Keeping The Faith? Calling For Change?

TartanC4

PT says it like it is. Let’s not be one of those clubs that chops & changes management teams just because we go through a barren spell.

Some barren spell. 15 league games without a win? Against lower opposition in the League Cup we were honking. This barren spell is getting longer by the week. I am at a total loss at what Archie is doing. Nitriansky at right back, McGinn at left back, Turnbull, who can play left back on the bench, Barton who has been poor constantly in midfield. No news on what is happening with Bannigan and Lawless? Why were we so short on the subs bench. Surely we have some youngsters who could be involved. Archie needs to take this awful situation by the scruff of the neck. Turnbull at left back, Barton behind a back four (to shore it up), McGinn back at RB. McCarthy in the centre of midfield, Storey through the middle ,not list out wide. If he shows his willing to try something new the fans will be more appreciative.

• Like 5

Knightswood Jag if we continue on this run and wait until the end of the year to get rid we could be so far behind it would take a miracle to keep us up.If we are to get somebody else in we have to at least give them a chance of keeping us up.At the moment we are not detached.A win next week and we would only be 2 points behind Dundee,but a defeat and yet another team begins to pull away.This week is a big week for the board and also for Archie.If he is still in charge on Saturday we must see a reaction from the team and prove they are behind Archie,another performance like yesterday and he has to go.

Agree, I said to my friend a few days ago that if we don't win any of the next 3 games(Killie yesterday, Dundee and Hamilton) Archie has to go but I'm being a bit more positive and thinking that we'll pick up a few points between now and the end of the year which will keep us close to other teams but still bottom.

PT says it like it is. Let’s not be one of those clubs that chops & changes management teams just because we go through a barren spell.

We've been through barren spells with Archie before but the difference between this time and other times is that we at least looked like we were trying the past few times, whereas this time we look absolutely devoid of any pace, creativity and effort. People can say it'll be ok when Booth, Osman, Dumbuya etc come back but if we're going with the same team as yesterday to the end of the year it will breed a losing habit and we'll just accept losses as 'not our day'. Don't agree with clubs that constantly change manager but you need to change manager eventually in modern football otherwise things become stagnant and there is no progress(see Wenger at Arsenal).

regarding Dumbaya and Fraser they have barely played in over 2 years there’s obviously something far more serious with their injuries and not sure they could be seen as integral parts of the squad for well over a year now

Dumbaya came back into the matchday squad at the end of January this year and remained on the team sheet until mid April.

He played a total of 7 full games, was an unused sub 3 times and was subbed once.

He played on both the right and left of a back 4 and 3/5 formation and the team lost games only to Aberdeen and Rangers during that time.

His run in the team coincided almost directly with the team's 8 game unbeaten run which lifted us from 10th in the league to 6th and kept us there till the split.

Last season we won a total of 10 games. Mustapha started in 4 of them.

It might also be noted that MD played every minute of our 6 game unbeaten run with a 4 game winning streak the previous season which lifted us from 11th to 5th just before Christmas.

I don't know the severity of his injury. However as far as I am aware he has been kept out with 3 different, specific problems while with us. That said, he does seem to have a recurring weakness in one of his knees.

I've posted about this before, and it's been hinted their are other issues with his return. He's older now and injuries may well have worn him down, however I have no evidence to confirm that. Therefore I hope he might still return and once more prove himself to be a very useful asset to the the squad.

I'm not attempting to make out he is our potential saviour, and it may well be my hope for his return is forlorn if the truth is his injuries are overwhelming. However, the stats show that he has been an integral part of our team in their most successful periods over the last two seasons.

Missing:

Dumbuya (hardly been fit since last summer)

Fraser (hardly been fit since last summer)

Osman (training injury that required surgery)

Booth (out until Xmas?)

Elliot (out until March)

Lawless (got the man flu)

Bannigan (no idea)

Nisbet (no idea)

Realistically we are missing one right back, one left back and a CM from starting lineup.

Realistically you have listed 7 players that have started for us in the past year and come to a conclusion referring to only 3.

Osman is both our club captain and key defensive midfielder. It is arguable that the preferred replacement for his absence might be Bannigan, and Fraser when he was fit (though he has not played for over a year) also offered some competition for the place.

Booth is our only specified dedicated left back. It is arguable that Archie should have sought proper cover for him in the pre-season. However, McGinn was a fairly late addition to the squad (late august), and may well have been chosen after the search for a suitable left back was exhausted. Booth was injured in the first game after McGinn signed and Elliot, who had played left back capably in the previous season, provided decent cover over for almost 4 full games (only being beaten in extra time by rangers) until he too was injured.

