Jags V Hamilton 20/07/19

Paukea

52 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Ran out of likes.

Penrice is already a great player and has so much potential. My opinion of him, for me anyway, underlines my confusion over my understanding of what is important for managers/coaches, cos he is head and shoulders above Fitzpatrick and yet the reverence for the latter is above young James. I guess I'm only able to judge on game time and a purchasing manager will have more to go on  but I would take penrice every time.

Got to disagree slightly, always takes the safe option , sometimes you’ve got to test your own ability and make things happen,  in Penrice’s defence maybe that’s how he’s getting told to play .

Btw for anyone who couldn't make it, the usual farce with turnstiles but worse as the gate near the Accies main stand wasn't opened.     Looking like we'd miss about the first 15-20 mins and maybe they got hacked off with the complaints to stewards but for whatever reason they let us in without paying so they lost a bit of income, numpties.  Pretty sure the Thistle support was announced as 1,000.    

27 minutes ago, macaroon said:

Btw for anyone who couldn't make it, the usual farce with turnstiles but worse as the gate near the Accies main stand wasn't opened.     Looking like we'd miss about the first 15-20 mins and maybe they got hacked off with the complaints to stewards but for whatever reason they let us in without paying so they lost a bit of income, numpties.  Pretty sure the Thistle support was announced as 1,000.    

We got there at 2pm after experiencing all of that the last time. Pain in the proverbial getting there that early but we managed to get in without any hassle. I can't believe they didn't realise we were going to outnumber the pathetic home support.

Edited by westertonjagfan

Unbeaten (effectively) in 3 games, one against SPL opposition: well done Mr. Caldwell (who knows he needs curb the appalling the tendency to sh1te the bed once we've scored).

Unbelievably good start to the season, 3 up front against SPL opposition - let's score a barrowload on Wednesday!

The turnstile fiasco has being going on for too long. Most of us now anticipate the nonsense queues and turn up earlier. Result being the queue starts earlier. I'm no doubt missing out on a couple of clubs but off the top of my head I can only think of Pittodrie and Cappielow where away fans are treated with such indifference.

Btw I don't think you need to be a mathematical genius to work out that 3 turnstiles each processing circa 350 transactions is going to be problematic.

41 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

The turnstile fiasco has being going on for too long. Most of us now anticipate the nonsense queues and turn up earlier. Result being the queue starts earlier. I'm no doubt missing out on a couple of clubs but off the top of my head I can only think of Pittodrie and Cappielow where away fans are treated with such indifference.

Btw I don't think you need to be a mathematical genius to work out that 3 turnstiles each processing circa 350 transactions is going to be problematic.

I think I would add Dundee, where the stewarding goes beyond the indifferent to the hostile.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Firhillista said:

Okay, here goes.

Fox - okay, nothing special, think Sneddon is the better keeper.

Williamson - good going forward, took his goal really well, suspect defensively, looks like he's lacking confidence.

O'Ware - will be a standout this season, comfortable on the ball and a goal threat at corners.

McGinty - my current favourite player, along the lines of magnificent and appalling in equal measure.

Penrice - whatever the formation, don't think he should be out of the team, class act (and pleased to see he seems to have been working on his heading).

Cardle - always a threat, hope we can keep him fit.

Palmer - at his best, think Billy Bremner, at other times think youth player among the grown-ups.

Bannigan - usual excellence, although not back to his best (will he ever be?)

Robson - some flashes of excellent play, anonymous at other times.

Gordon - you don't know he's on the park and then he's in the box scoring a goal. He could get us double figures this season.

Miller - promising more than he's delivering at the moment, but he's going to make a significant contribution over the piece.

Mansell - this boy can play, his assists alone  impress, but he needs to add goals to his game.

Da Vita - not on long enough to make a judgement. Crap at penalties, though.

Jones - only seen about ten minutes of him over two games, but he didn't set the heather on fire.

Overall, a good, if patchy, performance. Probably enough evidence to suggest we'll compete at the top of the league, but not enough to suggest we can win it.

A good summary. Apologies to my fellow Jags fans, as I think I jinxed Sean McGinty by praising him in my halftime post. He then felt he had to balance matters up by being rubbish in the second half!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Got to disagree slightly, always takes the safe option , sometimes you’ve got to test your own ability and make things happen,  in Penrice’s defence maybe that’s how he’s getting told to play .

Good point well made, would love to see him take on his man. Just from what we got to see of fitzy, I'd have signed penrice first. But that's why I'm not a manager

7 hours ago, Firhillista said:

Okay, here goes.

Fox - okay, nothing special, think Sneddon is the better keeper.

