Anyone For Dumfries?

robphil

as 'er indoors has decided to stay indoors for the duration of the winter, i have a spare adult ticket for palmerston going free. if anyone is looking for a ticket, pm me your address and i will send it off by first class post...

Edited by robphil

I think the large numbers looking forward to an away day in Dumfries supports the argument for more variety in the fixture list. Time to ditch these silly little leagues.

:thumbsup2:

My point from elsewhere in the forum. I very much doubt we would take as many to play a January Cup game at Dens or McDiarmid.

http://www.qosfc.com/news-3887

• Like 1

The all ticket business scuppers it for me. I was gonnae drive up expecting to pay at the gate as in olden days. But....

Do they honestly expect it to be packed to capacity?

By the way, there's another fan I know of not prepared to chance coming up from south of the border only to risk not getting in.

Groan.

The all ticket business scuppers it for me. I was gonnae drive up expecting to pay at the gate as in olden days. But....

Do they honestly expect it to be packed to capacity?

By the way, there's another fan I know of not prepared to chance coming up from south of the border only to risk not getting in.

Groan.

Is there any reason you couldn't have bought a ticket and had it posted (I know it's too short notice now, but previously) Just wondering

The all ticket business scuppers it for me. I was gonnae drive up expecting to pay at the gate as in olden days. But.... Do they honestly expect it to be packed to capacity? By the way, there's another fan I know of not prepared to chance coming up from south of the border only to risk not getting in. Groan.

Have you phoned the club and asked about paying for one now and picking it up down there?

My point from elsewhere in the forum. I very much doubt we would take as many to play a January Cup game at Dens or McDiarmid.

I think it depends on how established we feel as a club at any given point.

The rising Thistle seems to attract more support than the stable Thistle.

Agree also that it can depend on a 'good day out' type of feeling.

Overall though I still feel our away support has been an incredibly biased number over the years.

As usual will leave the stats to TJR, but I remember an incredible support at the following for example;

Killie away in the cup a few years ago. We lost, maybe 3-0, and filled the whole away stand. Could have been 4000 Thistle.

Dundee away many years ago in the first division. Won 2-1 to overtake them in the league. Isaac English scored I think? Great day apart from getting kicked off the train at Perth.

Celtic away in the 2-1 win, early 90's. My Celtic mate says it's one of the largest away supports he'd seen.

Motherwell away. The 3-2 win when they opened the Motorolla Stand. 2-0 down at half time as well.

Great days and a massive shout out to the guys travelling on Saturday.

Wish I could join you.

Mon The Jags :music:

I think the large numbers looking forward to an away day in Dumfries supports the argument for more variety in the fixture list. Time to ditch these silly little leagues.

Valid suggestion, but how many would we get at Firhill vs QotS in a league fixture in a meaningless game in the middle of a 16 team league season?

Valid suggestion, but how many would we get at Firhill vs QotS in a league fixture in a meaningless game in the middle of a 16 team league season?

Firstly, I don't buy the 'meaningless game' argument. We go to watch Thistle do their best. To, hopefully, achieve victory and finish as high in the league as possible. It's competitive sport, it's what I love to watch.

I don't see why the crowd would be any less than it would be for a second home fixture against, for instance, Ross County. In fact, given that it would likely be the only time we play them at home that season, the tie will have a freshness to it that might bring more fans out.

League football has a long history (127 years in Scotland). In all that time the most established format has been playing every other team home and away. Once this is done, the team that has performed best is worthy of being crowned champions.

When Scottish football decided to change its system, it was done to create a better 'product'. It was supposed to improve the quality of the game by having the better teams playing each other. It would level the playing field amongst them and they would all grow into more competitive clubs. Has it worked?

Using the 'meaningless game' argument, I could quite reasonably claim that all games after about week 6 are meaningless. We know who is going to win the league. To keep the interest going we have the 'Top Six'. But what is that all about? A meaningless construct.

If we had two leagues of 16/18/20, many teams (including us) would be able to live in a less fearful environment and slowly develop and become more competitive. I believe that this, ultimately, has a better chance of success than the current incestuous set up with its novelty features.

In terms of improving the quality of Scottish football as a whole, the last 23 years has been wasted. Time for a change imo.

• Like 1

I'm not necessarily suggesting a 16 team league but why would any game become "meaningless" half way thru a season? Perhaps two thirds to three quarters of a way thru such a league there's a possibility that two, three, maybe at a stretch four clubs aren't either in any danger of relegation/play offs and can't realistically achieve a Euro place. Is that too much different from some clubs under the present system with 7 to 10 games remaining?

Turn it round the other way could anyone convince fans of clubs playing in larger leagues to adopt our system (with split) or our other three tiers (with no split)? Besides I've never heard any real objection to the league set ups south of the border. Even with play offs top and bottom their leagues are considerably larger than 16.

The only reason our small numbered leagues came into existence in the first place (in the mid 70s) was to propagate competition with the OF. However that was at a time when gates were split. Top league clubs would thus benefit from four visits to the OF grounds. I won't argue one way or the other about the merits of that and certainly Aberdeen and Dundee Utd definitely benefited. Whatever, that's all null and void with home clubs retaining all gate money and year on year no serious challenge to the OF.

Putting the ugly sisters aside the real gulf in Scottish senior football is between full time and part time clubs. Roughly that's half and half and more or less a snapshot of the top two and bottom two tiers today. I'm fully aware that football is not solely about getting bums on seats and generating gate money but the present system risks the existence of inherently well supported clubs stuck in limbo in the 2nd tier. Nowadays I'm not sure that a club our size could survive as a full time entity another 10 year spell out of the top division. That goes for more than a few clubs of similar size. I wouldn't want to get to the stage where enlarging the league is academic as there's not enough full time clubs to fill it. That tho' is dwelling on the negative reasons for a larger league when I really believe the positives are staring us in the face.

Have you phoned the club and asked about paying for one now and picking it up down there?

Is there any reason you couldn't have bought a ticket and had it posted (I know it's too short notice now, but previously) Just wondering

To be honest, I wasn't sure enough whether I would be able to go, or how I was going to travel, but got slightly complacent and expected to be able to just turn up and pay in.

I still don't see why it has to be all ticket. Unless it turns out to be a full house or near enough, I think it'll prove to be a bad decision. I hope it does end up full and we win, of course.

Edited by Blackpool Jags
  • Like 1

Got mate in castle douglas, apparently it's horrendous down galloway area. Be very surprised if it were on. Glad i didn't manage to talk the missus into an overnighter. Really dont think my wee renault will make it!! If you pass a wee snowman at side of the road with his thumb out it'll be me

Apparently they have terracing which is not being opened.

Why could they not just open this and allow Jags fans to turn up on the day and use it?

Is the game on? If there is any doubt, a decision should be made tonight so that fans don’t travel.

I plan to leave house at 8am so I'd be grateful to at least know the likelihood tonight.

Not really answering why they don't use the terracing as a contingency but with this latest snowfall having to clear the terracing might put the game under further risk.