Buzzing for Clyde game

Bobbyhouston

We deserved to win despite the ridiculous defending for first goal - for experienced players fox Saunders and Mcginty should have done far better and complete farce of an own goal from Bannigan was beyond belief - although I’m not 100 per cent convinced the ball went over the line particularly surprised it was given when millers which looked more over the line than the own goal was not given 

have to say I really think we should have got the fourth goal as it looked over the line and what a difference miller made.

very disappointed in jones when he came on - didn’t look unfit but looked lazy and uninterested- should have put their defence under far more pressure.  Do not think he is the answer at all.

won our group which was important thing - particularly when teams like Dundee United, St Mirren and St Johnstone are out already and we finished above the spl team 

Edited by Third Lanark

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Our wide play from Cardle, Williamson and Robson is more productive than in past seasons, but apart from Gordon we lack finishers.

Agree with this. Gifted clyde 2 goals. Thought we missed palmer in the second half tbh.  

The group stage of this competition has been strange for us over the four seasons it has run. We have never looked brilliant, one drubbing of St Mirren aside, and have consistently laboured against lower league teams. However, our record must be the best of any team - P16, W13, D2, L1 and qualified all four times, three times as group winners 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I look at this as pre season and that’s rarely a great pointer to the season ahead .....we top the group , are unbeaten and go into the last 16 so lots of positives .....but it also showed some things to correct.....poor defending, lacks of concentration and goal scoring .....we still have to bring 3 players they may be very important 

Thought we played some good stuff. Should have won the game by a country mile. Really need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot.  Cardle, Williamson and Palmer before his knock all played well. Makes such a difference to have a player like Gordon who bursts a gut to get into the box. 

Truly gifted them their two goals. Terrible marking for first. Not sure what Bannigan was thinking passing back towards the goal but still think Fox should not have let it over the line. It was definitely over, although as someone has already said, nowhere near as much as Miller's header. Another ghost goal at Firhill. 

Thoughts.

• Fox- unsure at times. Maybe struggles with concentration?
  • Robson- decent but prefer Penrice
  • Williamson- promising - plenty of energy, willing to get forward and looks like he can deliver a final ball. 
  • Saunders- steady / unspectacular.
  • McGinty- can ping some great long balls and deceptively good on the ball. Always waiting for a blunder though.Looks better than last season.
  • Banzo - best game so far this season except for og. Looks fitter and vision/ passing never in doubt.
  • Palmer: Decent game, puts himself about and lots of effort.
  • Gordon- played well seems to be our best finisher.
  • De Vita- some decent touches but too easily disposessed. Does not burst a gut. 
  • Cardle- Undoubted ability, can take players on and deliver a good pass. Far too greedy- looking for that wonder goal.
  • Mansell- Not convinced. Does not use his physique well enough for me. Decent hold up play but worry about his ability to finish and bravery in the box.
  • Miller - moaning wee shit but knows what he is doing and can finish.
  • Jones- Did'nt do enough- probably needs more game time.
  •   Wilson- too short a time but  showed willingness to get on ball and energy .

Overall , as usual with Thistle, some promise but also a few concerns.

21 minutes ago, Emsca said:

Thoughts.

• Fox- unsure at times. Maybe struggles with concentration?
  • Robson- decent but prefer Penrice
  • Williamson- promising - plenty of energy, willing to get forward and looks like he can deliver a final ball. 
  • Saunders- steady / unspectacular.
  • McGinty- can ping some great long balls and deceptively good on the ball. Always waiting for a blunder though.Looks better than last season.
  • Banzo - best game so far this season except for og. Looks fitter and vision/ passing never in doubt.
  • Palmer: Decent game, puts himself about and lots of effort.
  • Gordon- played well seems to be our best finisher.
  • De Vita- some decent touches but too easily disposessed. Does not burst a gut. 
  • Cardle- Undoubted ability, can take players on and deliver a good pass. Far too greedy- looking for that wonder goal.
  • Mansell- Not convinced. Does not use his physique well enough for me. Decent hold up play but worry about his ability to finish and bravery in the box.
  • Miller - moaning wee shit but knows what he is doing and can finish.
  • Jones- Did'nt do enough- probably needs more game time.
  •   Wilson- too short a time but  showed willingness to get on ball and energy .

Overall , as usual with Thistle, some promise but also a few concerns.

Almost agree 100% but I thought Robson may well be better than pen rice. Tbh my first game of season so difficult to judge. No matter what we have two decent left wing backs.

I think fox was ok to be fair neither goal where his fault although I was behind goal so unsure if he could maybe have done more to get it or not, would prefer sneddon in goals but could happily live with either. Thought robson And Williamson where immense and will be be immense going forward in laying on loads of assists from crosses this season but think we need more cover at rb with a more defensive player, penrice of course gives that in the left. Think Mansell is actually good asset but again more more for laying in goals than scoring them. Wasn’t impressed with jones think we are still to find our goal scorer for the season. Think Gordon and miller will both score 10 minimum easy for us and will be big players. More so Gordon, although often quiet his late runs and ability to know where to be at the back post and finishing is something that will be super important for us. The rest where ok. Feel for Palmer as I thought he had been our best player in the first half.

