St Johnstone 29/10/16

Lindau

Yup, seems to be making a world of difference. Especially players who were struggling. They seem to be the ones who have benefited most.

So are you ready to apologise to all those who said a change of system was needed as 4231 was not working and you said they were wrong? Or are you not man enough for that?

So are you ready to apologise to all those who said a change of system was needed as 4231 was not working and you said they were wrong? Or are you not man enough for that?

Col, if everyone had to apologise for getting things wrong on this site, they would run out of space. If you want a good example, have a good look at the Ross County thread from last week. Had a right laugh looking at that earlier tonight!!

Ken where you're coming from Lindau. But he was particularly condescending to some posters and came across as he was always right and anyone who disagreed with him was wrong.

And I too enjoy going back through some old topics - there are some real gems in there. Including my comment "I love the 352 formation but I acknowledge we don't have the players for that formation". How wrong was I??!!

• Like 1

Yup, just a few weeks ago certain people were saying Elliot can't play at right back, Booth was Championship class, Devine was a total diddy as was Sean Welsh, Barton was a total waste of money, Edwards was a headless chicken and Azeez should have been freed after one game game (yip, you know who you are) Everyone gets it wrong, but some more than others. I have already held my hands up about Scully, he has definitely left me with a red face and I had my worries about Danny Devine. Glad to be proven wrong by those two.

Edited by Lindau

Have to say, going by this game, big Stuckers looks a very safe pair of hands. Could be interesting when all three keepers are fit, though I think Cerny is still the No1. Given Cerny and Scully's fragility this season I hope they extend Stuckers contract till the end of the season

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

Just watched the game on alba there and what struck me is the difference in Welsh's performance . He is moving the ball far quicker and playing forward rather than side to side all the time or backwards.

Bartons passing fromthe back seems to have an effect on the whole team.

What great skill from Amoo in the setup for the goal too.

• Like 1

Brilliant 'Cruyff' turn by Amoo in setting up the winner, great stuff! :clapping:

I did doubt Scully and he's been very good. I didn't doubt Christie at RB, but I wouldn't have thrown him in there straight after returning to the team, however I think he's better in that position as part of the current defence than as part of a back 4. You have to hand it to him that he signed as a striker, has had several injury setbacks, and yet is still very much a first team squad player who has played wherever he is asked to. Great team player to have

• Like 1

Ken where you're coming from Lindau. But he was particularly condescending to some posters and came across as he was always right and anyone who disagreed with him was wrong. And I too enjoy going back through some old topics - there are some real gems in there. Including my comment "I love the 352 formation but I acknowledge we don't have the players for that formation". How wrong was I??!!

I questioned the calls for a switch of formation, as in most cases the preference expressed by its advocates was a move to 4-4-2, which for me surrenders control of the centre of the park and exposes the back four. I was also sceptical of moving to 3-5-2 but, like yourself, for different reasons. The squad hasn't been built with this formation in mind. It is, however, working incredibly well. We look infinitely more solid when employing three at the back and the blend in centre-mid is superb. Our passing game has improved immensely. I do wonder, though, if the limited personnel for this formation may become a problem at some point. We have no out-and-out striker or experienced centre-half on the bench when using this formation. A couple (more) injuries and we may be struggling. Hopefully Nisbet can be recalled in Jan.

But hell, as long as it's working and we can keep Ade, Dools and our defensive trio fit, I'm a happy jags fan.

• Like 1

I questioned the calls for a switch of formation, as in most cases the preference expressed by its advocates was a move to 4-4-2, which for me surrenders control of the centre of the park and exposes the back four. I was also sceptical of moving to 3-5-2 but, like yourself, for different reasons. The squad hasn't been built with this formation in mind. It is, however, working incredibly well. We look infinitely more solid when employing three at the back and the blend in centre-mid is superb. Our passing game has improved immensely. I do wonder, though, if the limited personnel for this formation may become a problem at some point. We have no out-and-out striker or experienced centre-half on the bench when using this formation. A couple (more) injuries and we may be struggling. Hopefully Nisbet can be recalled in Jan.

But hell, as long as it's working and we can keep Ade, Dools and our defensive trio fit, I'm a happy jags fan.

I think we saw from today that Erskine and Amoo can form an effective front two and pose the defence some slightly different problems from Azeez and Doolan.

As there has been a fair amount of humble pie eating, let me scoff a large slice as regards Sean Welsh. I was happy to see him relegated to the bench a few weeks ago and expected him to remain there. He had a great game on Wednesday (second only to Christie Elliott in my reckoning), but today he was the absolute standout, so much more positive, covering large areas of the pitch, putting in tackles and initiating moves. Look back at our winning goal and you will see that everything starts from Sean's brilliant flicked header. Will now be delighted to see his name on the team sheet. Quite a recovery from his injury blighted seasons.

Ken where you're coming from Lindau. But he was particularly condescending to some posters and came across as he was always right and anyone who disagreed with him was wrong.

And I too enjoy going back through some old topics - there are some real gems in there. Including my comment "I love the 352 formation but I acknowledge we don't have the players for that formation". How wrong was I??!!

Your generally wrong.