Winter window

That 1 jags fan

24 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Hopefully not, what happened to Caldwell’s extensive contacts down South?

I was under the impression that he had said we were targeting players with experience in the Scottish leagues? To be honest our recruitment from down south has been in my opinion very poor the last few years, would prefer players with experience in the Scottish leagues 

jim McIntyre confirmed we have put in an offer for Darren o dea on the sky sports page but does not say if it was accepted, refused or what

7 minutes ago, sandy said:

I’m not sure signing players in their 30’s is the best investment for our ‘promotion challenge’.

Will be very interesting to compare our progress back in 2013 when we achieved that goal with a young squad.

To be fair we're in a different situation. A young team to challenge probably takes more time to build than a desperately cobbled together collection of full-time journeymen whose main objective is to finish above a part-time team and rescue your club from oblivion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, sandy said:

Maybe. But I’d rather we played Penrice, McCarthy, Firtzpatrick & Wilson and grew our challenge (for next season) based on them. 

To get us out of a relegation battle we need experience. Penrice has played every minute of the season under both managers. Fitzpatrick and McCarthy have been playing under both managers. A relegation battle might be too soon for Wilson though he is clearly rated with a contract extension 

5 minutes ago, sandy said:

But Caldwell was hired to deliver a promotion challenge, not a relegation fight. He had player dossiers, he had slides.

I wonder if his stunning presentation featured the phrase ‘we need journeymen’...,

Sandy, I reckon you need to stop talking about promotion challenges and Javeajag has to stop taliking about Alan Archibald;  because they both have very little relevance to where we go from here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, allyo said:

Sandy, I reckon you need to stop talking about promotion challenges and Javeajag has to stop taliking about Alan Archibald;  because they both have very little relevance to where we go from here.

Happy to. But I’m just repeating what comes out of Firhill.

2 minutes ago, allyo said:

Archie is relevant to how we got here and Gary is relevant to how we get out of here but there is a dialectical connection between the two

1 minute ago, sandy said:

But it shouldn’t, Caldwell had analysed our playing squad and was happy to have promotion as his objective.

Hmmmm. I think I may have addressed this point before. Can just imagine the reaction if Caldwell stated to the board/fans..".actually we are in a period of rebuild and will be for at least 12 to 18 months, so strap in. Oh and incidentally we have to chance of the playoffs this season" No need for PowerPoint either. Forum would have LOVED that statement.

1 minute ago, sandy said:

At least his revised world-view would have been honest... 

Honest. In football. At a job interview. Yeah that happens. Out of curiosity what should he have said to a. Get the job. B. Get the players believing. C. Assuage the fans. ? " gizza job won't fly "

59 minutes ago, allyo said:

To be fair we're in a different situation. A young team to challenge probably takes more time to build than a desperately cobbled together collection of full-time journeymen whose main objective is to finish above a part-time team and rescue your club from oblivion. 

It's also worth remembering that in 2012, we had quite a deep bit of experience on the fringes of the squad and behind the scenes.

McNamara hadn't that long hung up his boots and (from what I can recall) occasionally took part in reserve matches. Donnelly was technically still on the playing staff. Rowson was still on the books albeit a more marginal figure. Steven Craig was in his 30s. Archibald was still very much in the squad. Hugh Murray had been signed as Captain.

What you had there was a core of mentors and leaders who had played for a big bit of their career "a level above Thistle", supplemented by some maturing pros (Doolan and Erskine being the obvious examples, Paton being in the same bracket but less mature...) and a smorgasbord of guys in their very early 20s with fire in their belly.

Compare that with what we have now, and I think it's pretty clear why we're in a mess. We basically had a skeleton of captain-like figures for a scaffolding of a club. The "kids" we won it with did what they did because they had a lot of level heads and mentors there to channel their talent and enthusiasm.

• Like 1

i think now is the time to cut out all the bullshit

we are bottom of this division, we will have eleven guys out on the pitch tomorrow wearing the red and yellow

no more bullshit, no more pr, its down to the manager and players to get us out of this situation

i have seen every team in this division, apart from ross county, none of these teams imo is that good

the only way is up 

we are going to hump this lot tomorrow :thumbsup2:

• Like 4

Dear Javajag,

" Thesis-Antithesis....synthesis  " is pretty much dialectical materialism. " Dialectical connection", from, say our providers to our strikers, which has been somewhat missing this season?

If, my friend, you can translate dialectical connection onto a team that ought to be doing better, well, most fans would be with you.

I know I would.