Professionally Done

Dark Passenger

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but it's a good example of the lack of heart in this team: the gulf in standards was obvious, but wasn't reflected in goals. Scoring just one in the second half, in particular, against part-time opposition that was tiring while facing a gale, is sub-standard. Bare pass marks.

Maybe trying to conserve some energy foe Wednesday night ?

We won convincingly, and we are through to the next round.

And yet we still get people on here having a strop about it??

The majority of the people on here don't deserve to have the Jags as their team, to be honest.

Me? Way happy, job done QoS await, and Ayr on Wednesday. Full glass scenario.

:thumbsup2:

Edited by Barney Rubble

I know it's all if's and but's, but, if we had played like that against a first division today we could well have been facing another defeat.

Having said that, if it was a case of McNamara instructing the players to take the foot off the pedal then I can understand it.

Personally, I wanted the players to hammer Culter to give the fans something back after last week.

If the conditions weren't so bad we'd probably have added a couple more goals.

Kinda with the above post but on the other hand having watched the whole 180 mins I think we're lucky no player has picked up a serious injury. At the time quite a few of us thought Erskine had in fact suffered a bad one in the first half up at Culter and today some what would pass for a timed tackle in Junior football was woefully late at our level. Kinda a long way round of saying I'd rather we won 4-0 than 10-0 with a couple of our lads out for the rest of the season.

Btw I thought the almost bunnetesque in eccentricity line up today worked very well. It may have possibly contributed to the relative shortage of goals but in a safety first set up it was faultless. With that in mind McNamara will be very pleased with Robertson. Can't really imagine an occasion when we'll line up like that again. I don't know how others saw it but I thought it looked as if it was a 2-3-1-2-2 with width :unsure: .

Btw I thought the almost bunnetesque in eccentricity line up today worked very well. It may have possibly contributed to the relative shortage of goals but in a safety first set up it was faultless. With that in mind McNamara will be very pleased with Robertson. Can't really imagine an occasion when we'll line up like that again. I don't know how others saw it but I thought it looked as if it was a 2-3-1-2-2 with width :unsure: .

My own interpretation was that it was a 4-1-2-3 in defence (O'Donnell/Paton/Archie/Sinclair as back 4, Robertson in front, Cairney/Rowser midfield and front 3), switching to a 3-2-2-3 in attack (Archie, Robertson, Paton at the back, Sinclair/O'Donnell high up on wings).

In cup football it doesn't matter how you win...as long as you do.

On the day we could have won by 9 or 10 goals, I recall us missing 3 or 4 good chances in the opening 15mins.

Erskine couldn't seem to get a pass to one of his team-mates, but the horrid conditions did not help.

We are safely through to the next round and we scored one of the fastest goals in Scottish Cup history. Really couldn't have asked for more. Well done lads, now keep it up for Wednesday.

C'mon The Jags. :fan:

I was at Culter last week but not at Fortress Firhill this week.

Good work by the lads and I will be able to chase that wee sh@te Culter fan that came looking for me at work last Monday when I see him next.

Mon the Jags....Onwards and upwards....

My own interpretation was that it was a 4-1-2-3 in defence (O'Donnell/Paton/Archie/Sinclair as back 4, Robertson in front, Cairney/Rowser midfield and front 3), switching to a 3-2-2-3 in attack (Archie, Robertson, Paton at the back, Sinclair/O'Donnell high up on wings).

Much the same really. Paton & Archie played well behind the full backs and Robertson as centrally defensive in midfield as you can get.

i think the 12-15 should score chances is a bit OTT, maybe 8 or 9! I was in new york last saturday and was waiting on my dad texting me with all the goals so was raging when i heard we drew. i was on my way to the world trade centre memorial when the game finished so I had just heard about one disaster before visiting the site of another!

i was happy with todays showing, it could have been alot more and we did take our foot of the gas, mind we hit the bar twice and the keeper had a great save in the second half down to his right aswell.

i liked the way we started the game, we always take the kick off then punt it out for a throw in, but right away cairney and elliott charged towards them and they pat their shants and we scored 9 secs later.

im surprised we didnt attack down their left more in the 2nd half, o'donnell should have ripped the chubby at left back a new ersehole as he was breathing out it for 40 mins of the 2nd half!

good shift jags, now onto somerset and to win the scottish.

rednyelarmy

i think the 12-15 should score chances is a bit OTT, maybe 8 or 9!

rednyelarmy

BBC suggests there were five shots on target and six off. Culter had zero of either. I don't think we can criticise the players for not scoring enough, once we went four up they'll have been thinking about Tuesday night. Fans can moan about entertainment, but if we sat on a four goal lead against the likes of Dundee or Falkirk there would be no complaints.

