Doolan 100

BowenBoys

Amazing that nobody has scored 100 goals for Thistle for 50 years - more than a third of the entire years of existence of the club.

A lot of good strikers since the early sixties would probably have got to a hundred if they hadn't been transferred. McBride, Bone and Mo Johnston immediately spring to mind and Somner definitely. Nowadays players move on even quicker, which makes the Doolan 100 all the more remarkable and special.

• Like 3

there were no league games during the war, or Willie Sharp would probably have scored a lot more league goals

There was a wartime league in which Willie Newall scored most of his Thistle goals. Maybe Mr Sharp was stationed away from Glasgow?

Kris Doolan is our longest continuously signed player. But who was it before him? Been wracking my brain for a while on this. Archie, from coming back from DUFC to the time of not registering himself as a player any longer?

Hmmm.

Was there not a suggestion a year or two back that Ryan Scully was actually our longest serving player?

Was there not a suggestion a year or two back that Ryan Scully was actually our longest serving player?

Actually, I think you're probably right, RS. I had overlooked him. They both came to the fore under McCall, and although Ryan spent most of his early senior days out on loan (KD too went out, to Clyde, for a bit), I think both their Thistle careers started within a short time of each other's.

Kris Doolan is our longest continuously signed player. But who was it before him? Been wracking my brain for a while on this. Archie, from coming back from DUFC to the time of not registering himself as a player any longer?

To focus on the spirit of your query and not the variable finer points, Kenny Arthur's your man, from 1997 to 2007. He never got to say goodbye but at least he got to say hello again, which is just dandy. :)

Now, re this League scorers business...

With the SFL denouncing triumphalism in the WWII era, and declaring that the winners of the hastily arranged Regional Leagues (Western and Eastern Divisions) should not be regarded as the champion clubs for the season (albeit a sprigtime '40 about-turn sanctioned an end-of-season play-off decider), the Stats world have long since followed the path of not including the SFL's two regional Leagues of 1939-40 as "official", a thought process which was also carried forward to the 6 independently run "Southern League" seasons which followed. This is true, in fact, of Stattos for both the English and Scottish Leagues, with both the EFL and SFL having decided upon similar low-key regional strategies for the fitba'.

Similarly dismissed are the Leagues which existed outwith the SFL in the early 1890s, namely the Scottish Alliance and the Scottish Federation, both of which are generally deemed to be "non-League" second-class affairs.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about this, so much so that I'd say I was torn 50-50 as to whether or not I should ignore the protocol and include the nine other seasons as outlined.

Ultimately, however, I decided to stick with the accepted national-level SFL / SPL / SPFL Leagues as my preferred basis for analyzing Thistle's streaks, tallies and milestones.

To ease my conscience, and to ensure a degree of justice for our players of the early 1890s and the seven wartime seasons, I have introduced a sub-category which I've labelled "League Max", and can be wheeled out whenever it's deemed appropriate to do so.

"League Max" therefore includes all of the standard national-level SFL / SPL / SPFL seasons as well as our two Scottish Alliance seasons (1891-1892 and 1892-93), the SFL's Regional League Western Division (1939-40) and the six Southern League seasons (from 1940-41 through to 1945-46).

Here's how Doolan stands in the League Max category:

2w1tp28.jpg

In order, the players in the Top 15 above who benefit most by switching from a "League" to a "League Max" query are: Willie Newall (83 goals), Willie Sharp (81 goals), Willie Paul (11 goals), John Wallace (7 goals) & Peter McKennan (6 goals).

I've got no problem if anybody prefers to quote the above table as opposed to the commonly used variant. #JusticeForThe3Willies

With apologies for derailing the thread with ungainly Stats minutiae :bag:

• Like 2

When we wake up, well we know he's gonna be

He's gonna be the man who scores them, just for you

When we go out, well we know he's gonna be

He's gonna be the man who scores the goals, it's true

And he will score us 50 goals

And he will score us 50 more

Just to be the man that scored one hundred goals

The Jag that we adore

Doo-doo-doo-lan (Doo-doo-doo-lan)

Doo doo-doo-doo-lan (Doo doo-doo-doo-lan)

Doo-lan doo-doo-doo doo-doo-doo doo-doo-doo Doo-lan

• Like 3

When we wake up, well we know he's gonna be

He's gonna be the man who scores them, just for you

When we go out, well we know he's gonna be

He's gonna be the man who scores the goals, it's true

And he will score us 50 goals

And he will score us 50 more

Just to be the man that scored one hundred goals

The Jag that we adore

Doo-doo-doo-lan (Doo-doo-doo-lan)

Doo doo-doo-doo-lan (Doo doo-doo-doo-lan)

Doo-lan doo-doo-doo doo-doo-doo doo-doo-doo Doo-lan

Cringing for u m8

• Like 4

Doolan is everything a professional footballer should be, he's been loyal to the club, basically committing his career to one club, unheard of in this day and age. When he's dropped he knuckles down and gets his place back in the team, no moaning or throwing his toys out the pram. Off the field he's anonymous, no dodgy tweets or pictures, does his talking on the park as it should be. And on a personal note it's due to him my daughter wanted to come back to Firhill for a "real game" after she went to the training/ signing session start of last season, as during the signings in the JHS concourse when it started to get very crowded round the table he was sitting at, seeing my daughter (Norwegian and not used to crowds) was panicking a bit with the pushing, stepped forward and brought my daughter behind the desk to sit with him, talked to her till she stopped being scared with the crowd. That made her day, and made her a Jags fan, and she still has the picture of the two of them on her wall, and his autograph next to it.

Doolan is Mr Thistle and hopefully he sees the rest of his career and beyond at Firhill

• Like 27

Doolan is everything a professional footballer should be, he's been loyal to the club, basically committing his career to one club, unheard of in this day and age. When he's dropped he knuckles down and gets his place back in the team, no moaning or throwing his toys out the pram. Off the field he's anonymous, no dodgy tweets or pictures, does his talking on the park as it should be. And on a personal note it's due to him my daughter wanted to come back to Firhill for a "real game" after she went to the training/ signing session start of last season, as during the signings in the JHS concourse when it started to get very crowded round the table he was sitting at, seeing my daughter (Norwegian and not used to crowds) was panicking a bit with the pushing, stepped forward and brought my daughter behind the desk to sit with him, talked to her till she stopped being scared with the crowd. That made her day, and made her a Jags fan, and she still has the picture of the two of them on her wall, and his autograph next to it.

Doolan is Mr Thistle and hopefully he sees the rest of his career and beyond at Firhill

That's a great story and echo the sentiments. Kris Doolan is in ever sense of the word a Thistle legend. One of the greatest strikers to grace the red and yellow and a complete and utter gentleman.

Two in two games and I now feel that the landmark of 100 goals is imminent.

One of us, along with Robert, will be presenting Dools with his trophy.

If you're not yet in the Doolan 100, join us. If you're already in PAWS then simply pledge £25. If not, pledge £1 per goal (currently 34 goals) first.

Presentation dates

I have looked at the fixture list and come up with a list of possible dates. In all cases there is a minimum of two weeks notice to help those with travel to organise.

At the bottom of the list we are into post-split games. It surely won't come to that...

...if we're still waiting at the split, we may have to do the presentation at Hampden on Cup Final day.

All possible dates are Saturday games. If any of the three games are moved for TV then I may need to look again.

25smutg.jpg

If the presentation happens on 11 March, it will coincide with Archie Koncher's 16th birthday trip to Firhill. If so, I will invite him to the presentation.

• Like 2