Vs St Johnstone That's Entertainment?

MMCF

St Johnstone are a well run club, on and off the field. And they have decent fans. We can't begrudge them success in staying in the SPL since promotion.

It's up to us to work out a way to play attractive football and beat them; hoofing long balls towards their defence is not the way to do this.

• Like 1

If we could do what St.Johnstone did to us last night and in other games,we would probably have at least another 5pts. I have also seen fans on this forum bemoaning that we are not streewise,is this not what the are?They also manage to pick up points against the other teams we dont expect anything from.

• Like 1

I think a lot of the frustration boils down to us being annoyed that we're not good enough to render St Johnstone's tactics immaterial.

Exactamundo. The fact that St Johnstone will once again finish comfortably in the top six playing their efficient style of football while we, yet again, flatter to deceive and flounder in the bottom half is very frustrating. If a team continually plays well for at least part of a game and rarely takes their chances and end up losing or drawing, the only place they are heading is the relegation places. In Scottish football, entertainment is a long way down the list of priorities and has been for years.

Just for clarity, my views on St. Johnstone's performance last night are not'sour grapes'. I've been a Thistle fan long enough not to get too upset over a defeat. For the benefit of those posters on here who didn't attend last night's game, only one team wanted to play football and you might be glad to hear, given this is a forum for Thistle fans, it was the team in red and yellow.

I think a lot of the frustration boils down to us being annoyed that we're not good enough to render St Johnstone's tactics immaterial.

That's fair comment. I just don't think killing off a game for the best part of 45 mins is "streetwise" football, even against a team like us who prefer teams to come at us. It worked last night but any team given that much time can (and most often do) scramble a goal against such tactics.

To be honest I am more worried about the lack of form from guys like Edwards, Doolan, Erskine, Lawless and Osman. As I said elsewhere, we looked and played like a team that was suffering from a flu virus. Archie also needs to get the wide guys out in training and practice not hitting the first opponent every single time. The only real cross I can remember that was fired in was Elliot's in the first half. The crossing, especially in the 2nd half, was absolutely diabolical. The strikers aren't hitting the net but to be fair a lot of the time they are not getting the service that they should.

Edited by Lindau

There is a very clear difference between saying that watching four players fight over a square foot of grass for 10 minutes is not entertainment you're especially keen to pay the price of three cinema tickets for, and saying that you would happily trade-off competitive success for more open football.

The problem is the incentive structures themselves, not those that exploit them.

Running the ball into the corner flag in order deliberately to waste time should probably be regarded as unsportsmanlike behaviour, just as goalkeepers timewasting like Cerny does really should be. It's not, so teams, perfectly legitimately, do it. But professional football exists to entertain fans. If the incentives of professional footballers or professional football clubs are not aligned with that, and encourage styles and attitudes towards football that make clubs content to score an opportunistic goal then adopt a strategy that renders 99% of the pitch redundant, that's clearly something that should be resisted.

I absolutely enjoy Thistle winning when they grind-out a victory more than when we draw or lose. But I am probably less entertained across all the matches we play than if the games involved more goalmouth chances, more expansive play, and the exhibition of skills and creativity that I couldn't see at a Highland league game for a quarter of the price, even if we win slightly fewer games and lose slightly more. If the Premier League is to be a clash of teams being a little bit faster and a little bit less error-strewn but otherwise essentially the same as Huntly v Keith then is it any wonder crowds and atmosphere are as low and dead as they are?

Edited by Woodstock Jag

To be honest I am more worried about the lack of form from guys like Edwards, Doolan, Erskine, Lawless and Osman.

I know there's an Erskine love-in on this site but it's easy to see why DUFC dumped him. Usual pattern of one decent game followed by at least 3 howlers. After 5 minutes last night I knew he'd be hooked again early doors.

• Like 1

As AlgarveJag alludes to - those of us old enough to remember the Auld tactics would be hypocrites to decry a defensive away performance by any team.

Perhaps nowadays there is a bigger expectation to "entertain" than there was back then, but, if it wins games (and if we won in similar fashion in the cup up there next week) then so-be-it.

