Role of Supporters Trust in any Takeover

Jordanhill Jag

There  has been various discussions on where the Supporters & Jags Trust would sit on any Takeover 

The Jags Trust are independent from the Club albeit moribund   

The Supporters Trust are equally ineffective- due to how its been set up - in simple terms its not really a Supporters Organisation 

It has Two Club Directors - the Club CEO and a Club Appointee - Two elected  Reps 

So in issues like the SFA looking for feedback from the Fans on any takeover  - who speaks for them ? 

It cant be the Trust - very simply the Directors  are legally bound to represent there Shareholders ( and 55% want to sell ) - if the Trust lobby against it - Shareholders could take the Directors to task  

Club CEO is unlikely to go against the  Directors-  along with Club Appointee  

Whatismore - without a proper Trust Set up-  there is no way to gauge the views of the Fans - which probs is split into For - Against - Dont Care -  in equal Proportions - so bottom line is the Trust can not really play a role in any SFA review - as the current set up hems it in-  due to the requirement to serve Shareholders as opposed to Fans 

It has been suggested that  the make up is changed  swinging the balance to - One Director and all others elected - that can be done very easily - key to this is the fact that the Fans between the Two Trust would own 25% - this is the backstop as it prevents complete takeover by any buyer 

If the Board as they state are  there to protect the Club - recent events have proven that this has to happen as a matter of urgency 

The current set means that the Directors have to serve the Shareholders - so who serves the Fans ? 

16 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

There  has been various discussions on where the Supporters & Jags Trust would sit on any Takeover 

The Jags Trust are independent from the Club albeit moribund   

The Supporters Trust are equally ineffective- due to how its been set up - in simple terms its not really a Supporters Organisation 

It has Two Club Directors - the Club CEO and a Club Appointee - Two elected  Reps 

So in issues like the SFA looking for feedback from the Fans on any takeover  - who speaks for them ? 

It cant be the Trust - very simply the Directors  are legally bound to represent there Shareholders ( and 55% want to sell ) - if the Trust lobby against it - Shareholders could take the Directors to task  

Club CEO is unlikely to go against the  Directors-  along with Club Appointee  

Whatismore - without a proper Trust Set up-  there is no way to gauge the views of the Fans - which probs is split into For - Against - Dont Care -  in equal Proportions - so bottom line is the Trust can not really play a role in any SFA review - as the current set up hems it in-  due to the requirement to serve Shareholders as opposed to Fans 

It has been suggested that  the make up is changed  swinging the balance to - One Director and all others elected - that can be done very easily - key to this is the fact that the Fans between the Two Trust would own 25% - this is the backstop as it prevents complete takeover by any buyer 

If the Board as they state are  there to protect the Club - recent events have proven that this has to happen as a matter of urgency 

The current set means that the Directors have to serve the Shareholders - so who serves the Fans ? 

I would be interested in hearing what the consortium have to say - so far their silence is deafening and I’m getting the impression some are so desperate to get this board out that they don’t care how good or bad the current board are - and for me that’s worrying.

whatever happens it’s important the consortium don’t get 75 per cent ie the power to close the club

14 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I would be interested in hearing what the consortium have to say - so far their silence is deafening and I’m getting the impression some are so desperate to get this board out that they don’t care how good or bad the current board are - and for me that’s worrying.

whatever happens it’s important the consortium don’t get 75 per cent ie the power to close the club

Their silence isn’t “deafening”. It’s entirely befitting of how a possible takeover should proceed. If they were bumping their gums about their plans for the club whilst engaged in private discussions with shareholders then it’s then we should worry.  If you’d like them to do a double page spread in the Record outlining their transfer targets then great, but I don’t. 

And where are you getting this stuff about “closing” the club? You’ve repeated it a few times now, despite there being absolutely zero evidence that anybody (including this consortium, given their track record of not “closing” clubs) wants to do that. 

11 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Their silence isn’t “deafening”. It’s entirely befitting of how a possible takeover should proceed. If they were bumping their gums about their plans for the club whilst engaged in private discussions with shareholders then it’s then we should worry.  If you’d like them to do a double page spread in the Record outlining their transfer targets then great, but I don’t. 

And where are you getting this stuff about “closing” the club? You’ve repeated it a few times now, despite there being absolutely zero evidence that anybody (including this consortium, given their track record of not “closing” clubs) wants to do that. 

If the Trust is changed to being an organisation that is controlled by the Fans - then any owner cant get to 75% - this can be done quickly & easily by the Current Board 

Therefore the Safeguard on any takeover is in the hands of the current Board - its up to them if the decide to put that safeguard in place       

No point in asking what a potential owner might do - the shares were gifted to the Fans - ensuring they are controlled by the Fans is a Game Changer 

As both eljaggo and I have said in the other thread, this is key, and I think he was writing to club, and I have too.

