Doolan And Stewart

RodMcDonaldJag

Exactly how i see it. Praying we can scrape together some cash for a new striker.

But dont you know we have no money!!! Well thats the usual response when a few of us have questioned our strike force this season. Cant see Doolan getting as many this season and Stewart will not be prolific. Grehan aint rated and the rest are young boys. The directors have to chip in and give our rookie manager a bit of help to get someone in up front or we are gonna struggle, especially if any of the two main strikers get injured/suspended. Thought we played well today, only to be done by a dubious penalty right at the death, but we were powder puff up front. The directors need to help the manager get someone in up front before the window closes, even if only on loan.

Edited by Lindau

Exactly how i see it. Praying we can scrape together some cash for a new striker.

http://www.wearethistle.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/3532-easyfundraising-easysearch/

The above schemes may not generate a fortune but, as someone once said, every little helps!

David Beattie also said in his programme notes that there is a meeting on 15th of August and after that the Membership Scheme will be quickly launched and that any extra money raised will go to Jackie's budget.

Disagree, both look good together. Doolan has not hit form yet, when he gets a goal I am sure he will be okay. Quality of service to them was not good today.

Don’t understand why anybody would say a striker that scored 15 league goals last year is a second striker.

Edited by Alan Murray

Dont really look like a partnership at all. They are perhaps too similar in style and, IMO, Doolan is a far better player so should start with someone else. Been saying all summer that we need a new striker to come in and today just served to reinforce that belief.

Agree. Not only that, Grehan seems totally frozen out, not played the last two games, Jackie even put Kinniburgh up front rather than bring him on.

Disagree, both look good together. Doolan has not hit form yet, when he gets a goal I am sure he will be okay. Quality of service to them was not good today.

Don’t understand why anybody would say a striker that scored 15 league goals last year is a second striker.

I like Doolan, but he scored a lot of penalties and goals against stirling and cowden last year, its a much tougher test for him this time around.

We really need another option up front. Having seen the last four games I'm not convinced that Tommy Stewart is even a striker at all and would be best used in the midfield sitting in behind the forwards. Grehan is not the answer unless he has really raised his game, but that seems unlikely considering Jackie doesn't seem to want to even give him five minutes.

I'll turn it round and say Doolan is well suited to being a second striker. His first touch is usually excellent and probably the best since Britton. His lay off play and awareness may not yet be of Gerry's quality but is improving all the time. I'd say Doolan is winning a fair amount in the air and on par with Britton on head flicks. All of that is positive and imo makes Doolan an automatic selection even if his goal rate isn't necessarily that of an out and out striker.

I think then the key guy is Stewart and it's maybe too early to really know if he can play as a striker as opposed to an attacking midfielder (in a sort of Hardie type role). Meantime for balance I'd rather see the right sided Fraser coming off the bench than Grehan.

for what its worth

dont think doolan and stewart works up front

similar type of player but doolan that bit sharper

here's a thought

we are screaming out for a BIG centre forward that can win a few high balls coming from defence

grehan is not the answer

watched the lad robertson on saturday he's not the quickest but he certainly puts himself about

dare i say it he reminds me a bit like colin macadam

why not ??

dungdee's no 5 strolled through the game on saturday

and please play cairney centre midfield

never a pen

fox to me is one of the better keepers i've seen at firhill

the young left back is a stoater he wont be at firhill for long

rowson by far and away the best footballer on the park on saturday

his technique, fitness must be an inspiration to the rest of the team

there i feel a bit better now :D

Imo Doolan is a shadow of the player he was last season.But lets hope he can get a goal and

that kick starts his season.What has happened to Fraser?Not even on the bench.In fact most of our promising young players dont seem to be getting much of a chance so far this season.

Imo Doolan is a shadow of the player he was last season.But lets hope he can get a goal and

that kick starts his season.What has happened to Fraser?Not even on the bench.In fact most of our promising young players dont seem to be getting much of a chance so far this season.

Too early to be really worried about Doolan, I think. It may also be the case that he's coming in for some tighter marking/roughing up this time around, given how well he did last season. Good point about the youngsters, though.

I thought Doolan did quite well on Saturday up against a big strong defence and with too much of the ball going to him in the air. The partnership between him and Stewart is more of a concern to me, as folk have pointed out they are too similar and we need a bit of variety or at least an understanding between the front two which has been lacking so far.

It's still very early in their partnership. It takes time for an understanding to develop. Think it's far too early to say they can't play together.

They played a few games at the latter end of last season and one thing we dont have is time. By 21.35 tomorrow night we could be out two cups before the middle of August and bottom of the table with a difficult away game on Saturday. Early days yes, but I think the one thing this team needed was to hit the ground running and another start like last season could prove fatal this time round

watched the lad robertson on saturday he's not the quickest but he certainly puts himself about

and please play cairney centre midfield

What I noticed is that Robertson seemed to read the game well - he often got to the point of danger and won the ball, simply because he saw what was developing. That makes up a bit for him not being quick. Could maybe do a job as sweeper if we ever need to play that way.

Yes, Cairney's best position is centre midfield, not the wing, but now we've got Robertson you have to play Cairney wider since he's got the running and Robertson hasn't. At least you have to in a 4-4-2. If we use a 4-3-3 (or even 3-5-3) in some games then not such a problem since Cairney can tuck in a bit, closer to central midfield, in these formations.

I think Cairney will be OK out wide once he gets his full fitness back. I feel at the moment he hasn't 100% recovered from the bug that weakened him so much last season. He still has his dig, which makes him a useful player to us, but hasn't quite got back his full running stamina yet - which is why we keep seeing him subbed in games.

Edited by Mr Bunny