Welcome To The Pleasure Dome

jagfox

Oh, well competitive action returns tomorrow. A potentially tricky fixture against a team we haven't played since winning the Old First Division. Apparently we've been at the stadium since, but I'll gloss over that...

Absolutely no idea who will start but at least all the faces should be recognisable.

Live have a couple of familiar names and I'm intrigued how the son of Stevie Pittman shows up.

Any win will do coupled with NO injuries.

Prices of £10/£5 are pretty good.

Will try and name a team but much depends on fitness, so this is probably totally wrong. 4-2-3-1 formation.

Cerny

Elliott

Devine

Barton

Booth

Edwards

Bannigan

Lawless

Erskine

Spittall

Doolan

I am assuming that Osman is not fully fit but may come on for Banzo. If Osman is fully fit, then he may start with Banzo coming on for him. I know that Barton is not at his best in a back 4, but with Keown's hopefully temporary injury, we are a bit short at the back and he is probably needed there more than midfield. I suppose we could play a back 5 including Penrice but that seems unnecessarily defensive against a Championship team and would mean sacrificing a forward player. Penrice may have to slot in for Booth if he is not quite ready.

I am certain Edwards will start somewhere and I have put him in a holding midfield role. I suppose he could play the forward midfield role behind the striker, but that means pushing Erskine wide where I think he is less effective and also results in having to choose either Spittall or Lawless but not both. Lawless scored some fantastic goals at Livingston in our promotion season so hopefully that memory will inspire him.

It is quite encouraging that even with a depleted squad we have some difficult choices to make which will mean good players being relegated to the bench. How much better it will be when most of the injured players are back, with Dumbaya and Fraser to follow, plus a couple (at least) more signings coming in.

Edited by partickthedog

Depending on who is ruled out I think we could struggle a bit in our opening 2 games. The balance of the team is so important to how we play and when we don't play well we rely so heavily on our strong defense. I think the central defence without Keown is a weak spot that could toil a bit if put under consistent pressure. Having said all that I'm just a knicker wetter after 40+ years of watching the unpredictable Jags

• Like 1

Well tomorrow, sees the beginning of my 41st season as a bona fide Partick Thistle fan and as usual I'm completely unable to guess what the coming season has in store for us fans. Apart from the fact that it will have the usual number of twists and turns: with which any Jags fan is all too familiar with.

For once without been too overconfident, we'll start the season with a relatively stable base to the team. Indeed, particularly in attack and midfield we still have the spine of our first Division winning team. If we (as we must) forget our execrable end to the season and our inability to beat the better teams in the league: take anything into the new season it must be that we are a reasonably decent team, who invariably try to play football in the correct manner. We added a fair degree of professionalism in the last couple of years and now have a much more streetwise approach which combined with an experienced and able defensive line see us, if Archie can bring in a decent forward take more points than we lose this season.

Edited by stillresigned
  • Like 1

Usually after I have been to an away ground once, I have no problem at all finding it again without need for map, satnav or any other form of assistance.

But I get lost every time trying to find the Livingston ground. I can never seem to get there the same way twice.

Do they subtly change the location each time they change the name of the stadium?

Usually after I have been to an away ground once, I have no problem at all finding it again without need for map, satnav or any other form of assistance.

But I get lost every time trying to find the Livingston ground. I can never seem to get there the same way twice.

Do they subtly change the location each time they change the name of the stadium?

Pretty sure they do. I don't believe I've ever taken the same route twice either. I seem to mind when leaving, no matter where you're going, to follow signs for Edinburgh. No wonder there so much trouble in the Middle East.

eta I too think this will be a tough one tomorrow. if I mind right you can come away with 2 pts in this tournament. That might be no that bad.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

If you come off the M8 at the second exit for Livingston you come on to dual carriageway and it is marked for the stadium a bit down the road.

If you come in on the A71 side i.e. From the more southern approach the stadium route is marked as well.

If all else fails you can't go wrong following either the St John's Hospital signs or ones for the Almondvale Centre as the stadium is sandwiched between the two.

Hope to see loads of you there?

Cerny

Elliot Keown Barton Penrice

Edwards Banzo

lawless Erskine Spittal

Doolan

Not many options to be honest but to go with the above. Should be a tight game and our lack of options on the bench is a worry. Kevin Nisbet will be the only one with any real experience.

Edited by Alan Murray

Cerny

Elliot Keown Barton Penrice

Edwards Banzo

lawless Erskine Spittal

Doolan

Not many options to be honest but to go with the above. Should be a tight game and our lack of options on the bench is a worry. Kevin Nisbet will be the only one with any real experience.

I presume you meant Devine instead of Keown as Niall is out?

Pretty sure they do. I don't believe I've ever taken the same route twice either. I seem to mind when leaving, no matter where you're going, to follow signs for Edinburgh. No wonder there so much trouble in the Middle East.

eta I too think this will be a tough one tomorrow. if I mind right you can come away with 2 pts in this tournament. That might be no that bad.

I'm sure that West Lothian in general, like other parts of God' own country is actually in another dimension of time and space where the 'normal' rules of science don't apply?

Either that it's a c*nt of a place where the local authority keep changing things for the sake of it, in futile attempts to rebrand itself as a top ten tourist destination? Seriously, I've noticed the same phenomenon myself: when I used to drive to games and found my mental map,completely erroneous.

He said he might have to use him more than he wanted.

That's how I read it as well. If so, and I'm maybe reading too much into it, but that kinda shows that we use these LC group stages as a prep for the League kick off. Put another way I doubt Archie will simply field his strongest and fittest team available today. Personally I want to see the LC sections taken seriously (it helps create a pathway towards a 16 club league) but that's up to the SPFL to provide the necessary incentives. Meantime we might have to accept the likes of today's game is a sort of hybrid, a "competitive friendly".