee 26/10/16

Lindau

I wonder why "The legend blows" and "the cup" havent posted their joy at this victory.

To be fair, The Cup, still referred to as one of the better posters and sadly missed by a regular contributor on here, hasn't posted since it was clear that we were staying up last season.

The plaudits go to the manager tonight. For a guy that some on here continually say has no plan B, he has indeed shown he does have a plan B. The moving of Barton to centre half has changed the team completely. The defence looks like a totally different unit. Also getting shot of Gordon and bringing Christie in and playing the two strikers has been just what we needed. One game doesn't alter a season but for once we have actually managed to win a really vital game. We have some real tough games coming up and a horrific injury list to contend with, especially with the goalkeepers, but we do seem to have found a suitable formation to suit this team. Last night and tonight have shown that teams like Aberdeen and Hearts are nowhere near unbeatable and that this league is going to be very tight, if you take Celtic out the equation. Wonder if we will try to get Crawford back until January as young Connor Cullen is nowhere near ready to go anywhere near the first team yet.

Edited by Lindau

Just watched the highlights. Azeez's header was brilliantly placed for the opener; he himself seemed quite surprised that it finished in the net. But his miss after being put through by Doolan with just the keeper to beat was almost criminal; a simple dink to the left would probably have opened up the entire goal. Dools' predatory instincts at work for the second, after great forcing by Azeez (the defender will be less than proud of himself). Lindsay so unlucky from a first-half corner...

Edited by Jaggernaut
  • Like 1

Very important result and another difficult game in prospect this weekend. Good to see the strikers open their accounts for the season. Get Azeez practising running through one on one against stuckman in training between now and Saturday. On paper the fixtures look difficult but if Killie and Hamilton can do it so can we

Osman's cross for the first goal was a thing of beauty. Thank God Archie didn't make three tactical substitutions tonight but even then we may well have hung on. I was critical of the Azeez/Doolan partnership on Saturday but tonight they played much more like a unit. Thought we saw out the game very well tonight but of course we had an extra goal insurance. Still need to get more clinical in front of goal.

Hope Christie is still with us for another four seasons at least. Someone that really will deserve a testimonial. Like Dools does everything the manager asks of him and gives his all.

Out of likes for today (what a measly ration!), but 100% agreement.

Just watched the highlights. Azeez's header was brilliantly placed for the opener; he himself seemed quite surprised that it finished in the net. But his miss after being put through by Doolan with just the keeper to beat was almost criminal; a simple dink to the left would probably have opened up the entire goal. Dools' predatory instincts at work for the second, after great forcing by Azeez (the defender will be less than proud of himself). Lindsay so unlucky from a first-half corner...

Was a smashing header wasn't it! He always causes a defence so much trouble, he almost looks too good for this league at times, with the exception of his finishing. Doolan's ball through for him was sublime, I thought he could have just ran it round the keeper with his pace!

Fantastic to get a win, hugely important to do so against Dundee given the league positions.

St Johnstone are the best of the rest right now, I actually think they are very fortunate to be where they are in the league and aren't that much of a threat.

I wouldn't go nearly as far as to say Azeez's miss was criminal. I was right behind the goals and thought the chances of him scoring were odds on but I feel you have to give Bain a bit of credit.

Btw I didn't see any evidence of the team tiring last night. Tiredness was very evident against Accies and Hartley always has his teams very fit. Perhaps changing the formation has helped?

I've never posted on here before because I enjoy reading the comments from all the contributors and this is without doubt the best forum website I've come across. I have been a Preston North End supporter all my life with Partick Thistle my team in Scotland because of my great uncle when I were nowt but a lad. I followed the Jags in the 60s and 70s with Roughie and Doug Somner and especially when they beat Celtic in the League cup final. Why am I telling you all this? I've known Adam Barton since he was a small kid in Clitheroe in Lancashire and he was one of the most talented footballers I'd ever seen for his age. He was always in opposition to a certain Joe Garner now residing at a team I don't wish to mention and Adam usually came out on top.

I've followed his career from Preston to Coventry to Portsmouth and also to international status with both Northern Ireland and the Republic. Now best of all he is here with the Jags. He is still a player with untapped potential and that was apparent before he broke his leg in his early years at PNE. Moving into the back four is the best move for him because he can read a game and his distribution is usually excellent. His weaknesses are that he can take it too easily and casually at times and you can't afford to do this at this level and that his languid style makes him appear lazy on the field. When he played in midfield, he was good on the ball but poor when he wasn't. Now that he's at the back he can read the game and make challenges when needed and not only that he has quite a shot on him as seen in the last game against Ross.

I just hope the Jags go on from this victory and start to move on up that league because they are better that half the sides in that league. I rate quite a number of players in the team especially Edwards, Osman and Devine who looks a much better player with a calming influence beside him. I also think Azeez is an excellent player who always works his socks off but just needs that calmness in front of goal as shown by his superb header last night.

As regards the goalkeeping situation, Thorsten Stuckmann is a the most reliable of keepers. He was player of the year at PNE in 2012 and when he left Doncaster earlier this year, the supporters wouldn't let him go without thanking him for everything he'd done - he was a real favourite. I think I've finished my essay but the main thing I want to say is C'mon the Jags, you can do it!!!

