McCall Sacked

elevenone

6 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Part of the problem here is that the current board have managed by some incredible work turned out to be actually worse than the previous board. That is quite the achievement.

there has been no attempt to communicate or engage with fans , there has been literally zero communication on anything until we sacked the manager in the most bizarre way yesterday 

dead people communicate better than this lot.

Couldn’t really argue with your assessment Sandy, at all. I think that most people expected the new board to behave rationally and certainly not like a ‘drunken sailor’. This appears to me capricious behaviour at best and puerile at worst. For me the time to change our management triumvirate would have been last weekend and yesterdays game would have taken care of itself. It’s never a happy situation when anyone loses their job and to lose it in the bizarre manner they did yesterday only magnifies the strangeness of the timing.

9 minutes ago, sandy said:

To be fair to the current (interim) Club Board, I expect most of their time has been taken-up getting to grips with the finances and the shape of fan ownership.

They have probably assumed the PTFC Trust and TJF are communicating to the fans. 

But going forward, I agree that communication from the Club Board is one area for immediate improvement. It should be a ‘quick win’. 

Can’t really accept these excuses…..to get to grips with the finances  of a company with a turnover of £2.5m is an afternoons work ( at least half of it is players wages for example )

the ptfc trust actually own and run the club so I’m sure their board members at the club would know if they are communicating. 2 of them are on both. Their positioning communication is consistent …..they don’t.

the wat yesterday was handled is a worrying sign.

The most interesting aspect from this seems that some fans feel like they should have had a say. 

Unfortunately we have still have some way to go to restoring trust and due process at the club and the timing of the statement was not ideal.

With regards to statements not being signed off by Individuals or names; I believe we are stuck between a rock and a hard place - if the individuals put their names down they will be attacked over social media and other sources whereas when they don't its presumed those individuals are responsible anyway.

This isn't in any way helpful and we need to take a step back and just learn from this going forward.

If McCall has been sacked after losing 6 in a row in October/November I doubt too many would have concerns. It would have been pretty obvious why he had been sacked and wouldn't have required much of a statement.

However since then results have been better so it needs a clearer statement otherwise we all guess at what's going on and start to piece together events to establish our own sense.

The bit I've struggled with for a few weeks is the lack of progress on contract extensions. Whilst we can look at individual cases and say we should be able to find better replacements its hard to look at the collective of Sneddon, Muirhead, Brownlie, McAvoy, Hodson, Docherty, Bannigan, Smith, Mullin, Turner and McKinnon leaving in the summer and think we can do find better for all of those. Right now we only have Mitchell, McMillan, Milne, Lawless, Fitzpatrick and Dowds signed for next season.

So why haven't some of them been offered or signed a new contract?

Whilst some of them may reject a contract based on the lure of a better offer its difficult to understand why no-one has been extended unless finances are truly terrible for next season, the players knew the manager wasn't going to be here next season, we are going to move to a new model of signing under 25's as per Barnsley, making more use of loans or god forbid outsourcing player recruitment to a 'friendly' football agency.

When you add that the decision to sack McCall was made by a board that we all assume is only there for a short period it further questions what the long term plan is?

Just now, stuart_adam said:

The most interesting aspect from this seems that some fans feel like they should have had a say. 

Unfortunately we have still have some way to go to restoring trust and due process at the club and the timing of the statement was not ideal.

With regards to statements not being signed off by Individuals or names; I believe we are stuck between a rock and a hard place - if the individuals put their names down they will be attacked over social media and other sources whereas when they don't its presumed those individuals are responsible anyway.

This isn't in any way helpful and we need to take a step back and just learn from this going forward.

Completely agree, I would tend to put this down the timing aspect at least, to inexperience and naivety rather than some Machiavellian scenario. I don’t think it was handled the way any of us would have liked. However, the only thing the Club can realistically do is learn from this and move on.

This is the proverbial mountain out of a mole-hill. 

The timing was poor. However, what is even more embarrassing is some Jags fans saying that the supporters and the management should have been allowed to "enjoy their night" prior to making the announcement. "ENJOY THEIR NIGHT!?" WE LOST! AGAIN! I know mediocrity and the "at least we urnae the Old Furm" mentality is rife within our club, but c'mon! 

The simple fact of the matter is that on the pitch, we are no further forward than at this point last season. There has been no tangible improvement in results or league position. We are off the back of two embarrassing results against Hamilton and Cove, and up until last night we had THREE bloody people on the management team (one of whom completely went down in my estimation when he came back to take up a lower position). 

This is a roll of the dice. No doubt about it. However, I also have no doubt that if things continued, we would have finished 4th (at best), and went out in the first round of the play-offs.