We are missing two key players at left back and three players who have provided decent contributions from the centre of midfield.

Furthermore, Lawless has been, I would guess, in our top 3/4 goal scorers and "assist" charts since promotion. To brush over his absence is bizarre.

Missing:

Dumbuya (hardly been fit since last summer)

Fraser (hardly been fit since last summer)

Osman (training injury that required surgery)

Booth (out until Xmas?)

Elliot (out until March)

Lawless (got the man flu)

Bannigan (no idea)

Nisbet (no idea)

Realistically we are missing one right back, one left back and a CM from starting lineup.

Out of the 8 mentioned can anyone tell me who played the Rangers double header or the Aberdeen game.

Archie needs to take this awful situation by the scruff of the neck. Turnbull at left back, Barton behind a back four (to shore it up), McGinn back at RB. McCarthy in the centre of midfield, Storey through the middle ,not list out wide. If he shows his willing to try something new the fans will be more appreciative.

this ^^ 100%

He has at most 3 further games to improve results or he should be sacked.

FFS.

Quit the delusion - Archibald is never going to be the manager of a prestigious football club. He isn't good enough.

LOL. I guess Thistle aren't prestigious then.

The utterly miserable posters on here, who have complained and complained and complained for years are all now in absolute hog heaven.

Archie should go find a better club for himself away from pish like this.

• Like 1

FFS.

LOL. I guess Thistle aren't prestigious then.

The utterly miserable posters on here, who have complained and complained and complained for years are all now in absolute hog heaven.

Archie should go find a better club for himself away from pish like this.

Wherever he does go in future, Wether it bd a Barnsley a Real Madrid or a Needham Market FC he will find pish like this.

Some barren spell. 15 league games without a win? Against lower opposition in the League Cup we were honking. This barren spell is getting longer by the week. I am at a total loss at what Archie is doing. Nitriansky at right back, McGinn at left back, Turnbull, who can play left back on the bench, Barton who has been poor constantly in midfield. No news on what is happening with Bannigan and Lawless? Why were we so short on the subs bench. Surely we have some youngsters who could be involved. Archie needs to take this awful situation by the scruff of the neck. Turnbull at left back, Barton behind a back four (to shore it up), McGinn back at RB. McCarthy in the centre of midfield, Storey through the middle ,not list out wide. If he shows his willing to try something new the fans will be more appreciative.

Maybe that’s why he is a manager and you are not. He’s doing his best with an injury depleted squad.

A sycophantic puff piece. You seem to prioritise Alan Archibald's reputation and career over the potential of PTFC to remain in the top flight.

The Thistle support have always been very patient with Archibald. He has previously lurched through periods of dreadful performances and results, and countless late capitulations, and the support have been benevolent. He has at most 3 further games to improve results or he should be sacked.

Quit the delusion - Archibald is never going to be the manager of a prestigious football club. He isn't good enough.

I strongly disagree, he already is or at least in my eyes there is no more a prestigious a club than my beloved Partick Thistle Football Club. And as far as Archie's record goes it's up there with the best so yes my friend he is certainly good enough.

I've supported Thistle for 40 years, and over that period there have been some dreadful spells, much worse than the present one - I can remember playing Alloa at Recreation Park, and the team being so poor that spectators were telling the players what to do, where to pass, and the players (especially the Callaghan brothers) doing as they were told.

Archibald has recently benefitted from sentimentality linked to his playing days, but he has also been more successful over a longer period than any manager I can remember. He seems however to be very conservative and cautious - cup ties at Firhill and Tannadice with no striker, and repeatedly slow to bring on subs.

To survive, he needs to throw caution to the wind. He needs to bring in fresh, younger faces and recognise that tinkering with the positions of established players will not be enough. He's tried that - it hasn't worked. He has now to be bold and experimental, and that won't come easily to him. It is his only hope.

I've supported Thistle for 40 years, and over that period there have been some dreadful spells, much worse than the present one - I can remember playing Alloa at Recreation Park, and the team being so poor that spectators were telling the players what to do, where to pass, and the players (especially the Callaghan brothers) doing as they were told.

Archibald has recently benefitted from sentimentality linked to his playing days, but he has also been more successful over a longer period than any manager I can remember. He seems however to be very conservative and cautious - cup ties at Firhill and Tannadice with no striker, and repeatedly slow to bring on subs.

To survive, he needs to throw caution to the wind. He needs to bring in fresh, younger faces and recognise that tinkering with the positions of established players will not be enough. He's tried that - it hasn't worked. He has now to be bold and experimental, and that won't come easily to him. It is his only hope.

