McCall Sacked

elevenone

20 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

It is still possible to make top 2, isn’t it. It’s now looking like Dundee will at some point take top spot, as QP have hit a poor run. Ayr aren’t in great form either. Morton have just won their 1st game in ages. Raith and ICT are the form teams, breathing down our necks. If our form recovers with a full strength squad again, whose to say we can’t get back to our early season form and be challenging ?

Don’t disagree…..but sadly our board won’t tell us anything 

1 hour ago, stolenscone said:

Gosh - what an abundance of conspiracy theories. We have a team that has been under pperforming for one reason or another for a few months. A fair portion of the support have called for change.

So, the decision itself might not be one that everyone agrees with, but it's not one that causes you to wonder what on earth they were thinking of.

The timing is odd, but the Board of Directors is inexperienced. 

Unless I hear to the contrary, I'll assume the obvious - that the Board decided it was time to change the management after the Cove game and made a mess of the timing of the announcement. Anything else I've heard on here seems less likely to me, but what do I know ...?

So one point of the Play Off Spots is justification for Sacking and appionting a Rookie Manager ? 

Seriously ? 

And given the various rumours on Finances - where would we be without the large Cash Injection from the Rangers Game 

But on the basis of a few bad Games - he is to be sacked ? 

David - that is nonesense - people should have a reality check 

There is no Good reason to sack a Manager in current circumstances - None  

"A fair portion of the support have called for change"

Posters on Social Media are not a fair portion of our Support - a Boards Job is to look at the BiG Picture - not respond to there mates  

4 minutes ago, dibble said:

Sounds like someone or some people on the board think they are playing football manager and are on a power trip . Very sad day for thistle 

Yes and given the timing of the announcements and the women's game not finishing until after the announcement we are probably talking about 3 board members at most.

3 hours ago, laukat said:

If McCall's time was up there wasn't a huge rush to get rid as we were not in danger of relegation with him at the helm. So we could have lined up a manager, got him to advise which of the playing squad he wanted to keep and ensured a smooth transition whilst affording McCall a chance to leave under amicable terms with a thank you from the fans for his efforts. 

Instead of which we have  an oddly timed, poorly communicated announcement that puts a novice manager at the helm of a club who have 10 first team regulars due to leave at the end of the season. Given how poor that leaves it gives rise to unfounded speculation so I'll add another unfounded wild theory to the mix and it goes like this:

Doolan is appointed to the youth role on the 13th January since then we've played 4 games and with the exception of yesterday all of the performances have looked like something has demoralised the team as well as a Hamilton game were half the squad couldn't make the bench but were back the following week.

So did McCall get told after Doolan was appointed that he would be replaced at the end of the season and that Doolan would be either in charge or assistant to someone like Neil Lennon. They ask McCall to replace Scally or Archibald with Doolan to allow him a few months as coach and enable a smooth transition as per the Jackie McNamara takeover last time. McCall says no to sacking any of his team. 

Players get wind of that just before the Hamilton game and a few throw their toys out the pram because they don't like the way McCall has been treated. Bad atmosphere continues to the Cove game and we lose again. A few players reject contract extensions because of what the board is doing to McCall.

Board now think they have to get rid of McCall to get Doolan in and try to convince Tiffoney, Turner, Holt etc to sign a new contract. They have everything lined up expecting Sevco to run up a cricket score so they can justify it. Unfortunately the team decide to use the Ibrox game as chance to show faith with their boss and put themselves in the shop window.

Doolan is not aware of any of this. Gets told on Sunday after the game that McCall has been fired and would he mind taking the team at Ayr.  Board now realise that its not been handled well and the optics after the Ibrox performance make it look like a bizarre sacking. To offer damage limitation they release a statement that implies Doolan is getting backed and we still have promotion within our grasp. 

Doolan takes over a group of players that are only interested in securing contracts elsewhere. We just avoid relegation, Doolan is fired, we're now in such a financial mess that we sell Milne for tuppence and no decent manager will touch us making the next few seasons just about survival.

All of the above is pure speculation........ but I wouldn't be surprised if it was very near the truth!

I reminded me in some ways of McParland's exit as manager when all was still going well for the Jags. The board had apparently agreed with him that Hugh Strachan would get a role as coach, but then they reneged on the agreement, and D McP the gentleman no longer wanted to work for those board members.

15 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

So there are no other options in cutting costs rather than a Management Team who just pulled in circa £200K in a Cup Tie - and are still in the Hunt for a play off spot - ask yourself this - who benefits from this Sacking 

And if its about Finances there are quicker and more straightforward cuts 

Jim you will have a far better idea of income from cup games than me.

But with a crowd of 41000, a fee for both tv and radio coverage plus the fee from getting this further in the cup not amount to £300,000 rather than £200,000”

Secondly the league cup saw us receive £80,000 for progressing in that particular cup to the Aberdeen tie where we also received a share of the gate and a fee for being on radio - maybe an extra £30,000 to ££35,000 from that totalling at least £110,000 for league cup.

So that potentially could be £400,000 he got for the club in the cup run.  And if finances are bad (we don’t know because PTFCTRUST don’t communicate) then potentially that’s the second time he may have had a significant impact on the club not going into administration.

