Thistle V Sevco

Sore one.

Really sore as they are absolutely rotten and we should have been out of sight.

Osman wasn't fit to last the 90, he should have been off earlier.

Edwards has many qualities but he really needs to work on his passing/retaining possession.

Between him and Osman we kept giving the ball away resulting in inviting pressure on to ourselves.

I'm not sure why Archie left it so long to make changes, was fairly obvious a few were knackered.

Sore one.

Edwards has many qualities but he really needs to work on his passing/retaining possession.

Between him and Osman we kept giving the ball away resulting in inviting pressure on to ourselves.

I'm not sure why Archie left it so long to make changes, was fairly obvious a few were knackered.

Agree with most of the above, especially as regards making earlier changes as players were clearly tiring.

It would not be fair to move on from this game without highlighting exceptional performances by both Stevie Lawless and Christie Elliot.

Sore one.

Agree with that. Surprised that he didn't bring Amoo on to try and force them back, but looks like there is no way back for him as he is rarely even getting on the pitch nowadays.

Edited by Lindau

Don't agree that we bottled it. We more than matched them for 80 mins - just tired visibly. It was a really hot day, and sevco started pressing more in the last 10 mins than they had done previously.

Also, if the ref had been more competent,we might have got a fair crack of the whip- but he wasn't exactly fair/consistent in his decisions. Before their equaliser, we should have got a foul in their half,but he played on and they scored.

Cue the sash singing(thought that was outlawed nowadays?- obviously still double standards are rife)

I really really hate losing to that mob, but onwards and upwards guys.We are still progressing in the right direction.

• Like 1

Goals in last 5 or so minutes have killed us this season. Good on the players who run themselves into the ground, but the management have to realise sooner that they're knackered and make substitutions appropriately. Subs come on too late. I would say that it's the one Achilles heel left in Archie's management style.

Tough one to take after dominating them for the vast majority of the game.

The sub McKay(?) Changed it... Dodoo moved inside and the two of them doubled up on Christie. They then just pumped long diagonal balls at the pair of them until it paid off.

Could have been long out of sight of we took our chances. There was a point in the game we were just camped in their box.

Will be interesting to see if Dools is offside at his Pen claim.

Elliott best player on the park. Barton cruised through it and Lawless was exceptional.

Disappointed for sure, but with a top-6 finish, a new training facility coming, and a player getting PFA recognition, it's tough to feel too bad about it.

Plus we've generally been competitive against both Celtic and Rangers, which isn't something that always happens.

Maybe some personnel changes in the summer will bring in some new faces who can finish clinically and instill the kind of, ummm, testicular fortitude needed to keep these late leads.

You could say that's wishful thinking, but then so was everything in the first paragraph.

I would reckon about half the team are playing through injuries. A rest then a good pre-season needed.

That's a very valid point. We have been decimated with injuries this season with Bannigan and Fraser all season, Dumbaya for half a season, Cerny for most of the first half of the season (still think if he had been fit we would be in Top 4 now) Scully for three quarters of the season, Erskine and Osman have been carrying injuries all season, Welsh has been out for the last quarter. All vital first team players. It's a credit to the players that we are where we are and it's no surprise that a few are looking jaded. To call these players "utter bottle merchants" beggars belief!

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 3

9 times this season, Partick Thistle have lost a goal at 80+ mins to draw or lose. I'm sorry folks, but I am going to call balls and strikes as I see them. That is bottle merchant stuff. 25% of matches! It has been a great season, I am not going to deny that. But we remain the only team not to take points off of Rangers, and we would have left Hearts in the dust if we hadn't needlessly thrown away so many points.

An interesting stat I picked up on the Twitter thingummy.

Thistle have conceded to either draw or lose the game in the 80th+ minute 9 times this season.

That's over a quarter of our league games.

Only 9? Seems like more. For all it's been a good season there's been a lot of soul destroying results.

Will be interesting to see if Dools is offside at his Pen claim.

I was sitting right on line. pt. definitely offside.

Don't really want to counter a negative with a negative (ffs after this season it shouldn't be remotely necessary) but once again any failing we had today was not scoring when we were on top. Others will feel we should be able to see off the third team in the league at 1-0 and call the likes of Lindsay, Keown etc bottle merchants. I prefer to believe that if we want to beat teams above us in the league at home we really need to score more than one goal.

Felt absolutely miserable coming away from Firhill, like others sharing that deja vu feeling, which was hard to take. That said sorrow drowning in the pub was a lot easier as I was in company of a few Accies and 'Well fans. For once any patronising sympathy was at a premium.

• Like 1

Hard one to take after being very much in charge, especially as it was an exact repeat of earlier in the season.

It's been a brilliant season but we need to cut out the late goals we have lost next season - we would have been 3rd if we had seen games out in last ten minutes. I think we have only scored a late goal at Rugby Park for a draw and McDiarmid for a win

However....as I said a few weeks back, I do believe our injuries have killed us this year and Archie will be gutted as it is out with his control. Aside from missing players, I think the unseen consequence has been a number of guys short on fitness either through missing pre-season, having one or more lengthy injuries during the season or carrying a knock. For me, guys like Booth, Erskine and Ozzie have looked off the pace and tired late in numerous games. Today was a good example where the Sevco guy just seemed to run past Callum for their second. Hopefully a full pre season and some more luck with injuries next year and we will see these games out

Even if you just include the games against Hearts we'd be ahead of them if we'd held on to the draw in the first game at Firhill (Hearts goal in 90th minute) and the win in last week's game (88th).