Good post. I feel Archie has been almost paralysed in the last couple of matches to change anything. He doesn't have his attacking fullbacks available just now so why are we setting up as if we do. At half time at Motherwell I couldn't believe he didn't make subs. Killie game as well we were way too late with the subs. We are on a terrible spiral down at the moment and Archie is repeating the same tactics and formations. Two weeks after a horrific display at fir park he sent a team out that copied exactly what we had done a fortnight before . I really hope Archie can find something different in his locker to turn things around,

All bad spells are relative eg a bad spell in Duv 1 isn’t necessarily the same as this one

But as much as we want Archie to succeed it can’t be at the expense of not winning and the longer our not wining league games goes on - currently no win in 17 - the harder it is to avoid the issue

No managef is bigger than the Club

Owen Coyle, Steve Clarke and Paul Hartley have just taken jobs at teams around our level. All three would have been decent options for us so let's no pretend there's no one out there. Even poaching someone like Hopkin from Livingston could be an option.

I don't want to see Archie go but we might have no choice. This isn't just a slight dip in form, it's an alarmingly long run where we look short of confidence and out of ideas. Right now I just can't see where a win is coming from. Killie were up for it yesterday and we weren't.

He has major problems. Pairing Edwards and Barton in the midfield is one of them. They just don't work together and he keeps persevering with them. You might say he has no choice with Bannigan, Osman and Fraser out but I disagree. McCarthy has looked promising every time I've seen him and should be getting starts now.

The wing backs are a problem, and that's something that he can't really help. Just bad luck. McGinn actually looks quite good but Nitriansky for me, from what I've seen, isn't anything special at this level.

Storey and Sammon haven't set the heather alight and it's something that I mentioned after the Hearts game - their partnerships with Doolan don't look anywhere near being formed effectively. Whereas Doolan and Erskine know each other's games inside out, the other two can't seem to find any patterns/rhythm together. This is a major problem when Erskine has matches like yesterday where he did absolutely nothing.

This is not like last season where you could see the signs that we were a decent team. We look ordinary right now and it's worrying.

Personally I'd give Archie the next two games. That way he's played every team in the league. If you've played every team in the league and you've not beat any of them, then there's no defence. It's time to go. Let's hope he can get a win or two.

Agree they are decent options and about the long run of poor form.

Also don't want Archie to leave and glad he didn't when approached by other teams.

Thistle fans in general are very supporting of managers and we treat them with far greater respect than most teams fans ever would.

The songs sung for Archie and Johnny Lambie have made my day and no doubt theirs on many an occasion. They both, I believe, found their place at Firhill and whilst loyalty shouldn't mean a job for life in a results orientated footballing world, we owe these guys and SP a chance beyond at least the next window.

We'd feel as good as they would if we turned it round by the end of the season.

• Like 1

anyboby know when we last went 15 league games without a win

15 without a league win looks like the 2nd worst run in our history.

Way out on its own is the "homeless" season with 26 (5 draws and 21 defeats) between November 1908 and October 1909.

Before Saturday's defeat there were two candidates with 14 - November 1989-March 1990 (5 draws and 9 defeats) and August 2003-November 2003 (2 draws and 12 defeats - 10 of them consecutive).

13 between September 1969 and November 1969 (4 draws and 9 defeats) is up there as well.

Only another 12 to set a new record!! Crisis? What crisis?

It isn't his only hope. He can also hope that between now and Christmas when most of our injuries should have cleared up that we aren't too far adrift from safety. At the moment we are 4 from safety. He maybe has another 4 or 5 before he needs to throw caution to the wind

Are you seriously suggesting that he continues with the present selection/tactics and hopes that the presently injured are not joined by others before Christmas, and that everything will be hunky dory when Santa calls. I don't want Archibald to go, but he has to ring the changes NOW.

Edited by eljaggo
  • Like 1

Are you seriously suggesting that he continues with the present selection/tactics and hopes that the presently injured are not joined by others before Christmas, and that everything will be hunky dory when Santa calls. I don't want Archibald to go, but he has to ring the changes NOW.

No - just pointing out that there is an alternative to your "only hope"

But based on Saturdays personnel he doesn't have many options.

Who would you play and where ?

No - just pointing out that there is an alternative to your "only hope"

But based on Saturdays personnel he doesn't have many options.

Who would you play and where ?

Cerny

Turnbull Devine Keown Mcginn

Erskine Edwards Mcarthy Milan

Spittal

Doolan

Paul Mcginn back to his natural position and Jordan Turnbull is naturally left sided and has played full back before