I really feel now we are getting more width in the squad that playing 3-5-2 is counter productive. Problem is we don't have defensive quality in the full back area. Williamson & Robson are impressive going forward and both appear to be able to put in very decent quick cross balls. Neither can defend. Penrice is less of a liability as an orthodox full back but still more suited to getting down the flanks. Ideally Saunders could just move across to right back but by most accounts he's not too clever in that role. Perhaps a remedy would be two holding midfielders covering wider than normal but that's verging on the negative side of things, tho' not much different than playing three centrebacks who rarely cross the halfway line. 

Any views on that? I think we saw some real decent football at times tonight mostly going forward but even against lower league opponents the signs of frailty in defence were clearly evident. 

Miller's second goal was over the line, no doubt in my mind about that. We should have won more easily. Need to sort out our defence, or we will probably need to score at least 2 goals in a game to get anything from league games. On the positive side we won the group and in the last 16.

2 minutes ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

Was millers goal really in then? Seems sure by what people are saying on here. Hard to tell from behind goal at the back.

I was in my usual position behind the goal at the right hand side. The side the keeper saved it at . I would say without a doubt it was over the line, before the keeper pushed it back out. Never mind just like Doolan's ghost goal last season we still won.

1 minute ago, Auld Jag said:

I was in my usual position behind the goal at the right hand side. The side the keeper saved it at . I would say without a doubt it was over the line, before the keeper pushed it back out. Never mind just like Doolan's ghost goal last season we still won.

I actually thought it was a brilliant save at the time. Of course it’s irrelevant anyway was just curious though. Good thing both our ghost goals weren’t important to the score lines.:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Miller's second goal was over the line, no doubt in my mind about that. We should have won more easily. Need to sort out our defence, or we will probably need to score at least 2 goals in a game to get anything from league games. On the positive side we won the group and in the last 16.

Remember TOW was not playing and he makes a massive difference- brings some stability and organisation.

9 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Re above two comments about De Vita. Firstly I doubt he's match fit. Secondly I thought despite the fitness question he did well in the second half. Playing a deep central midfield role can't exactly be second nature to a player who prefers to play wide or just behind the striker.

Don't know much about him- I am only going by what I saw on the pitch. If that is not his position, I would question why we  played him there? Appreciate he came in as a late sub  due to Penrice late call off but surely we have a natural centre  mid who could have stepped in. It was only Clyde after all.!.

Tam O'Ware was missed last night, I think when he plays,  McGinty plays better. If we can get a defensive set up based on playing:- Sneddon - Penrice - Williamson - TOW - McGinty - Saunders and keep that formation playing together until they can anticipate each others play, then GC will get his 'hard to beat' team.

Shea Gordon, Cammy Palmer and Stuart Bannigan are all playing well enough to guarantee a starting place, Joe Cardle was excellent for much of the match, but as others have noted, he is greedy with the ball and does not pace himself for a 90 minute game [he was blowing hard by 70 / 75 minutes]. Mansell played well enough, but needs to find a faster acceleration / pace over 5 meters to get himself away from defenders cleanly.

It would have been nice to have seen Callum Wilson for longer and Evan Galasso make an appearance, but that stupid pass back made the last 15 minutes nervy when they should have been a stroll.

Overall, we occasionally looked excellent, most of the time we looked comfortable and competent, but unfortunately had phases of play where we just switched off completely.

The match itself suffered from having a lazy referee,  more than once he managed to get himself stuck in the middle of the areas of play … frustrating for us fans, but more so for the players.

So we are not playing as good as we can, but we still topped the league cup group stage, we should take some positives from that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emsca said:

Don't know much about him- I am only going by what I saw on the pitch. If that is not his position, I would question why we  played him there? Appreciate he came in as a late sub  due to Penrice late call off but surely we have a natural centre  mid who could have stepped in. It was only Clyde after all.!.

Mind we're only talking about the 2nd half when Palmer was withdrawn. Caldwell could've brought on Wilson or even Sena (who's played midfield for the reserves on occasion). The introduction of Miller got us a goal (maybe Miller should've had a 2nd as well). Possibly the manager was keen to give De Vita more match time as he's clearly not up to speed. It also gives him more minutes getting to gel with the rest of team. Perhaps he should've been subbed a bit earlier to give Wilson a longer run out but that to me is nitpicking.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

12 hours ago, Stephen1876 said:

The group stage of this competition has been strange for us over the four seasons it has run. We have never looked brilliant, one drubbing of St Mirren aside, and have consistently laboured against lower league teams. However, our record must be the best of any team - P16, W13, D2, L1 and qualified all four times, three times as group winners 

Motherwell are currently sitting on P15 W13 D1 L1, with their final game on Saturday.

Ayr are on P15 W13 D0 L2, with their final game also this weekend.

If both win, we will be 3rd overall in the group stage format since its inception. If Ayr fail to win and we will be 2nd. If Well lose then we would be top overall, and if they draw it would be a tie between the pair of us (and I haven't looked at GD). Bear in mind Motherwell are playing Annan in the last game, so highly likely they will win!

Edited by Roque

11 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Re above two comments about De Vita. Firstly I doubt he's match fit. Secondly I thought despite the fitness question he did well in the second half. Playing a deep central midfield role can't exactly be second nature to a player who prefers to play wide or just behind the striker.

I've been surprised to read some negative comments about da vita, I thought he was very effective in his role, deffo pass mark's, far too early to start judging individual players imho . Great performance all round for most of the game and I'm so impressed with the level of fitness/stamina. Especially compared to last few seasons. Future is looking good and if we continue to improve and progress as most teams do as the season progresses we'll be up challenging at the top end of the table.