Could Do Better?

BowenBoys

I think the club could do worse than look at how the warriors have developed. I was invited along to one of their business club events this morning. Last season they had sellouts at every home game - almost 7,500 each week. The business club, I guess is the equivalent of our Ambassadors. For 3000 per year it entitles the member to 4 tickets each home game including access to one of the hospitality suites. There are other entitlements as well.

Considering the Warriors were getting something similar to us when they first came to Firhill.

I think the club could do worse than look at how the warriors have developed. I was invited along to one of their business club events this morning. Last season they had sellouts at every home game - almost 7,500 each week. The business club, I guess is the equivalent of our Ambassadors. For 3000 per year it entitles the member to 4 tickets each home game including access to one of the hospitality suites. There are other entitlements as well.

Considering the Warriors were getting something similar to us when they first came to Firhill.

Think the Warriors are in a slightly different ball park that they have next to no comparable competition for fans that we encounter. If you're a rugby fan in the West of Scotland then Warriors are going to be your local professional team.

Not to say that we can't learn anything off them, as I know absolutely nothing about them due to hating rugby, but the markets we operate in are completely different.

Think the Warriors are in a slightly different ball park that they have next to no comparable competition for fans that we encounter. If you're a rugby fan in the West of Scotland then Warriors are going to be your local professional team.

Not to say that we can't learn anything off them, as I know absolutely nothing about them due to hating rugby, but the markets we operate in are completely different.

That's true to a certain extent - but they are based in Glasgow and still have to compete for spectators. However, I was thinking more along the lines of finding out how they grew their crowds and developed their corporate sponsorship side.

That's true to a certain extent - but they are based in Glasgow and still have to compete for spectators. However, I was thinking more along the lines of finding out how they grew their crowds and developed their corporate sponsorship side.

I think a lot of that is around how the Warriors have improved on the field, plus the success of the league they play in plus European matches too. Also they have many internationals in their squad as well. As OTIG says, I don't think you can really compare with what have to deal with in football

I think a lot of that is around how the Warriors have improved on the field, plus the success of the league they play in plus European matches too. Also they have many internationals in their squad as well. As OTIG says, I don't think you can really compare with what have to deal with in football

Are you really saying we should ignore their achievement because it isn't directly comparable ?

Are you really saying we should ignore their achievement because it isn't directly comparable ?

My first sentences more or less covers why their crowds and income have increased. Also add OTIG's comments they are the only major professional rugby club in the west of Scotland. Plus they moved to their own 'home' rather than ground sharing. These are all pretty major factors I would say, and very different from how we can possibly improve, so very difficult for us to learn. I never said ignore

I'd have thought at the interview stage any prospective commercial manager would be asked to display new avenues the Club can explore to generate incremental income. Be surprised if whoever the successful candidate turns out to be doesn't include awareness of commercial initiatives employed in any parallel industries, especially within the Glasgow area. Failing that you would expect our new commercial manager would have investigation of the likes high on his/her agenda.

You could argue, as I think Lenziejag would, that commercial activities and growth success at Glasgow Warriors is more relevant than like developments at football clubs in another geographical area. Punters' money and time are far from limitless and Warriors' evident success will have impacted somewhere along the line to some degree on the Jags. Same argument could no doubt be put forward re how yon ice hockey club at Braehead go about their business.

I'd have thought at the interview stage any prospective commercial manager would be asked to display new avenues the Club can explore to generate incremental income. Be surprised if whoever the successful candidate turns out to be doesn't include awareness of commercial initiatives employed in any parallel industries, especially within the Glasgow area. Failing that you would expect our new commercial manager would have investigation of the likes high on his/her agenda.

You could argue, as I think Lenziejag would, that commercial activities and growth success at Glasgow Warriors is more relevant than like developments at football clubs in another geographical area. Punters' money and time are far from limitless and Warriors' evident success will have impacted somewhere along the line to some degree on the Jags. Same argument could no doubt be put forward re how yon ice hockey club at Braehead go about their business.

Got to disagree a little bit LIB, first thing any commercial manager should do just now is probably make the operations within the the club more professional and deliver on time things like the Centenary Fund , Advertising and the shambles just now which is the Player Sponsorship from last year. ( how difficult is it to post out a player' s jersey or boots at the end of the season ? )

I've pulled out of the Centenary Fund already as have many others and have stopped advertising as well.

I'm seriously thinking about not doing Player Sponsorship because of the mess it has become and also because of the impersonal nature of it. Ultimately because of the Club's incompetence it's costing them money, we should try and maximise the revenue streams which we've already got , in my opinion that should be the first remit of the new Commercial director before other avenues are explored.

Edited by jlsarmy
  • Like 2

Can thistle not change the main game coverage cameras positions to the main stand this would at least give the impression that the ground is fuller than it looks . At present the ground on camera looks empty poor atmosphere and poor on the eye . Make it look that JH stand is full (move away fans into JH stand Eg smaller supported teams Ross county , Hamilton

(its all about the camera position showing our fans in the JH & North stand ) If it looks busy then it will be more attractive for Thistle supporters / football fans to come to firhill.

Agree cameras in CW stand would give a better impression of the stadium on the TV. Think Glasgow Warriors did this in the past with a scaffold behind the dug outs. Would need to be done to avoid blocking view of directors box but be far enough forward to avoid the columns. Gantry suspended below the roof possibly only option which could be expensive.

Commercial Manager number 1 on to-do list is give Joma a free if teasers to new away strip anything to go by!

Ok humble pie time and suckered by the blue in the teasers which is the goalie gear - pretty decent to be fair.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5SjU-MVF8q0/V4PfHuFnATI/AAAAAAAA9H0/c4oT-JTdv9Q8N0p5LM_ZbhJ5IziGx2O9ACLcB/s1600/rc-lens-16-17-kit%2B%25283%2529.jpg

Something along these lines would do nicely for the home strip please (Lens have had some crackers with same colours ....not sure I fancy a Croatia like tablecloth number right enough !)

• 2 months later...

Thistles Profile to up attendances at home games .

Did thistle not have a radio advert on Clyde a few years ago advertising the up and coming next home game at firhill .

Anyone no the cost of 30 second radio broadcast ?

Cost would depend on volume of ads and airing times. Certainly was when I used to place ads in another life. Gut feeling that side/back of bus advertising promoting kids go free would be far more effective.