Trying to take the positive it means there's still plenty of room for improvement when most people will think we've gone as high as we can. It is odd that after our first season up where it happened lots we got rid of the losing vital late goals affliction by and large for 2 seasons then it's returned with a vengeance this season.

9 times this season, Partick Thistle have lost a goal at 80+ mins to draw or lose. I'm sorry folks, but I am going to call balls and strikes as I see them. That is bottle merchant stuff. 25% of matches! It has been a great season, I am not going to deny that. But we remain the only team not to take points off of Rangers, and we would have left Hearts in the dust if we hadn't needlessly thrown away so many points.

Don't be ridiculous every team in the league can lay claim to being in a better position if only if.... as an example Hearts would claim they would be second if only they didn't have to change their manager and brought in a clown instead of Neilson!!

So what if we haven't taken any points from Sevco I'd settle for that again next season if we finish sixth again. Inverness took points from them and Celtic will that be any consolation if they get relegated? No chance, you stated yourself we have had a great season let's enjoy that without the over the top petulant crap that some (many of them expected as that's what they do no matter what) are posting. If we did win it would just be that another win, it doesn't matter who we pick points up from as long as we do.

My only regret and criticism for today is reluctantly Archie, for some reason he felt the game was done about 60 mins and tried to see it out from there, he obviously hasn't learnt that we are a better defensive unit when we attack and not when we sit back and try to defend.

• Like 5

Thoroughly enjoyed most of the game. I thought we were tremendous. We ran the midfield for long periods and forced them to play hoofball.

The substitutions on both sides changed the game. We were light on the bench due to injury and suspension. I don't blame Archie for delaying his subs, I think he knew it would affect our game.

Gutted at the end, of course, but an afternoon watching the Jags play nice football in the sunshine was very pleasant for 80 mins.. Despite the loss, it was great to leave the ground without, as l-i-b has intimated, worrying about how it would affect our league status. Progress indeed.

• Like 3

Don't be ridiculous every team in the league can lay claim to being in a better position if only if.... as an example Hearts would claim they would be second if only they didn't have to change their manager and brought in a clown instead of Neilson!!

So what if we haven't taken any points from Sevco I'd settle for that again next season if we finish sixth again. Inverness took points from them and Celtic will that be any consolation if they get relegated? No chance, you stated yourself we have had a great season let's enjoy that without the over the top petulant crap that some (many of them expected as that's what they do no matter what) are posting. If we did win it would just be that another win, it doesn't matter who we pick points up from as long as we do.

My only regret and criticism for today is reluctantly Archie, for some reason he felt the game was done about 60 mins and tried to see it out from there, he obviously hasn't learnt that we are a better defensive unit when we attack and not when we sit back and try to defend.

Well said Metz, though my only problem with Archie today was that his subs were made too late in the game. Players have been carrying injuries and it caught up with a few later on in the game. I would have brought Azeez and Amoo on just to run at their defence and take the pressure off our defence. We played some terrific stuff in the first 45 minutes and as has been said, it's not taking chances when on top that is hurting us rather than defensive frailties.

Edited by Lindau

For me, guys like Booth, Erskine and Ozzie have looked off the pace and tired late in numerous games. Today was a good example where the Sevco guy just seemed to run past Callum for their second.

Very valid points there, Stephen. Looked to me Wee Lawless had run his course well before the end today as well. Be interested to know the rationale as to why bringing on Azeez was delayed and we only made our second substitution as it was enforced. The game was stretched for so long that there was bound to be tired legs on either side and I rather feel sevco's changes were far more effective.

• Like 2

I wasn't able to be at the game but managed to watch the TVs coverage afterwards. I think that it was Rangers long ball tactic that caused us problems throughout the game. It looked like they particularly targeted Keown, who didn't deal with it as he normally does. Mackay was a bit fortunate with his first touch at the goal, but finished well.

I wasn't able to be at the game but managed to watch the TVs coverage afterwards. I think that it was Rangers long ball tactic that caused us problems throughout the game. It looked like they particularly targeted Keown, who didn't deal with it as he normally does. Mackay was a bit fortunate with his first touch at the goal, but finished well.

Thought that was Niall Keowns poorest game since he came here. He usually wins most headers that come his way, but that wasn't the case today, which was surprising, given that they are not an overly big side.

Tough one to take after dominating them for the vast majority of the game. The sub McKay(?) Changed it... Dodoo moved inside and the two of them doubled up on Christie. They then just pumped long diagonal balls at the pair of them until it paid off. Could have been long out of sight of we took our chances. There was a point in the game we were just camped in their box. Will be interesting to see if Dools is offside at his Pen claim. Elliott best player on the park. Barton cruised through it and Lawless was exceptional.

I was in line with it and he was clearly offside.

Big problem today was that many of the players looked shatterd after about 75 mins partly no doubt

because

they put so much into the game in terms of closing down etc. Thought however that we started to defend far to deeply once again. McKay picked up the goal keepers kick well into our half. We were all over the shop and at times seemed to have Barton and Abdul also playing in defence and allowed them to run the midfield.