Partick Thistle 🔴 🟡 Vs Livingston 🟡⚫️ - up for the cup

jagfox

4 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

True. I live in Warrington and am 18 hours into a 48 hour shift at work. I was there in spirit.

The starting a thread early is every f***ing time

When there is no actual chat, why does it matter?

It gives a chance for dome relevant discourse rather than the usual diatribe in here.

If you don't like it, scroll past.

I also don't believe you're doing a 48 hour shift. It isn't even legal.

8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Notwithstanding we've beaten County plus Morton saw off Motherwell, I worry a wee bit about pace and physicality of top tier teams. Put another way we're not exactly blessed with either of these two qualities. Sense we can outplay Livingston without too much difficulty. Just fear that we might struggle to do so for long enough to win thru.

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

A bit early with the subs ?

Both these posts sum it up for me. We were up against a better team despite their recent form but I thought we outplayed them until the subs which were too early and unnecessary. Their first goal generated a kind of air of inevitability about the final outcome and (Adeloye’s strike aside) we didn’t have the ability to recover from it.

Although referee Walsh didn’t affect the outcome he remains consistently ridiculous.

1 minute ago, JAG1970 said:

Although referee Walsh didn’t affect the outcome he remains consistently ridiculous.

Was their first goal not from a corner that was given despite the ball hitting a Livi player on the way out? Our players were very upset with that decision at the time. Yes we have to defend the corner better but if he gets the correct decision there's no corner to defend.

Although on the other hand I didn't see much wrong with their disallowed goal and another ref might have given the handball claim on Milne just before their winner.

18 minutes ago, jagfox said:

When there is no actual chat, why does it matter?

It gives a chance for dome relevant discourse rather than the usual diatribe in here.

If you don't like it, scroll past.

I also don't believe you're doing a 48 hour shift. It isn't even legal.

It is when you work for an American company. I have to do it 7 weekends a year (supporting a global cloud it infrastructure)

16 minutes ago, Big Col said:

You clearly weren’t at the gene today with a comment like that. Sneddon made several good saves  to keep us in it.

I must have been somewhere else then … Sneddon did make some good saves but that is it … he can’t command his box , refuses to come for cross balls and is a bomb scare at crosses. How many crosses did he fumble and miss ? 

he is also too small and too slight for the modern game.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ancipital said:

Was their first goal not from a corner that was given despite the ball hitting a Livi player on the way out? Our players were very upset with that decision at the time. Yes we have to defend the corner better but if he gets the correct decision there's no corner to defend.

Although on the other hand I didn't see much wrong with their disallowed goal and another ref might have given the handball claim on Milne just before their winner.

Yep, looked a clear goal kick. And just before the 2nd Tommy looked clearly onside. He’s a terrible referee but we should’ve seen it out. Some strike for the first goal too.

• Like 1

Just now, javeajag said:

I must have been somewhere else then … Sneddon did make some good saves but that is it … he can’t command his box , refuses to come for cross balls and is a bomb scare at crosses. How many crosses did he fumble and miss ? 

I was more concerned with defenders who couldn’t seemingly see players who are over 6 feet tall ghosting past them or being right beside them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

At least one outstanding save, but we are so weak at corners, his inability to come & grab a cross really hinders us.

Livi were terrible in the first half, we should’ve buried them.

1 minute ago, Big Col said:

I was more concerned with defenders who couldn’t seemingly see players who are over 6 feet tall ghosting past them or being right beside them.

Sure part of the problem as well, as we’re the substitutions but Sneddon isn’t good enough .

2 minutes ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

At least one outstanding save, but we are so weak at corners, his inability to come & grab a cross really hinders us.

Livi were terrible in the first half, we should’ve buried them.

He’s a good shot stopper but a liability with crosses,

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Sure part of the problem as well, as we’re the substitutions but Sneddon isn’t good enough .

Maybe so, but he wasn’t the problem today.  Probably kept us from losing it earlier with a couple saves.

My big question is……when Graham goes off, who is the leader?  I don’t care who’s wearing the armband - who is the leader?

We didn't really merit a 2 goal lead and there was a Dingwall-like inevitability about the outcome. All season we have lacked bite in midfield and fitness/stamina. We were overpowered by a physically stronger Livi - they were a team of giants who looked like they had recruited from the Harlem Globetrotters. 

I have just watched the clip of their winner - Nielson looks exhausted and they had a free header. We were being overloaded down the wings in the second half but without Lawless & Fitzpatrick we have little creativity - apart from Adeloye's shot we never threatened to score in the last hour of the game. Banzo had a good game and Milne battled hard against Nouble - Alston is a waste of a jersey.

This should have been a great chance to improve our deplorable cup record but Livi looked stronger opposition than anything in the Championship - it doesn't fill me with confidence for the play-offs. 

Edited by Winter of '63

As others have said the decision to sub Lawless and Graham so early was strange. It was almost as if we thought we had won and could afford to rest them.

Doolan is developing a bad habit of throwing away leads and not knowing how to see games out.

I actually thought Martindale had figured us out before halftime. He switched Nouble to play in behind Fitzpatrick as he realised Fitzpatrick doesn't defend as well as Lawless on the other side. I don't think Martindale could believe his luck when we took off Lawless and Graham as it just meant we were constantly outnumbered in wide areas and through the middle. At 2-1 down you could see Doolan had figured out Milne was getting overloaded and he need Ngwenya on but he waited until we conceded the second before making the sub.

Adeloye just doesn't harass centrebacks the same way Graham does and Diack is never a winger. Alston for McInroy was also odd when Stanway appeared to be the one who was tiring/not playing so well. No idea why we subbed off Muirhead unless he was injured particularly in a game that might have gone to penalties. Only sub that made sense was Williams for McMillan and I assume that was because McMillan was injured.

Thought Milne, Bannigan and Muirhead did well.

Ref was honking. Dishing yellow cards out like confetti, not spotting the ball going out of play and giving some odd decisions.

Definitely one that Doolan and McDonald need to take the blame for.

2 minutes ago, ChiThistle said:

Maybe so, but he wasn’t the problem today.  Probably kept us from losing it earlier with a couple saves.

My big question is……when Graham goes off, who is the leader?  I don’t care who’s wearing the armband - who is the leader?

He was and is part of the problem … our inability to defend cross balls both from the keeper and defenders costs us dearly .

Taking off arguably our four best players was very strange, assuming McMillan/Fitzpatrick picked up knocks or were knackered? Terrible decision to take Lawless and Graham off. Doesn’t help that their replacements were absolutely dreadful. Our team at the end of that game was really poor - hanging on for the possibility of penalties. I’m gutted.