Thistle v Arbroath 6.1.24

elevenone

It's pretty simple. There are two reasons why players leave clubs. Either the club wants them gone to replace with better, or the player wants to go because there are better things on offer elsewhere. Replacing the latter is always going to be difficult because, by definition, players of that quality and reputation are receiving better offers elsewhere. So you have to find a gem. Or develop one. And that is never easy. 

If we were able to offer what Holt, Turner, Tiffoney and Docherty left for, why wouldn't we just have offered it to them?

17 minutes ago, allyo said:

It's pretty simple. There are two reasons why players leave clubs. Either the club wants them gone to replace with better, or the player wants to go because there are better things on offer elsewhere. Replacing the latter is always going to be difficult because, by definition, players of that quality and reputation are receiving better offers elsewhere. So you have to find a gem. Or develop one. And that is never easy. 

If we were able to offer what Holt, Turner, Tiffoney and Docherty left for, why wouldn't we just have offered it to them?

We couldn’t offer Turner and Tiffoney Premiership football which I guess they wanted as well as extra money.

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

We couldn’t offer Turner and Tiffoney Premiership football which I guess they wanted as well as extra money.

I can sympathise with both players for leaving us for the above reasons. 

It's just a pity they aren't exactly cutting it at Dundee and Ross County respectively! Both have spent a fair amount of time on the bench however, recently, Tiffoney has made it into the starting 11.

I wish them both better luck in the SPL in the second half of the season!

12 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Yeah. I'd say league level and money are both factors when I say "better offer". And I see what you're saying, it wasn't in our gift to offer the higher league level. Which again is why we lost them and why its very difficult to just go out and replace them like-for-like.

Edited by allyo

1 hour ago, allyo said:

Yeah. I'd say league level and money are both factors when I say "better offer". And I see what you're saying, it wasn't in our gift to offer the higher league level. Which again is why we lost them and why its very difficult to just go out and replace them like-for-like.

I think there was also a bit of timing that went against us with them. All four left in the period between the announcement of Armageddon and TJF and the new chair putting in some money. Whether that would have made any difference with any of them is anyone’s guess.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think there was also a bit of timing that went against us with them. All four left in the period between the announcement of Armageddon and TJF and the new chair putting in some money. Whether that would have made any difference with any of them is anyone’s guess.

I heard it did with one of the four. The extra funding coming a day or two too late.

5 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I heard it did with one of the four. The extra funding coming a day or two too late.

Not sure who you’re talking about LIB , but Doc wanted to stay but the money Dundee United offered would have been crazy to turn down .

On 1/8/2024 at 3:37 PM, javeajag said:

The statistical evidence that matters is getting promoted. If we keep those stats and are in the championship next year then it’s failure ( cue posts of people telling us why nit getting promoted is actually a great outcome )

Not if we win playoffs.

We are comfortably 3rd , 9 points off top, 6 of second and 10 points off 5th.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Not if we win playoffs.

We are comfortably 3rd , 9 points off top, 6 of second and 10 points off 5th.

I would love to win the play-offs and gain promotion to the SPL.

The system though is against us and  I am confident  the SPL hierarchy will make sure a 'suitable' referee is appointed for the finaL game as they did at Dingwall.

20 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I would love to win the play-offs and gain promotion to the SPL.

The system though is against us and  I am confident  the SPL hierarchy will make sure a 'suitable' referee is appointed for the finaL game as they did at Dingwall.

Some of the refs decisions were contentious, but we were 3-0 ahead in aggregate with 20 minutes to go. We also had chances to score more in normal and extra time, we could have also won the penalty shoot out. We blew it. If we get into the same position again we have got to show we learned from that last 20 minutes in Dingwall and not make the same mistakes again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Some of the refs decisions were contentious, but we were 3-0 ahead in aggregate with 20 minutes to go. We also had chances to score more in normal and extra time, we could have also won the penalty shoot out. We blew it. If we get into the same position again we have got to show we learned from that last 20 minutes in Dingwall and not make the same mistakes again.

And when a man up at home it should have been more than 2-0 before the second leg. It maybe harsh but we only have ourselves to blame

17 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

And when a man up at home it should have been more than 2-0 before the second leg. It maybe harsh but we only have ourselves to blame

Agree. Most concentrate on the second leg but we could've and should've had a bigger lead after the first leg.