The first being when the sale of Harkins and Twaddle allowed us to pay HMRC.  Also worth mentioning that the club looked to sell Harkins to Dundee for £50,000 while he insisted on it not being less than £125,000

The Board's statement is not explicit that the three will be leaving the Club: It only mentions "first team duties."  I'm sure that is just careless wording, but it just re-inforces the impression that the whole affair was very badly handled, and that confidence in the Board has been severely dented.

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

But with a crowd of 41000, a fee for both tv and radio coverage plus the fee from getting this further in the cup not amount to £300,000 rather than £200,000”

Secondly the league cup saw us receive £80,000 for progressing in that particular cup to the Aberdeen tie where we also received a share of the gate and a fee for being on radio - maybe an extra £30,000 to ££35,000 from that totalling at least £110,000 for league cup.

So that potentially could be £400,000 he got for the club in the cup run.  And if finances are bad (we don’t know because PTFCTRUST don’t communicate) then potentially that’s the second time he may have had a significant impact on the club not going into administration.

The first being when the sale of Harkins and Twaddle allowed us to pay HMRC.  Also worth mentioning that the club looked to sell Harkins to Dundee for £50,000 while he insisted on it not being less than £125,000

The finances of the club are ‘shocking ‘ and the begging bowl is out for investors although how that works in a fan owned club I have no idea 

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I’m not sure the daily record is always reliable 

Think it more looks like the Board have read the reaction and tried to leak a version of events that doesn't make it look as daft.

If they have decided to hold off until post the cup game why not hold off until the day after that game?

A more capable board probably starts this week with a statement saying 'good performance yesterday but we need that to quickly translate into league results' then if the Ayr game goes badly there are no surprises.

I suspect the 3 amigo's did it yesterday as it stopped the 4th board member raising any objection or asking any questions.

We really need to have some real communication and clarification of the current position and direction of the Club from the Board and the other Groups involved. 

As fans we deserve better, we turn up at games, contribute financially through TJF and the Club through gate receipts, centenary funds and sponsorship, as well as our emotional investment.

We cannot continue to play the blame game of its the Board, its the Trust without being informed of what is actually going on at the Club.

The timing of the sackings was bizarre, if it was after the last home game I would understand. To make this announcement, in such a manner, so soon after one of our best performances at Ibrox in years makes us look completely ridiculous.

• Like 1

I was hoping our new board would do things differently, but the chair was on the last board and I believe may have been involved in the initial share fiasco. TJF certainly were not involved.

Although we are 9 points behind dundee, we have to play them twice. This year’s league winners will be champions on possibly the lowest points ever.  Everything still to play for. When a full team was picked, we’ve played some of our best football since 2012/13.  I’d have kept the manager.

yesterday, the team and fans were class and as one.  Even that crowd we played against showed some class. Only thistle could turn a positive day into a situation where the board are classless.  
Whatever your thoughts on the merits of our management team, this is no way to treat people.  Let that sink in when you think how they’ve treated the fans.  We still don’t have fan ownership.  We should have demanded a new board.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Hi Matt 

From memory the last time we played Rangers in the Cup at Ibrox when Damian Grey Scored ( and funny enough Colly was manager ) there was a Crowd of 25,000 and we earned circa £150K 

So you can roughly proportion on Sundays Crowd 

The TV Money & Radio Money goes into a Pool - the further you get on in the Cup the larger the Slice - so we will obviously get some additional cash from the SFA 

Traditionally budgets were set assuming you go out in the First Round of both Cups - everything else is a Bonus ( cant comment on current Budgets ) 

A Key part of the Harkins deal is that we got the £125K upfront - Twadds Payment was staged - Him and Harkins used to moan that there Sales Fees help keep the Club Afloat and they got Booed at Firhill - Liam Buchanan who we got nothing for - used to get applauded after he left     

32 minutes ago, laukat said:

Think it more looks like the Board have read the reaction and tried to leak a version of events that doesn't make it look as daft.

If they have decided to hold off until post the cup game why not hold off until the day after that game?

A more capable board probably starts this week with a statement saying 'good performance yesterday but we need that to quickly translate into league results' then if the Ayr game goes badly there are no surprises.

I suspect the 3 amigo's did it yesterday as it stopped the 4th board member raising any objection or asking any questions.

If as suggested-  the decision was made before the Rangers Game - then all Four Board Members were party to the decision

To say that McCall "Earned us" the money from the Rangers game is a bit generous. We reached the last 16, which should be par for us. We beat Kelty and Dunfermline both from lower leagues, so if we hadn't got to this stage it would have been an under achievement. That it was Rangers who came out of the hat was just luck. If we had made it to the quarter finals, or beaten someone decent on the way you could have claimed he had done something, but in reality, this was a pretty average performance in the cup. 

1 minute ago, Dick Dastardly said:

To say that McCall "Earned us" the money from the Rangers game is a bit generous. We reached the last 16, which should be par for us. We beat Kelty and Dunfermline both from lower leagues, so if we hadn't got to this stage it would have been an under achievement. That it was Rangers who came out of the hat was just luck. If we had made it to the quarter finals, or beaten someone decent on the way you could have claimed he had done something, but in reality, this was a pretty average performance in the cup. 

On the Flip Side if he lost to Dunfermline - he would probably have been sacked 

So he gets the Credit when we get to the next Round where there is a decent chance of a Good Draw