St Johnstone V Thistle 13/5/17

Auld Jag

I feel that , all season, and maybe in seasons past we lack a player like Scott Brown and , dare I say, Martin Hardie to harass and harangue the rest of the boys through till the end. We don't have somebody to take the game by the scruff of the neck and bully his own team when push comes to shove. We STILL back up and back up when it gets tight at the end and inevitably concede.

Is there anybody around at our budget? Not necessarily a great player but somebody who would run through a brick wall for us?

Comments/ideas?

There isn't much between Thistle and St Johnstone - despite Willie Miller's one-sided view. We had a couple of chances, with Barton's header being the best effort, but not enough over the whole of the game.

St Johnstone are a turgid team to watch. After they scored we struggled to create as they sat back, broke up play and hoofed it forward. They are very good at being utter shite to watch.

St johnstone play boring % football very well.

Felt great dozing in the conservatory today not really giving a shit about how we did! After the tensions of previous bottom six campaigns.

Will get along to the Aberdeen game to give the team a well deserved summer send off.

I heard Miller on the way back after the match and I suppose he did big up St J a tad too much. All he did tho' was to read out a list of goalmouth incidents and you could hardly argue in that respect he flattered the home team. A more general question would be to ask if you expect better from the BBC sports reportage than someone reading from a notebook. For all his linguistic faults, and I've always doubted English was his first language, at least Derek Ferguson leaves you with a better impression of how a match has panned out.

• Like 1

I heard Miller on the way back after the match and I suppose he did big up St J a tad too much. All he did tho' was to read out a list of goalmouth incidents and you could hardly argue in that respect he flattered the home team. A more general question would be to ask if you expect better from the BBC sports reportage than someone reading from a notebook. For all his linguistic faults, and I've always doubted English was his first language, at least Derek Ferguson leaves you with a better impression of how a match has panned out.

A list of St. Johnstone's. He missed out Barton's header, Edward's shot and Azeez shot in the first half. All direct goalmouth incidents that were not mentioned.

I was sitting right behind the goal and was convinced that Swanson dived for the penalty. Having viewed it on Jagzone, he DEFINITELY dived. He was on his way down before any contact and contact was only slight and made because he deliberately left his trailing leg in a position where it would slightly clip Keown's leg (which Keown was pulling away from the tackle). Definite dive.

Edited by Hugh Janus
  • Like 1

Dont understand the fuss about Willie Miller. Did we deserve anything from the game? If not and the performance was poor then what do you expect him to say?

Yes and no.

Is thats what you expect from Willie Miller? Yes. Is that's what you expect from BBC Sports Sound? Yes.

Is it good enough? No.

I'm not advocating that ex player/ex manager pundits should have thorough journalistic training, but they should receive the basics. It's not much to ask that in the time slot allocated they set the scene, give a balanced account of the salient incidents and end with a two/three sentence summary. Yesterday Miller made it sound as if St Johnstone were playing Tomas Cerny. True. we were poor and a draw would have somewhat flattered us but we were there.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

That was one of our worst performances of the season. Team looked jaded or suffering from that defeat last week or both. The guys have been great this season so they are entitled to that one, however if we turn up like that on Thursday, it could be embarrassing. Yesterday yet again proved that the best bit of business Archie can do for next season is get Tomas Cerny a two year extension to his current contract. If he doesn't, teams will be swooping about him come January

Edited by Lindau

That was one of our worst performances of the season. Team looked jaded or suffering from that defeat last week or both. The guys have been great this season so they are entitled to that one, however if we turn up like that on Thursday, it could be embarrassing. Yesterday yet again proved that the best bit of business Archie can do for next season is get Tomas Cerny a two year extension to his current contract. If he doesn't, teams will be swooping about him come January

Man United might be looking for a decent goalkeeper.

The 1st half at Tynecastle was utterly forgettable. The 2nd half we played some decent stuff. The Sevco game was the other way about and I wasn't at the game in Perth to comment. I passed comment when I saw the initial line-up against St Johnstone that there wasn't a creative player in there to make anything happen. I hope this is the area Archie is looking to add to this summer. Bannigan could be out for a while yet, even then he was playing more of a holding role prior to his injury and isn't the answer. We need a higgy type player to run and beat people.

Would you take Higgy? If he got his full confidence back, maybe he could get his previous form.

No. His 2nd season wasn't great and it's been downhill all the way for him since he left. Also the hypocrisy of joining a team with a plastic pitch after slagging off Douglas Park a few weeks earlier was annoying

I'm fairly sure Archie will at last find a replacement for Higgy. Someone who can play both sides but mainly cutting in from the left onto his right. As we change our formation regularly these days he'd have to also be able to play more centrally, either just off the striker or as a striker himself. That Higgy (first season) versatility offers everything that David Amoo can't or doesn't offer. McDaid was maybe seen as a future replacement for Higgy but he didn't quite make the grade. Must be annoying for Archie and also Lawless that Amoo can only play in the one position.

Sometimes I just think a person fits a club. Higgy's second season form with us would concern me more than his dip since he left us. (But was he fully fit?)

I don't know. On his day he was amazing, and the thought of him, Lawless, Erskine and Doolan in the same team is pretty attractive. If Archie thought he could get the best out of him then he might be worth a punt.

I don't think Archie would want to bring Higgy back but we definitely need that type of player again.

I've seen him a couple of times for Dunfermline this season and he looked quite good without standing out. Haven't heard many people get too excited about him. He obviously didn't do that well with Kilmarnock either

On the player he is right now I would say no. However, I do kind of agree with Allyo - sometimes a player just fits a club. He's still only 27 and if he got his drive and passion for the game back at Firhill then who knows? I thought he was still good in his second season with us but was injured a lot and got more closely marked.

It would definitely be a punt but not sure if it is one we need to take. Heart would say yes, head would say no.