The thing is, we only know of the details of the Trust in the past 72 hours, and this housekeeping would be good to be done whether or not we were in midst of takeover. It is also aligning the trust to where we all expected it to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Well I am sorry for daring to have concerns about a consortium taking over a club with whom I know little about and who most likely had heard nothing about PTFC unto recently.  Maybe you should take a leaf out of Jim Alexander last book he might well be in favour of the takeover but at least he doesn’t have a go at people with concerns. 

where am I getting stuff about them closing the club, are you for real it’s happened with umpteen clubs been driven into debt in the UK alone.  I’m not saying this consortium intend or would ever dream of doing it to a club, but it’s not impossible it could happen

9 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Well I am sorry for daring to have concerns about a consortium taking over a club with whom I know little about and who most likely had heard nothing about PTFC unto recently.  Maybe you should take a leaf out of Jim Alexander last book he might well be in favour of the takeover but at least he doesn’t have a go at people with concerns. 

where am I getting stuff about them closing the club, are you for real it’s happened with umpteen clubs been driven into debt in the UK alone.  I’m not saying this consortium intend or would ever dream of doing it to a club, but it’s not impossible it could happen

Matt - and its nearly happened with people we knew at the helm on a number of occassions !!

48 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I’m not having a go at people having concerns. I have concerns too! I’m saying that them staying quiet for now shouldn’t be one of them, and I also don’t think that then simply closing down the club should be either - based on their track record. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu

16 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I’m not having a go at people having concerns. I have concerns too! I’m saying that then staying quiet for now shouldn’t be one of them, and I also don’t think that then simply closing down the club should be either - based on their track record. 

That’s fair enough, apologies for overeating 

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I don’t expect  them to say anything till the deal is done which is neither sinister or unusual ... the post is your imagination at work 

37 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Do you buy a house and then knock it down ?!!! Really ?

i think these guys have better things to do

as I’ve repeated before this is about football 

35 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Do you buy a house and then knock it down ?!!! Really ?

i think these guys have better things to do

as I’ve repeated before this is about football 

Javeajag, don’t be so naive , it’s about money with the football as a by product.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Ok ....explain how they will make money out of us ?

Perhaps do the Rosenborg model.

They realized in 1989 that the Champions league was coming in and making group stages meant a minimum of £10 million in income. Average Norwegian spend on transfers and wages etc was £1 million then, they speculated to get funding based on that income and spent £5 million to walk the league, and they did. Spent half the profit next few seasons and made the Champions league each year again making massive profit.

How much would it take a decent manager to break the OF monopoly and quality for Champions League?  Obviously it’s way more difficult now as you don’t automatically go into the group stages where the cash is, but making Europa League gets you £2.9 million plus £570k per win or £100k per point, plus advertising and sponsorship. How much would that cost to achieve and get a return on investment plus put good young players in the shop window 

16 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Perhaps do the Rosenborg model.

They realized in 1989 that the Champions league was coming in and making group stages meant a minimum of £10 million in income. Average Norwegian spend on transfers and wages etc was £1 million then, they speculated to get funding based on that income and spent £5 million to walk the league, and they did. Spent half the profit next few seasons and made the Champions league each year again making massive profit.

How much would it take a decent manager to break the OF monopoly and quality for Champions League?  Obviously it’s way more difficult now as you don’t automatically go into the group stages where the cash is, but making Europa League gets you £2.9 million plus £570k per win or £100k per point, plus advertising and sponsorship. How much would that cost to achieve and get a return on investment plus put good young players in the shop window 

You just can’t see that happening in the Scottish ...,Rangers revenue is around £30m and they need more to overtake Celtic so no one is going to invest that amount in us 

there just isn’t a way for owners to buy into us and make loads of money 

9 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

I mean this is literally what developers do when they want to build flats.

These are not developers , there is no planning for housing in firhill, the costs of knocking down the stadium are high and there are problems with the ground and the canal ....

no one has explained why they would bother with a crappy property development in maryhill of all places 

35 minutes ago, javeajag said:

You just can’t see that happening in the Scottish ...,Rangers revenue is around £30m and they need more to overtake Celtic so no one is going to invest that amount in us 

there just isn’t a way for owners to buy into us and make loads of money 

The issue is they’re chasing a champions league group spot, plus being Rangers (or Celtic) players automatically ask for way more money.

How much would it cost to get 3rd and a UEFA league place?