5 minutes ago, laukat said:

If McCall has been sacked after losing 6 in a row in October/November I doubt too many would have concerns. It would have been pretty obvious why he had been sacked and wouldn't have required much of a statement.

However since then results have been better so it needs a clearer statement otherwise we all guess at what's going on and start to piece together events to establish our own sense.

The bit I've struggled with for a few weeks is the lack of progress on contract extensions. Whilst we can look at individual cases and say we should be able to find better replacements its hard to look at the collective of Sneddon, Muirhead, Brownlie, McAvoy, Hodson, Docherty, Bannigan, Smith, Mullin, Turner and McKinnon leaving in the summer and think we can do find better for all of those. Right now we only have Mitchell, McMillan, Milne, Lawless, Fitzpatrick and Dowds signed for next season.

Whilst some of them may reject a contract based on the lure of a better offer its difficult to understand why no-one has been extended unless finances are truly terrible for next season, the players knew the manager wasn't going to be here next season, we are going to move to a new model of signing under 25's as per Barnsley, making more use of loans or god forbid outsourcing player recruitment to a 'friendly' football agency.

When you add that the decision to sack McCall was made by a board that we all assume is only there for a short period it further questions what the long term plan is?

Results have not been better. We are currently on 1 win in 6.

Could it be that players were not accepting new contracts because they thought McCall might be around next year ?

2 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

This is the proverbial mountain out of a mole-hill. 

The timing was poor. However, what is even more embarrassing is some Jags fans saying that the supporters and the management should have been allowed to "enjoy their night" prior to making the announcement. "ENJOY THEIR NIGHT!?" WE LOST! AGAIN! I know mediocrity and the "at least we urnae the Old Furm" mentality is rife within our club, but c'mon! 

The simple fact of the matter is that on the pitch, we are no further forward than at this point last season. There has been no tangible improvement in results or league position. We are off the back of two embarrassing results against Hamilton and Cove, and up until last night we had THREE bloody people on the management team (one of whom completely went down in my estimation when he came back to take up a lower position). 

This is a roll of the dice. No doubt about it. However, I also have no doubt that if things continued, we would have finished 4th (at best), and went out in the first round of the play-offs.

out of likes

(Admin. Can we have more likes on days like this)

14 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Results have not been better. We are currently on 1 win in 6.

Could it be that players were not accepting new contracts because they thought McCall might be around next year ?

We've played 11 games since our run of 6 losses in a row. Won 5 drawn 2 lost 4. Statistically better and if we had beaten Hamilton or Cove I don't think we would even be discussing the possibility of McCall leaving.

The board must have known before firing McCall what the contractual position was with the players and the reasons why. If the the reason was McCall continuing in post was stopping Tiffoney, Turner etc signing up for another year then we should now expect a few contract extensions of key players in the next few days? I doubt that will happen but I live in hope that it does.

If they knew players were only going to sign if McCall remained and went ahead then they must either think the players can be brought around by a new manager, that we couldn't afford to extend the current contracts or have another plan for the playing squad?

If they have sacked McCall without knowing the effect on the players and having no plan to deal with it then no matter what you think of McCall's record its a stupid decision.

Gosh - what an abundance of conspiracy theories. We have a team that has been under pperforming for one reason or another for a few months. A fair portion of the support have called for change.

So, the decision itself might not be one that everyone agrees with, but it's not one that causes you to wonder what on earth they were thinking of.

The timing is odd, but the Board of Directors is inexperienced. 

Unless I hear to the contrary, I'll assume the obvious - that the Board decided it was time to change the management after the Cove game and made a mess of the timing of the announcement. Anything else I've heard on here seems less likely to me, but what do I know ...?

1 hour ago, stuart_adam said:

I think people are maybe over reacting a little here. The decision was very poorly timed, but overall based on how we have played the best part of 3 months we have been going backwards. You can blame injuries or whatever else, but the reality is - that's why you build a squad and it's quite obvious that there are people who are at Firhill who are not good enough, these guys brought here by McCall. 

With regards to McCall & co being relieved of their duties, there are always going to be those who agree and disagree, thats football. McCall has done 2 impressive stints at the club, the latter being the best in my eyes rejuvenating the club, the fanbase and delivering a title - restoring some passion and pride. 

The reality is 3 months ago we were 1st, now we are 5th. We just lost two home games against two teams in relegation trouble who have struggled to take points of anyone else recently. 

I don't think Doolan had much choice about stepping up, and he's not stabbed McCall in the back or anything. He's contracted by the club and when they ask him to do a job he's expected to do it. Just like any other business.

So lets get behind the team, and Dools going forward and if people want to thank McCall I'm sure we will have plenty of time to do that, and show we appreciate everything they done for us.

I would personally like to thank McCall, Archie and Scally for their services over the past few years and I will always appreciate them for restoring pride in our club and sticking by us during a very torrid time off the park with the power struggle with the board.

