How The League Is Looking.

Auld Jag

Its difficult not to be miserable given some of the performances and results so far. I wouldn't say that we demonstrated anything other than bottom 2 material

No doubt Thistle are in deep sh1t this year. Other teams around us seem to be able to pick up an unexpected 3 points from time to time - something utterly beyond us.

Currently 5 points off the top 6 with 25 games to play, having spent the first round of games with a ridiculous injury list.

Hats off, to Archie. The man's a miracle worker!

Fair play to Archie he’s started to be able to grind results out recently and playing players in positions that are alien to them with a relative success, from now till Xmas it looks like he’ll have to do the same but with teams getting accustomed to these players out of position and starting to try to exploit it, we ain’t out the woods yet, but if we can stick with the pack till injuries are cleared we should be ok

The Killie comments are nothing other than vague opinion, not one person on here will have seen enough of them to know much about their prospects. The only fact is that they aren't doing any better than we are right now.

So therefore, nonsense.

Killie beat Hearts, i wonder if we can do that, or will we write that one off because they finished above us last year

I fear the issue regarding the game against Hearts might be the opening of their new stand and the (false) up-lifting impact it might have on them - obviously to our detriment.

We should not have agreed to swap venues for the first game in any case - depriving us of a game against them at effectively a neutral venue - but hind-sight is 20-20.

No doubt Thistle are in deep sh1t this year. Other teams around us seem to be able to pick up an unexpected 3 points from time to time - something utterly beyond us.

Whilst I agree we rarely get an unexpected result, we are actually very good at getting the expected ones (better than most) - our record against the bottom six since promotion has been every bit as strong as our poor shows against the better teams

I fear the issue regarding the game against Hearts might be the opening of their new stand and the (false) up-lifting impact it might have on them - obviously to our detriment.

We should not have agreed to swap venues for the first game in any case - depriving us of a game against them at effectively a neutral venue - but hind-sight is 20-20.

That will be a challenge but we could also turn that on Hearts as they will be under pressure to get a result, given both the occasion and their own indifferent start

Personally I think Killie are also in the frame, maybe even County as well.

A wee test here. Hearts play Killie tomorrow. What result will you be happy with? I reckon if you're still upbeat about our chances this season you'd be happy with a Killie win. My view is that would be the worst outcome.

killie winning today was a bad result for us but does bear out what I said about them having more than enough to escape a relegation dogfight. I also think Dundee are in a better place than us ( although yes with fewer points at the moment) because they have a better squad , have more match winners, and generally play better football.

Of course I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we have great squad this year. We,ve lost our best outfield player Lindsay and really missing Sean welsh who we didnt replace. Gambling on bannigan being able to come back from a horrendous injury was indeed a risk.

Still think it will be us and Hamilton fighting it out at the bottom- Hamilton also have some on their best players out injured.

Btw. I fully back the manager - he has worked miracles over the last few years in terms of working within a lot of constraints and hopefully he will do it again. This however is the toughest year yet.

Is it guaranteed this game is going ahead?

killie winning today was a bad result for us but does bear out what I said about them having more than enough to escape a relegation dogfight. I also think Dundee are in a better place than us ( although yes with fewer points at the moment) because they have a better squad , have more match winners, and generally play better football.

Of course I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we have great squad this year. We,ve lost our best outfield player Lindsay and really missing Sean welsh who we didnt replace. Gambling on bannigan being able to come back from a horrendous injury was indeed a risk.

Still think it will be us and Hamilton fighting it out at the bottom- Hamilton also have some on their best players out injured.

Btw. I fully back the manager - he has worked miracles over the last few years in terms of working within a lot of constraints and hopefully he will do it again. This however is the toughest year yet.

As the policy seems to be to sign players and only draft in younger players very reluctantly, the team looks slow as well as unimaginative. Penrice and Mccarthy should really be established by now, instead of being squandered on lower clubs or bench-warming until games have been won or lost. If the likes of Sane or Rashford can play at the top English level, surely it is ridiculous to suggest that our young players cannot play at ours.

