Hamilton Accies

eljaggo

The word for this season is "injured". You can judge once the players are back whether we have stood still or regressed. As long as we are still in touch come the winter break I think we still have a chance of survival.

This stagnant run has been evident since after our 1-0 win against Motherwell pre-split. We capitulated in the following games conceding 18 goals in just 6 matches. Our cup games against all except St.Mirren at the start of the season were some of the most turgid and excruciating of recent memory. Injuries were not the issue post-split, and they were't an issue during the opening Cup and League games of the season, especially taking into account the quality of the opposition like Stranraer. Our performances simply plateaued, and the entire feeling both on the field and off it seems to be an atmosphere of stagnation.

Edited by Yellow & Redneck
  • Like 2

This stagnant run has been evident since after our 1-0 win against Motherwell pre-split. We capitulated in the following games conceding 18 goals in just 6 matches. Our cup games against all except St.Mirren at the start of the season were some of the most turgid and excruciating of recent memory. Injuries were not the issue post-split, and they were't an issue during the opening Cup and League games of the season, especially taking into account the quality of the opposition like Stranraer. Our performances simply plateaued, and the entire feeling both on the field and off it seems to be an atmosphere of stagnation.

I am not sure you are right about the league cup games. In two of those games we didn't have a full bench or 1st choice team

After the split last season we downed tools, no doubt and possibly that had an impact to attitude this season, but the main issue has been injuries

Sorry but have to disagree. We have enough quality in the squad that we should comfortably beat lower league opposition. But we didn't. We were lucky to get a draw at Livingston. We laboured at Airdrie. And only beat Stranraer with a last minute winner having struggled to create chances all game.

Undoubtedly injuries have affected us but let's not kid ourselves that's been the sole reason for the poor season so far.

• Like 2

Sorry but have to disagree. We have enough quality in the squad that we should comfortably beat lower league opposition. But we didn't. We were lucky to get a draw at Livingston. We laboured at Airdrie. And only beat Stranraer with a last minute winner having struggled to create chances all game.

Undoubtedly injuries have affected us but let's not kid ourselves that's been the sole reason for the poor season so far.

Unfortunately there is no evidence that our depleted squad is good enough to comfortably beat lower league opposition.

Unfortunately there is no evidence that our depleted squad is good enough to comfortably beat lower league opposition.

The team that started each game against lower league opposition was virtually the same team that got us 6th position in the premiership last season. Does that not count as evidence?

The team that started each game against lower league opposition was virtually the same team that got us 6th position in the premiership last season. Does that not count as evidence?

Your wrong !

Against Livingston there was no Keown, Booth, Lindsay or Osman. Bannigan was playing his 1st game in about 15 months and no senior players on the bench.

Against Airdrie only Booth was back in the team and only Bannigan as senior player on the bench.

Nowhere near the team that got us top 6 last season

Your wrong !

Against Livingston there was no Keown, Booth, Lindsay or Osman. Bannigan was playing his 1st game in about 15 months and no senior players on the bench.

Against Airdrie only Booth was back in the team and only Bannigan as senior player on the bench.

Nowhere near the team that got us top 6 last season

Okay so you're clearly being pedantic. The players who lined up in the League Cup games all contributed to last seasons sixth place finish, yes, some more regularly than others.

But look at the team line ups again - are you honestly telling me that they were weak? Weaker than the teams we lined up against? Seriously?

Okay so you're clearly being pedantic. The players who lined up in the League Cup games all contributed to last seasons sixth place finish, yes, some more regularly than others.

But look at the team line ups again - are you honestly telling me that they were weak? Weaker than the teams we lined up against? Seriously?

I am not being pedantic, I am responding to your point about beating them comfortably

They weren't weaker as we didn't lose one game - but they weren't strong enough(St Mirren apart, when we did have a full squad) to comfortably beat them as you said.

Edited by Lenziejag

League cup games were little more than pre season warm ups and thistle got through them. Hardly worth debating.

League form in my view can be put down to a combination of things...

1. Very bad luck with the schedule, meaning that we opened the season with four of the toughest games in the league programme

2. Injuries to too many key players, which may have been manageable initially but started to overwhelm us

3. Diminishing confidence due to results, which hit us just as the most 'winnable' games came along.

These three factors have resulted in the manager having to make unplanned signings, stick with out-of-form players, mess with line-ups and systems and play people out of position. For me, he's been put under undue pressure considering these factors (and everything he's done previously), though probably only by the media. The fans largely back him, which I think is huge.

We may continue to struggle a bit, but there are signs of us getting on top of things. The last two results and performances have been massive improvements on the previous two.

What makes me most confident that we'll improve this season is the continuity and apperent unity at Thistle compared to clubs like Dundee, Kilmarnock and Ross County. I think it's what allows us to improve year on year. To be honest I don't expect us to finish top six, there are too many decent teams well ahead, but I expect us to be okay.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 4