Williamson - good going forward, took his goal really well, suspect defensively, looks like he's lacking confidence.

O'Ware - will be a standout this season, comfortable on the ball and a goal threat at corners.

McGinty - my current favourite player, along the lines of magnificent and appalling in equal measure.

Penrice - whatever the formation, don't think he should be out of the team, class act (and pleased to see he seems to have been working on his heading).

Cardle - always a threat, hope we can keep him fit.

Palmer - at his best, think Billy Bremner, at other times think youth player among the grown-ups.

Bannigan - usual excellence, although not back to his best (will he ever be?)

Robson - some flashes of excellent play, anonymous at other times.

Gordon - you don't know he's on the park and then he's in the box scoring a goal. He could get us double figures this season.

Miller - promising more than he's delivering at the moment, but he's going to make a significant contribution over the piece.

Mansell - this boy can play, his assists alone  impress, but he needs to add goals to his game.

Da Vita - not on long enough to make a judgement. Crap at penalties, though.

Jones - only seen about ten minutes of him over two games, but he didn't set the heather on fire.

Overall, a good, if patchy, performance. Probably enough evidence to suggest we'll compete at the top of the league, but not enough to suggest we can win it.

Brilliant, cheers. Hoping Jones is a big player this year once fit.

Thought that was the best we’ve played so far this season. You can certainly see Caldwell’s game plan of building from the back in action although it does give rise to the odd risky moment.

Ad an aside my 5 yr old has been let in free of charge for both away ties but have to pay for him at Firhill. Not sure if that’s Queen’s Park and Hamilton behind that or the generosity of the turnstile guys.

8 hours ago, westertonjagfan said:

We got there at 2pm after experiencing all of that the last time. Pain in the proverbial getting there that early but we managed to get in without any hassle. I can't believe they didn't realise we were going to outnumber the pathetic home support.

Ooft, Thistle fans judging other clubs crowd numbers. Glass houses and all that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bristol City Jag said:

Thought that was the best we’ve played so far this season. You can certainly see Caldwell’s game plan of building from the back in action although it does give rise to the odd risky moment.

Ad an aside my 5 yr old has been let in free of charge for both away ties but have to pay for him at Firhill. Not sure if that’s Queen’s Park and Hamilton behind that or the generosity of the turnstile guys.

It’s definitely generosity of the turnstile guys. Had to pay in both my 5 and 6 year olds. 

It’s not a defeat by any means in my opinion, the league cup group stage is an anomaly to any other normal game of football where you get a point for it finishing a draw and then an extra for a shootout win. In any other game you’d either get the draw or would go onto lose/win in extra time and or penalties and be put out due to it being a knockout platform. 

9 hours ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

It’s not a defeat by any means in my opinion, the league cup group stage is an anomaly to any other normal game of football where you get a point for it finishing a draw and then an extra for a shootout win. In any other game you’d either get the draw or would go onto lose/win in extra time and or penalties and be put out due to it being a knockout platform. 

Totally agree. In fact a draw, regardless of the  penalty outcome, was good result as it left us only having to beat Clyde at home: even if we had won the penalty shoot-out, it would still have left us having to beat Clyde to be absolutely sure of being safe (because of goal difference).

Which was good because it meant the miss by De Vita (whom I felt really sorry for for missing a penalty on his debut) was almost irrelevant - normally a miss like that and you're out - so hopefully wont affect his confidence too much.

58 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Anyone know how many penalties* Fox has faced as a Jags player including shoot outs? There'll be a few missed target ones (like the one on Saturday) but I wager not many saved penalties.

*Don't include the ones he faced against supporters at a half time entertainment thingy, which he also didn't save.:)

I think he has saved only one for us. I am going totally on memory here, so may be totally wrong, but I think it was a cup win at Firhill against lower league opposition and would not have had much bearing on the final result even if scored. It was a very weak shot hit straight to him and even I could probably have saved it.:happy2:

Just out curiosity, can anyone tell me how Foxy approached the penalties on Saturday.

Did he try any guess which way it was  going or stand his ground 'til the ball was struck? 

As a keeper in my younger days I always favoured the latter and had a really good success rate. I always thought it better to put the onus on the taker to place it and execute it well or I was having it.  Fox's penalty record is abysmal and I never feel we're gonna come out on top in a shoot out.

16 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Ignoring penalty shoot outs...

Fox has faced 23 penalties.   6 missed the target, 14 were converted and the remaining 3 were saved.  (One of his 3 saves was scored on the rebound by the taker.)

Thank afk and others. Factor in Saturday's no saves out of six scored and the sole save in the other shoot out and a it's grim record. The six missing target make it not so bad from our point of view.