• Like 1

As the policy seems to be to sign players and only draft in younger players very reluctantly, the team looks slow as well as unimaginative. Penrice and Mccarthy should really be established by now, instead of being squandered on lower clubs or bench-warming until games have been won or lost. If the likes of Sane or Rashford can play at the top English level, surely it is ridiculous to suggest that our young players cannot play at ours.

The team doesn't just look slow, it is slow. Obviously you can't do anything about pace, tho' you can understand the only speedy player currently available, Storey, being used in wide positions.

What we can work on is moving the ball about faster and basic movement both of which have been on the poor side of late. During the first half at Ibrox most of the balls were punted high to the two up front. Frustrating as Sammon rarely wins a header and Storey doesn't have the first touch anywhere close to that of Doolan. All that was I suppose understandable given we've sacrificed midfield to play two up and three centrebacks.

But when we changed the system for the second half we really needed to up the tempo and move the ball about much quicker. Our distribution is too slow. The one positive constant recently has been Cerny. More often than not he makes an outstanding save often saving us a point or two. Speedier distribution tho' starts with the goalie. If he doesn't get the ball out to a defender fast enough then the fullback/centreback ends up punting the ball rather aimlessly down the flank, winning a throw in at best.

Booth and Elliott are both pretty fast when they get going, and Storey clearly is. I think it's not really that most of our other players are slower than those at other teams, it's simply our build-ups that are often painfully slow, with too many pointless sideways passes with little creativity or movement off the ball.

About goalies: Kenny Arthur was about the slowest I can recall when it came to releasing the ball after a save... really dreadful, slow punts which more often than not lost us possession. Tuffey, by contrast, was actually good at setting up fast moves from kick-outs or throws to a defender.

The change Kilmarnock have undergone from Jig to Steve Clarke has been huge. I can't see them being in any danger now.

Bottom three will be any one of us, Dundee and Accies, I feel confident in saying that even at this point. Would bite your hand off for 10th.

The Killy honeymoon will soon be over.

Dundee and Hamilton can't buy a point at the moment, but that will also change

I don't think Hearts are that good, but they have got a big enough kitty to be out of any trouble, and will be safe along with the 4 other "big" clubs. That leaves 7 teams any of whom could be in danger when the league splits. It is far too early to read anything into the current table. There are small margins between these 7 teams and none are too good to have a bad run.

• Like 3

"I truly believe that the people on here talking down Thistle would be talking down Killie, Ross County or St Johnstone; if they were Killie, Ross County or St Johnstone fans."

Well said, the thing that really bothers me though is the fact that now we're into November and there is no more good drying weather, how are all these guys going to get their wet undergarments really dry??

I truly believe that the people on here talking down Thistle would be talking down Killie, Ross County or St Johnstone; if they were Killie, Ross County or St Johnstone fans.

I'm not talking thistle down, the title of the thread is how is the league looking. Being a realist I think we may continue to struggle despite best efforts. The way things are shaping up no one team looks like being detached for a while but based on how teams have played this year, the respective squads , ability to invest in January , long term injuries etc i think it's between us and Hamilton who will be fighting at the bottom. If Dundee change manager who knows but based on what I have seen i think Dundee have enough good players and a way of playing which will start to pick up a few points. Killie may well be bottom six but are no way relegation material... They have a very decent squad , spent a lot of money and now have an extremely effective coach and manager who has worked with some of the best in the game.

I could however just say as many have that if we reach Xmas still in touch and get a few players back we will be fine......but I don,t see the evidence for this. hope I'm completely wrong.

Fair enough.

The way I see it is that we were more than good enough last season, and with players fit I think we are stronger this season. Turnbull is a good replacement for Lindsay, Storey is better than Azeez, Spittal better than Amoo, Bannigan better than Welsh, and McGinn, Woods and Sammon are straight additions.

So I don't see any reason to think we can't do well. This guarantees nothing of course. The team has to play well, get a bit of consistency and confidence. But with bad breaks we're still in touch and I see very little reason to rate our chances below those of Dundee, Kilmarnock, Ross County etc.

• Like 2