Whether you agree or disagree with the decision you have the right to be heard, lets refrain from dreaming up scenarios and rumours that are damaging to our club.

Pretty much everybody agrees the timing is weird. But not only that - we had a full strength squad yesterday for the 1st time in I don’t know how long. The next 3/4 games could see us back in the hunt for 2nd. Yesterday, no - next week - maybe depending on result. 

12 minutes ago, stolenscone said:

Unless I hear to the contrary, I'll assume the obvious - that the Board decided it was time to change the management after the Cove game and made a mess of the timing of the announcement. Anything else I've heard on here seems less likely to me, but what do I know ...?

You won’t hear anything from the board though as communication isn’t done. That in itself has led to all the speculation so they must take responsibility for it. There was nothing to stop them issuing the statement today, nothing stopping saying when they took the decision and why. Is this how it’s going to be going forward let’s hope not.

inexperience is not an acceptable excuse….Duncan smilie is not inexperienced nor is Gerry Britton. 

we should have decent standards as a club and do things properly and treat people as we would like to be treated.

I can understand why the decision was made but I can’t condone how it was done.

47 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

The simple fact of the matter is that on the pitch, we are no further forward than at this point last season. There has been no tangible improvement in results or league position. 

Apologies for selective quoting, I actually agree about some of what you're saying, especially about celebrating the defeat.

Just interested in this part. I assume its your view and I wonder how widely it is considered that the team has to progress (i.e improve their position) for the manager to stay in a job. Its probably true we're no better off than last season. I'd also say we're not worse off. Every other club is also trying to improve their position. 

Is lack of progression a sacking offence? Genuinely interested in what people think.  

1 minute ago, allyo said:

Apologies for selective quoting, I actually agree about some of what you're saying, especially about celebrating the defeat.

Just interested in this part. I assume its your view and I wonder how widely it is considered that the team has to progress (i.e improve their position) for the manager to stay in a job. Its probably true we're no better off than last season. I'd also say we're not worse off. Every other club is also trying to improve their position. 

Is lack of progression a sacking offence? Genuinely interested in what people think.  

McCall stated not being in the top two or challenging for promotion was unacceptable they were his goals for the season…...on that basis he was underperforming.

What do I know too?

If the decision to sack -  has he really been sacked (?) It is not at all clear that he is off the payroll, is it?

i McCall may not be the most magical manager we have ever had, I remember our slalom down the league not so long ago,  Perhaps two slaloms down the league even. But there were 'reasons' such as injuries and stuff. Before that stuff hit, we were competing for near top of the league.

Frankly I do not like our structure. Supporters voices and, investors money are needed to get us out of this public relations disaster.

I suppose I'm saying that the board isn't covering itself in glory.

What do they have to say for themselves?

Seems like silence to me.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, javeajag said:

McCall stated not being in the top two or challenging for promotion was unacceptable they were his goals for the season…...on that basis he was underperforming.

It is still possible to make top 2, isn’t it. It’s now looking like Dundee will at some point take top spot, as QP have hit a poor run. Ayr aren’t in great form either. Morton have just won their 1st game in ages. Raith and ICT are the form teams, breathing down our necks. If our form recovers with a full strength squad again, whose to say we can’t get back to our early season form and be challenging ?

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

Fair Enough - But there is a third of the Season still to go - if he fails to get us into the Play Offs - or performs poorly in them - then there are No Compliants - but he is still in the hunt and earnt us a much needed Pay Day from the Cup 

Exactly what is it that he has done ( or not done ) that deserves to be sacked is beyond me    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, douglas clark said:

What do I know too?

If the decision to sack -  has he really been sacked (?) It is not at all clear that he is off the payroll, is it?

i McCall may not be the most magical manager we have ever had, I remember our slalom down the league not so long ago,  Perhaps two slaloms down the league even. But there were 'reasons' such as injuries and stuff. Before that stuff hit, we were competing for near top of the league.

Frankly I do not like our structure. Supporters voices and, investors money are needed to get us out of this public relations disaster.

I suppose I'm saying that the board isn't covering itself in glory.

What do they have to say for themselves?

Seems like silence to me.

How can you "invest" in a Company which is Fan Owned - there are No Shares to sell     

2 hours ago, laukat said:

Some havent been offered a new contract?  I dont think any have been which is concerning.  There are some i dont think should be but there are others that should be

5 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Fair Enough - But there is a third of the Season still to go - if he fails to get us into the Play Offs - or performs poorly in them - then there are No Compliants - but he is still in the hunt and earnt us a much needed Pay Day from the Cup 

Exactly what is it that he has done ( or not done ) that deserves to be sacked is beyond me    

Don’t disagree …..the timing is strange