New Management

javeajag

2 hours ago, eljaggo said:

I am not suggesting for  moment that fans boycott the remaining gaames.  What has history got to do with challenging or not challenging for a high league finish? My assertion was/is that many posters on here are content with mediocrity, and for whom relegation will bring a shrug of the shoulders since our history shows that to have been pre-destined  That is an absurd ambition for any sporting club that competes minute by minute, game by game. 

What is a high league position ?

9 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Right now ? Nothing. There are only 6 games left. The chances are a new manager isn’t going to be able to make a difference. 

You may not have vilified the manager or players, but others have.

And isn’t now the time the team need our support most ? I think we were in a similar position our 1st season up. 1st game of the split we went to Rugby Park. Took a large crowd down, gave the team our full backing and came away with a win.

But, I was responding to your assertion that we should be challenging for the top positions in Scotland. Unfortunately, history and  finances disagree.

Totally agree our Club needs our backing but don’t get the history bit at all, reverse parallel would be Clyde were a great team in the 50s ,Queens Park were once the driving force in Scottish Football , nothing to do with what is happening just now .

In terms of finances , would think we’re on a par with St Johnstone and what they’ve achieved on a similar budget should be the template . Supporters have only questioned Archibald recently for the dreadful run of results that we’re in the midst of just now quite rightly and he’s only had a period of grace due to his playing career and his previous track record as a manager over the last 3/4 years.

You’re probably right just now with 6 games to go what would be gained in changing the manager but after the season ends wherever we end up surely we need to look at how we progress ?

10 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

We are a club with no ambition. After we achieved the Top-6 last year, we should have really pressed on.

Pressed on where exactly? We are the 2nd or 3rd lowest supported team in the league with probably a budget to match. We can’t compete with wages paid by the likes of Kille and Motherwell, probably even St J and Ross. If we can’t entice players financially what are we supposed to do? We can’t force players to play for us.  

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

In terms of finances , would think we’re on a par with St Johnstone and what they’ve achieved on a similar budget should be the template .

Supporters have only questioned Archibald recently for the dreadful run of results that we’re in the midst of just now quite rightly and he’s only had a period of grace due to his playing career and his previous track record as a manager over the last 3/4 years.

A quick Google search would suggest that's nowhere near an accurate assumption.

There are supporters on here who have questioned, criticised and wanted the manager sacked since we got promoted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, potty trained said:

A quick Google search would suggest that's nowhere near an accurate assumption.

There are supporters on here who have questioned, criticised and wanted the manager sacked since we got promoted. 

We’re actually according to “ Google “ paying the 7 th  highest average wage in the SPFL , should we be expecting  better ?

St Johnstone is a good template for us , similar crowds etc , seem to be an established club in the SPFL , wouldn’t like to watch them every week though 

38 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

We’re actually according to “ Google “ paying the 7 th  highest average wage in the SPFL , should we be expecting  better ?

St Johnstone is a good template for us , similar crowds etc , seem to be an established club in the SPFL , wouldn’t like to watch them every week though 

Right now I would prefer to watch St Johnstone than Thistle every week. Scottish Cup winners a couple of years ago, European matches 1990-2000, 2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2017-2018.

Thistle: zilch.

Edited by Jaggernaut

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Right now I would prefer to watch St Johnstone than Thistle every week. Scottish Cup winners a couple of years ago, European matches 1990-2000, 2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2017-2018.

Thistle: zilch.

Most of those when either Rangers, Hearts or Hibs or all 3 were not in the top league. The season, those 3 are back in, St J don’t make the top 6.

Is anybody going to suggest what high league position Thistle should be challenging for consistently and give a logical reason why ?

9 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Most of those when either Rangers, Hearts or Hibs or all 3 were not in the top league. The season, those 3 are back in, St J don’t make the top 6.

Is anybody going to suggest what high league position Thistle should be challenging for consistently and give a logical reason why ?

We should be aiming/hoping for 10th place every season; anything higher that that is a bonus.  

Is that right?

8 hours ago, potty trained said:

To add to that over the years I wouldn't be surprised to discover that virtually the only threads started by one or two posters have been directly after (often immediately after) poor results. Same one or two posters nowhere in sight, and certainly not starting threads, when we've played well and got a good result. It's totally understandable that there'll be considerably more traffic thru here when we're playing crap and not getting results. That's to be expected. Just not so certain about why some posters like to ignore the positives.

btw that's just me surmising. I doubt I could back up what after all is only an assumption on my part.  If true it's simply an observation and not a criticism. We're all Jags supporters and whatever way you support the team/club shouln't be a concern. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Well, I just suggested 10th position, and you said that's not what you asked for.

So why don't you tell us (what you think is) the right answer?

Is that where you think we should be aiming ?

Eljaggo suggested a high league position - 10th isn’t that . What is a high league position we should be challenging for ?

My view is that,at points,the highest we can challenge for is 5th or 6th. But there are probably 10 or 12 other Scottish teams that have the same thoughts

I always feel we should be aiming for 10th and if we get better then great,i think that this is the same with a few teams in our league.When I said this in a thread earlier in the season I was told that you have to be more ambitious than that and we would be challenging for top 6.I was also told that we were much better than Kilmarnock,Ross County,Hamilton and Motherwell.

13 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Make a positive case for keeping the manager .....it’s simple if hes doing a great job just tell us .... 

Who mentioned a great job You should know he is the manager that got us promoted. You should also know he is the manager that has successfully kept us in the division for 4 years, he also helped us to finish in our highest position for over 50 years . Probably you don't though you are only interested intrying to relegate us and the past four years are of no interest to you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1