• Like 21

Nice post, great to hear from a fan down south that also has a soft spot for the Jags :)

I thought Adam looked decent in midfield, it's clear he is very composed on the ball, in defence he looks just as good if not better. I think his influence in defence will be excellent for Liam and seems to be helping Devine as well. If this continues against teams further up the league then I can see us turning around this shaky start very quickly.

Welcome, pneplusjag. Like your info re Barton particularly. Adam's actually playing the middle of three centrebacks. I think our worry about him playing in a back four is he looks more a ball player than a ball winner but I agree he certainly looks like he reads a game very well. Early days but I reckon he'll be a very useful signing and his versatility will be a real bonus.

Hope the Lilywhites have a good season.

Evening Gingerjag. Delighted with the result tonight but as others have mentioned, I won't be getting to excited just yet. Beat St J's, take something off Aberdeen and string together half a dozen unbeaten then my preseason optimism may yet return. Nobody looks unbeatable in this league bar Celtic. Just that we are continually handing out free gifts to teams as bad as ourselves on a weekly basis.

Fairdoos

Think he definitely meant the pass, you could se him almost pointing and encouraging Dools to make the run. Great performance and looks like we got the reward that our play in most of the other games merited.

No Gordon in the team is significant for me too, not been overly impressed and it might just be that he's just not a fit for our club (early days yet tho I know)?

I've never posted on here before because I enjoy reading the comments from all the contributors and this is without doubt the best forum website I've come across. I have been a Preston North End supporter all my life with Partick Thistle my team in Scotland because of my great uncle when I were nowt but a lad. I followed the Jags in the 60s and 70s with Roughie and Doug Somner and especially when they beat Celtic in the League cup final. Why am I telling you all this? I've known Adam Barton since he was a small kid in Clitheroe in Lancashire and he was one of the most talented footballers I'd ever seen for his age. He was always in opposition to a certain Joe Garner now residing at a team I don't wish to mention and Adam usually came out on top.

I've followed his career from Preston to Coventry to Portsmouth and also to international status with both Northern Ireland and the Republic. Now best of all he is here with the Jags. He is still a player with untapped potential and that was apparent before he broke his leg in his early years at PNE. Moving into the back four is the best move for him because he can read a game and his distribution is usually excellent. His weaknesses are that he can take it too easily and casually at times and you can't afford to do this at this level and that his languid style makes him appear lazy on the field. When he played in midfield, he was good on the ball but poor when he wasn't. Now that he's at the back he can read the game and make challenges when needed and not only that he has quite a shot on him as seen in the last game against Ross.

I just hope the Jags go on from this victory and start to move on up that league because they are better that half the sides in that league. I rate quite a number of players in the team especially Edwards, Osman and Devine who looks a much better player with a calming influence beside him. I also think Azeez is an excellent player who always works his socks off but just needs that calmness in front of goal as shown by his superb header last night.

As regards the goalkeeping situation, Thorsten Stuckmann is a the most reliable of keepers. He was player of the year at PNE in 2012 and when he left Doncaster earlier this year, the supporters wouldn't let him go without thanking him for everything he'd done - he was a real favourite. I think I've finished my essay but the main thing I want to say is C'mon the Jags, you can do it!!!

Thanks for your insight, it's always good to hear from someone without an axe to grind, thanks for your support.

Was a smashing header wasn't it! He always causes a defence so much trouble, he almost looks too good for this league at times, with the exception of his finishing. Doolan's ball through for him was sublime, I thought he could have just ran it round the keeper with his pace!

Wishful thinking. If he can just keep his composure in front of goal he should make double figures. Hopefully that goal will give him that bit more confidence.

Azeez is a strange one. Undoubtedly talented, strong and a real threat with his pace. But is a complete anxious mess in front of goal. I think he will score 9 times out of 10 when presented with a clear chance that he doesn't have to think about. Last night is a good example with a quick cross and fast reactions to head it goal bound. But as soon as he has time to think about a chance, he seems to lose his composure. Real shame because it seems to be the only thing missing from his game. He could easily have 5 or 6 goals this season if he held his nerve.

Azeez is a strange one. Undoubtedly talented, strong and a real threat with his pace. But is a complete anxious mess in front of goal. I think he will score 9 times out of 10 when presented with a clear chance that he doesn't have to think about. Last night is a good example with a quick cross and fast reactions to head it goal bound. But as soon as he has time to think about a chance, he seems to lose his composure. Real shame because it seems to be the only thing missing from his game. He could easily have 5 or 6 goals this season if he held his nerve.

If Azeez was a prolific goal scorer on top of the other great attributes he has, he wouldn't be playing for us.

Good points. Ade won't have to score too much to be effective. Score just a few and with his pace and strength he'll drag defenders out of position. Should with luck give the likes of Doolan, Erskine, Lawless and Edwards more space.

I'm finally looking forward to actually watching the highlights of one our games on Jagzone! Great stuff from the team and players and great to see the plaudits Christie Elliot is getting. Absolutely deserved and one of my fave players. Like another poster said, hope Christie stays long enough to get a testimonial-plays his heart out in every game and works his arse off to make the most of his talent.

• Like 1