The result is particularly bad for us as inevitably, given the tightness of the league, it means that we lose ground and position - when Killie and Dundee play their game in hand one of them will go above us.

Vaila street recons he new after 5 minutes that erskine was going to to be hooked early, well the guy behind me said within 90 seconds he was going to have a howler. sorry but he,s no were near the player he was before moving to d.u.f.c............

Which wouldn't have anything to do with playing against better quality players in a higher standard of league, rather than anything to do with moving?

• Like 1

Don't agree Jimmy.

Erskine was young and playing in the lower Division with us last time; in some senses he had nothing to lose.

Now, he's part of an SPL team trying not to get relegated; so perhaps the whole team set-up is more cautious.

The most creative footballers are flawed. For every 5 chances Chris creates, perhaps only 2 will come off. But I'm bloody glad he's in the team - when one of those chances pays off, he's worth it!

Really don't know why I stick around. Someone knows after 5 minutes a Jags player is going to have a bad game. That someone is evidently not that quick on the uptake as some other punter can tell after 90 seconds. Whoever these guys are they're obviously a serious loss to football management.

I used to compare forum speak with the patter you'd get immediately post match in the pub. In all my too many years following the Jags, no doubt spouting as much nonsense as I've listened to, that really takes the biscuit.

• Like 4

In the last three league games we've had two 0-0 draws and last nights disappointment. Thistle haven't entertained me to any degree in those matches. I'll still be in Aberdeen on Saturday, but that's 75% for the day out if I'm being honest.

Really don't know why I stick around. Someone knows after 5 minutes a Jags player is going to have a bad game. That someone is evidently not that quick on the uptake as some other punter can tell after 90 seconds. Whoever these guys are they're obviously a serious loss to football management.

As Erskine subsequently followed up that opening 5 minutes with a masterclass of giving the ball away and chasing shadows I'll say my judgement was sound. Loving the self important 'I really don't know why I stick around' arrogant tosh as well.

As Erskine subsequently followed up that opening 5 minutes with a masterclass of giving the ball away and chasing shadows I'll say my judgement was sound. Loving the self important 'I really don't know why I stick around' arrogant tosh as well.

Care to explain how you can tell after 5 minutes if someone is going to have a bad game. What tell tale signs should us others be on the look out for?

As for the "self important" crack I don't take myself that seriously let alone my my comments. But if you find someone questioning your 5 minute appraisal technique as being arrogant, many apologies. :thumbsup2:

Can't believe some of the comments on here defending St. Johnstone for last night's performance. Let's get this in perspective - to get 3 points mid-season a team, which is in no danger of relegation nor of winning the league, spent the entirity of the second half killing the game, taking as long as possible over every dead ball situation, feigning injury, fouling their opponents when they thought they could get away with it (which was often) and then running the ball into the corner for the last ten minutes of the game. I, personally, don't give a toss what they have 'achieved', they are a disgrace to the game and they should be called out for it.

whike they certainly have no chance of winning the league, if they failed to win games regardless whether it's great football or winning ugly they actually would be very much in danger of relegation. Furthermore as has been already mentioned if they finish 4th they have a chance of Europe and the higher up the league they finish then they get far more money - therefore they clearly have plenty to still play for.

As has already been mentioned before we should be more concerned with the fact that in our last 3 league games we have failed to score and played far from good, despite money being spent on taking the players to la manga to supposedly get them flying out the traps as soon as the winter break ended

Did you watch last night's game? Would you be happy to watch that second half performance again? If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then 'bizarre' accurately describes your attitude. St. Johnstone's'success' is raging mediocrity based on football that's barely worth the name. Personally, I'd stop watching Thistle if that's what they served up every week, top six and the occasional one game in Europe included.

were you happy with Thistles second half performance and the other 2 recent nil nil draws in the league? Do you not think if we had been good enough we would have taken something from last night regardless of st johnstones tactics? They cant time waste when a jags player has the ball and then needlessly gives the ball to one of their players. Time wasting should not prevent some of our players willing to have a shot at goal or attempting to get past the defenders

was he the only jags player who gave the ball away and chased shadows? Everyone else put in a fantastic shift?