Terrible finishing. I wasn't that happy with that, to be honest. We had about 12-15 'should score' sort of chances, so to only get 4 is actually quite concerning.

I suppose since it's the cup it doesn't matter but our strikers need to put the easy ones away Elliot shouldve had a hat trick in the first 5 mins but as long as I see a victory on Wednesday I will not be carin

i'll probably post more in the morning, but i sat post match in the star... i'm going to be a positive pain in the tits, the club can do no wrong, wind these tits up who see no wrong!

i got back to paisley and thought, what the fck, what did i just pay to watch there. see you in the morning.

i can't fake it. that was fckin shockin. lazy lazy bstards!!!

Who else missed the first goal? I was half way up the South Drive when it went in.

Lets face it, it was a game that should never have happened in the first place. Two of our goals were long balls which were defended very poorly and we benefited from. Four goals, which could and maybe should have been more but we were unlucky with the header and Cairney's freekick against the bar.

We will need to be far better if we want a positive result against Ayr on Wednesday. No tippy tappy, dilly-dallying around the box and taking too many touches. We need to get ruthless in front of goal.

No but I expected a decent performance from Thistle, which is was not. If we play like that against Ayr then we'll get pumped.

take it the conditions dont count then,,,, thought we did ok until 4th goal went in then it was seeing out time without any injuries.............................................

take it the conditions dont count then,,,, thought we did ok until 4th goal went in then it was seeing out time without any injuries.............................................

I'm glad we got that early goal because the players still looked nervous until Cairney scored.

Seeing as Airdrie beat another junior team 11-0, the outlook isn't good.

...I thought Stewart had a decent game too - a lot of running and nice wee flicks and passes around the box. I was willing him to get a goal but it wisnae to be!

Credit where it's due: his holding-up play was excellent.

...Fans can moan about entertainment, but if we sat on a four goal lead against the likes of Dundee or Falkirk there would be no complaints.

You're joking, of course: if we played either of those two off the park and had 4 goals by around halftime, we'd just manage to squeeze in a 4-4 draw - everyone on here knows that! :lol:

....We need to get ruthless in front of goal.

Absolutely!

WTF did u expect? One team was tryin to win the game while the other was on damage limitations. Did u expect Culter to come and have a go?

I expected our full time professionals to run rings around Culter and make them look like exactly what they are, the weather obviously had a bit of an impact but the second half in particular was awful to watch. I also expect all of the players to play to their complete maximum after the shambles of last week, many of them didn't.

The idea we took our foot off the gas at 4 to conserve energy for Wednesday is ridiculous.

Gala Fairydean aren't junior.

They should have been using yesterday to score as many goals as possible. I think we slowed down and played the game at culter's pace after a while, and this was exactly the problem last saturday. 4-0 isn't even an average scoreline against a team of culter's standard.

Over two games, we scored 5 goals against a side not even recognised as good in the grand scheme of junior football. Two and a half goals a game on average is really poor, especially when you take into account that we conceded in getting them.

I expected our full time professionals to run rings around Culter and make them look like exactly what they are, the weather obviously had a bit of an impact but the second half in particular was awful to watch. I also expect all of the players to play to their complete maximum after the shambles of last week, many of them didn't.

The idea we took our foot off the gas at 4 to conserve energy for Wednesday is ridiculous.

More than a bit I would suggest. If the conditions had been like that up at Culter we might not have even made the replay.

Btw unrelated but I thought the pitch held up really well. Was anticipating a quagmire coming so quick after the rugger.

Yes, but it's a good example of the lack of heart in this team: the gulf in standards was obvious, but wasn't reflected in goals. Scoring just one in the second half, in particular, against part-time opposition that was tiring while facing a gale, is sub-standard. Bare pass marks.

I agree with this. I don't think it was professionally done at all. Yes, after the 4th goal went in you could say what's the point, but the point is that a professional team should have stamped their professionalism all over the opponents. Instead of running up a goal tally that we and everybody else would remember for a long time, the lack of heart (and effort) showed up again, along with the useless sideways passes or wee triangular tip-taps.

Aaron Sinclair's passing is about the worst I can remember seeing in any player; he overhits and misses just about every one. A shame, because on a run he's great to watch.

The insistence on playing low very fast balls to our forwards as they're running back towards our own goal with one or two defenders on them is terrible to watch. The forward either fails to control the ball, or gets tackled and dispossessed 9 times out of 10.

But, best first 5 minutes I've seen in a long time!