Stevie Lawless

exiledjag

I thought I would start a new thread on this subject as It wouldn't be fair to try to hide my contrition in another thread.

Some WAT contributers will recall  I made it very clear that I thought signing Stevie Lawless was a mistake. I mentioned a number of issues I had with the signing including doubts about his commitment.

However, I have to admit that I was completely wrong about signing Lawless. He demonstrated in every game he played just how clever a player he is and later when Doolan took over just how perfect his intelligence and playing style was for the way Doolan wanted to play. In fact under Doolan he has been a revelation

Above all he impressed me with his commitment to the cause and that he was  very clearly  playing for the Jersey. 

In short I misjudged Stevie Lawless and apologise to him for doubting him and to his supporters for not seeing in him the attributes which they saw in abundance.

I would like to reassure Stevie and his devotees that he will have my full and unconditional support in the coming season.

There I have said it!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I thought I would start a new thread on this subject as It wouldn't be fair to try to hide my contrition in another thread.

Some WAT contributers will recall  I made it very clear that I thought signing Stevie Lawless was a mistake. I mentioned a number of issues I had with the signing including doubts about his commitment.

However, I have to admit that I was completely wrong about signing Lawless. He demonstrated in every game he played just how clever a player he is and later when Doolan took over just how perfect his intelligence and playing style was for the way Doolan wanted to play. In fact under Doolan he has been a revelation

Above all he impressed me with his commitment to the cause and that he was  very clearly  playing for the Jersey. 

In short I misjudged Stevie Lawless and apologise to him for doubting him and to his supporters for not seeing in him the attributes which they saw in abundance.

I would like to reassure Stevie and his devotees that he will have my full and unconditional support in the coming season.

There I have said it!

Totally agree. I was very vociferous in my objection to him returning,  but he was brilliant last season. Particularly after Dools took over, him and McMillan formed an excellent partnership down the right.

Likewise, I was one of those who openly disagreed with his re-signing at the time. 

Very happy to consume a large dollop of humble pie on this one - Stevie Lawless has been an outstanding success since his return to the club.

He's been a pleasure to watch and particularly so since regaining full fitness following Kris Doolan's appointment.

Haven't checked back but I think I was in favour of signing Stevie mainly for the position he would fill. We'd gone thru the previous season where a couple of loan signings (Hastie then McAlister) failed to provide a mirror to Tiffoney down the left side. I didn't want to see centre mids the likes of Turner, Crawford, Smith etc being played out of position wide right. So Lawless was tailor made to come in if only for a balance in formation. I thought that made his signing both logical and reasonably low risk. 

That tho' is far from me taking an "I told you so" attitude. I'm more than just pleasantly surprised at what transpired. I was expecting Stevie to be more of a bit player, perhaps only an occasional starter or an impact sub. In fact excluding a dip in form around midway thru the season, Stevie was excellent. We all expected the Tiffoney/Milne flank to be the game winner side of the pitch. I think the Lawless/McMillan flank was every bit as effective. 

• Like 1

Glad to see everybody acknowledging how much McMillan has contributed to how well Lawless has done for the majority of this season. The two of them seem to have a telepathic understanding of where each other are. I know both are signed up for the coming season, but i just hope we get to see that partnership continue.

• Like 1

Perhaps it is all too easy for us to assume that a player we've seen years ago is the same player - disregarding the gains in skill and understanding we should actually expect from a committed professional, if balanced by a loss of pace. IMHO Stevie Lawless now is a more capable player than during his first stint with the club.

• Like 1

Difficult to compare Lawless Mark 1 with Lawless Mark 2. Stevie 1 was sensational in our promotion season. Less so thereafter but that was playing in the top tier. Stevie 2 is perhaps less of a goal threat than the 12/13 model. Where he now excels is in decision making, link up play and overall distribution/goal assists, that sort of thing.

I just wish he was a few years younger.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Difficult to compare Lawless Mark 1 with Lawless Mark 2. Stevie 1 was sensational in our promotion season. Less so thereafter but that was playing in the top tier. Stevie 2 is perhaps less of a goal threat than the 12/13 model. Where he now excels is in decision making, link up play and overall distribution/goal assists, that sort of thing.

I just wish he was a few years younger.

Think you were possibly one of the few who kind of had an open mind on Stevie Lawless coming back to Firhill 

Mentioned that there was a chance he might come back but didn’t get a lot of support probably because the Burton and Motherwell moves didn’t work out .

His partnership with Jack Macmillan is easily the best in our division and with Harry Milne on the other side it’s not all doom and gloom .

• Like 1

Thinking back, I remember thinking that Lawless was hard done by in the season or two before he left.

We had him playing out wide with the whole wing to himself.

His attitude was immense and the shifts he put in were unreal, as he tried to attack and defend, with no support.

It was a real mis-management of his talents and he is now back on his game, with the right players behind and around him. 

4 hours ago, CotterJag said:

Thinking back, I remember thinking that Lawless was hard done by in the season or two before he left.

We had him playing out wide with the whole wing to himself.

His attitude was immense and the shifts he put in were unreal, as he tried to attack and defend, with no support.

It was a real mis-management of his talents and he is now back on his game, with the right players behind and around him. 

Cannot agree more.

He was wasted at LWB in the 17-18 season due to Archie's poor recruitment (Milan Nitriansky anyone??). Considering that Archie went for most of that season with Ryan Edwards and Adam Barton as a central midfield, it's difficult not to conclude that Stevie Lawless' absence from that engine room was possibly a major factor in our rancid performance that season.