We'Ve Ad Some Bad Yins

The optimist

Haud the bus!!!!!!

This post I created was meant to be a lighthearted look back at some of the less gifted players we have had. I was hoping it might even bring out some humourous anecdotes about what made these players so bad. However, it seems to have turned into internal infighting.

Personally, i think some people need to remember that the forum is meant to be fun medium for us jags fans to stay in touch and communicate.

so please play nice

Apologies from me, optimist. In agreement with what your saying I was at the same time diverting your thread away from what was intended.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think there should be some sort of poll for this. Some people will only remember the existence of some players, that were so bad they had erased memory of them, when they are reminded. I'd suggest that maybe john kane and vitislav mooc might be the worst two mentioned so far.

Could maybe somebody add something even slightly interesting on why so and so was so bad? :unsure: Just naming players that did hee haw for us is kinda pointless.

I thought my post was quite informative, The Lovell bit was short but gave a reason all the same, and I divulged my emotions over Cameron for an entire season , which may be easy for you m'lady but us men have difficulties expressing emotion in public :P

You're such a snob :lol:

Edited by Hot Shot

Anyone remember the Callaghans during the Tommy Bryce era? Now they were especially pish. Don't ever remember either of them scoring for us.

Kenny Brannigan is also the worst player I have ever seen grace a Thistle top. A central defender who couldn't head the ball, poor tackler and had the positional sense of a blind turnip. Not to mention the fact he was captain at the time

Edited by Lanarkjag

do loan signings count?

if so, i'd give di giacomo a shout. me no likey.

there should be a sub-category for players who are looked upon fondly, were characters, or generally well intentioned, but ultimately kind of useless (in a loving way)...jakup mikkelson or quentin jacobs maybe?

i think there should be some sort of poll for this. Some people will only remember the existence of some players, that were so bad they had erased memory of them, when they are reminded. I'd suggest that maybe john kane and vitislav mooc might be the worst two mentioned so far.

I'd raise you a Dave the Ukranian. Here's a guy who only started once for us, got himself immediately booked for a rugby tackle and was subbed by half time. I don't think he managed more than 10 more mins on the field after that. I admit it's at tough call between Mssrs Mooc and Pronevych but the former stumbled about like a headless chicken in the 1st Div whereas Dave managed that feat against the bottom club in Div 2.

I thought my post was quite informative, The Lovell bit was short but gave a reason all the same, and I divulged my emotions over Cameron for an entire season , which may be easy for you m'lady but us men have difficulties expressing emotion in public :P

You're such a snob :lol:

nearly choked on my morning sherry when I read that :o

:D

I realise that I'm probably in the minority, but I've always had an irrational dislike for Graeme Robertson (blond right back we paid money (£20k?) to take from Dunfermline in the 1990s). I can't explain why, but nobody quite gets my goat like him.

Strange you should mention Robertson who I believe to be very similar to our present right back, Paton.

I thought him a fair player with an incredibly irritating weakness in his game - an inability to pass/ cross the ball to a team mate. For me Paton, who is great at getting forward, fails too often when crossing, to get the ball past the first defender.

Was just thinking that about signings that could improve our squad this summer, then I remembered that in last years pre season, we signed Jim Hamilton. Who was arguably one of the worst signings in recent times.

It got me thinking that actually, we have had some stickers in the last 10 or so years. So whos your worst player of the decade.

Steve Fulton - no contest!! Without question the worst player I've seen in a Jags shirt, and my memory goes back a long way.

We have in the past often been seen as a sort of retirement home for ex-OF players put out to grass at the end of their careers, but Fulton really took the biscuit in my eyes.

Disgracefully unfit. Didn't try. Didn't care - and, it is alleged,ready to lead younger players astray. What were our management team thinking of?

Leigh Hinds! I remember the game where he was unveiled (or paraded?) and the general enthusiasm from the crowd. He then proceeded to hide from the ball repeatedly - never in the right place at the right time, statistically he should have been there at least once. So bloody frustrating.

And so your tiresome anti McCall crusade continues. <_<

Compared to a lot of the other Thistle Managers we have had over the last 25 years or so his signings have not been that bad.

No anti-McCall crusade on this occasion. The other posters listed the duds signed by Dick Campbell whom I disliked from his first ridiculous "no relegation" statements. I just added McCall's as he is our current manager.

McCall has also extended Kinniburgh's deal. Are you happy with that and his other signings like Erskine, Hodge and Doolan? Harkins, Twaddle and Cairney were good signings but they have to be viewed in context with the poor ones.

Edited by kni

Steve Fulton - no contest!! Without question the worst player I've seen in a Jags shirt, and my memory goes back a long way.

We have in the past often been seen as a sort of retirement home for ex-OF players put out to grass at the end of their careers, but Fulton really took the biscuit in my eyes.

Disgracefully unfit. Didn't try. Didn't care - and, it is alleged,ready to lead younger players astray. What were our management team thinking of?

I'm surprised it took til the 3rd page for anyone to mention him, totally agree he was honkin'. I'd also throw in Jakup Mikkelson, international goalie :lol: .

Out of all the signings over the years I think Lovell and Bonnes have been the most disappointing simply because I expected big things from them when they signed :(

No anti-McCall crusade on this occasion. The other posters listed the duds signed by Dick Campbell whom I disliked from his first ridiculous "no relegation" statements. I just added McCall's as he is our current manager.

McCall has also extended Kinniburgh's deal. Are you happy with that and his other signings like Erskine, Hodge and Doolan? Harkins, Twaddle and Cairney were good signings but they have to be viewed in context with the poor ones.

No I criticise him for the likes of Hamilton, Lennon and Lovell(though everyone thought they would be great signings partly the reason they werent was the players themselves)

Keegan, MCstay and several others were poor as well.

Regarding Hodge, Doolan and Erskine they will be with us for next season so I will reserve judgement on them for all we know they may come good. While all 3 have been average they certainly ahve not been in the wrost ever duds and the 2 Junior guys were pretty much on peanuts and not in any way a waste of a wage like Lennon, Lovell, Hamilton etc

Two of the most disappointing signings for me have been Ricky Gillies and Leigh Hinds - two players I had hoped would be good players for us yet didn't seem to ever be on the pitch.

My memory of my first season going to Firhill back in '97-98 is very vague, but Graham (Graeme?) Connell springs to mind as a player who couldn't kick his erse, though I may be mistaken.

Two of the most disappointing signings for me have been Ricky Gillies and Leigh Hinds - two players I had hoped would be good players for us yet didn't seem to ever be on the pitch.

My memory of my first season going to Firhill back in '97-98 is very vague, but Graham (Graeme?) Connell springs to mind as a player who couldn't kick his erse, though I may be mistaken.

Apart from one absolute screamer against Inverness!

Apart from one absolute screamer against Inverness!

Aye, shortly after that when getting players autographs, I spoke Tommy Callaghan on the pitch during warm up - thinking he was Graham Connell I told him I thought the goal he had scored against Inverness was amazing.

One of the greatest atrocities of the post-war era is that this thread is now well into its third page and is yet entirely devoid of any reference whatsoever to Barry Smith, the principal resident in the realm of fud-dom. This 'man' bore a striking resemblance to an egg, was as familiar with a football as most of us are with the Polynesian sub-dialects of West Papua, and, beyond the parameters of comprehension, held down a semi-regular place during the latter part of Nero Campbell's anarchic reign.

On reflection, it is probably better that all and any mention of this fraud be fully deleted from the annals of our club lest we all shudder periodically with unspeakable neural horrors.

So, on that note, I won't mention him again either. Honest.