Are We Being Unfair To Mcnamara?

Auld Jag

Some good points there. On managers:

Successful (i.e. did a superb job, or at least did well enough to keep just about everybody happy): McParland, Auld, Lambie

Failures and non-entities (in no particular order): Cormack, Johnstone, Clarke, Rooney, McLeod, Campbell, Whyte & Britton, McVeigh, Bryce, McCall.... I've probably forgotten others.

Willie Lamont???

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think part of the problem is that McNamara (like Britton and Whyte before him) comes across as being too chummy with the players - there's a distinct whiff of all pals. I also don't like the whole 'I've got this sitcom getting produced' which I think panders to the worst stereotypical Thistle fan guff there is.

But fundamentally, if McNamara's managerial ability (wherever/if it resides anywhere) was working it's magic on the eam - i.e. we were beating eams like Raith - he could do whatever the f*ck he wants and none of us would give two hoots. Lambie did it with the doos and it was OK, the whole Rangers thing with Lambie was OK too - can you imagine if rumours suggested McNamara was getting up to a similar sort of 'Celtic-minded' acivities? He'd get crucified!

What this team needs is a manager is a bampot who doesn't give a flying one what we think or what the players think. Put a team that wins on the park and he can spout as much keech in his post-match analysis as he wants....

What this team needs is a manager is a bampot who doesn't give a flying one what we think or what the players think. Put a team that wins on the park and he can spout as much keech in his post-match analysis as he wants....

like Dick Campbell???? :rolleyes:

well all apart from the winning team that is

Edited by jaggy

If Gus McPherson was ever our manager I would seriously consider never going back. Horrendous football , while sometimes effective ask any St Mirren fan how glad they were when he left.

This. Add in losing a cup final to a team with 9 men.

QoS this season have been by far the worst side that I've seen this season. Their tactics in the cup game were an absolute disgrace. 10 men behind the ball virtually the whole game with big aimless punts up the park. Sad thing is, it worked.

As glad as they were when he won them promotion, kept them up, and got them to a cup final? (Albeit they lost to 9 men)

I don't neccesarily think he's the man for us, but I find the McPherson is the "anti-football" stuff a bit irrelevant, he's won this league, and has proven track record in SPL, he's done well for himself however he's gone about it. But the fact he's at QOS probably says it all.

Yes I do think that we are being a little unfair to Jackie. First of all, I think he has at times been a little unlucky. Remember the start we had - Dundee, Hamilton, Falkirk and Hamilton again. We could have easily won all 4, but ended up with just a point after some bizarre refereeing decisions. The fact that we didn't win them maybe contains the reason that Jackie is under threat. Now I will admit that I have been to just 3 games this season (I live in Stockport and would go to more if I could) however what I have seen is that Jackie has tightened up the defence significantly. Last season we looked like a bombscare for every ball that came into the box. Although we still look vulnerable to free kicks, we now look far more organised and that can be seen from the fact that (until the Livvy game) no one had put 3 past us in the league. Sorting out the defence doesn't make for entertaining football, but ask any Ross fan if they are bothered about that. Sadly for Jackie it looks to have been at the expense of the forwards, so with them being goal shy and Fox dropping his form from last season, I do think that Jackie is close to putting out a Jags side that could challenge. If we had scored 10 more goals (or let in 10 less) we would be challenging, such is the fine line between success and failure in this league.

Having said all that, I do think that something has changed since the turn of the year. I don't know if Jackie is trying something different (Paton to holding midfield has worked for Paton, but has it worked for the team ?). I hope that Jackie can turn it round as I think that he will one day be a realy good manager. I just hope that he is given time at Firhill to do it for us.

Yes I do think that we are being a little unfair to Jackie. First of all, I think he has at times been a little unlucky. Remember the start we had - Dundee, Hamilton, Falkirk and Hamilton again. We could have easily won all 4, but ended up with just a point after some bizarre refereeing decisions. The fact that we didn't win them maybe contains the reason that Jackie is under threat. Now I will admit that I have been to just 3 games this season (I live in Stockport and would go to more if I could) however what I have seen is that Jackie has tightened up the defence significantly. Last season we looked like a bombscare for every ball that came into the box. Although we still look vulnerable to free kicks, we now look far more organised and that can be seen from the fact that (until the Livvy game) no one had put 3 past us in the league. Sorting out the defence doesn't make for entertaining football, but ask any Ross fan if they are bothered about that. Sadly for Jackie it looks to have been at the expense of the forwards, so with them being goal shy and Fox dropping his form from last season, I do think that Jackie is close to putting out a Jags side that could challenge. If we had scored 10 more goals (or let in 10 less) we would be challenging, such is the fine line between success and failure in this league.

Having said all that, I do think that something has changed since the turn of the year. I don't know if Jackie is trying something different (Paton to holding midfield has worked for Paton, but has it worked for the team ?). I hope that Jackie can turn it round as I think that he will one day be a realy good manager. I just hope that he is given time at Firhill to do it for us.

Damn, just when a juicy lynching party was building up some steam, along comes common sense!

Edited by Jaggernaut

And if I am allowed one more observation that realy gets on my wick, can we stop all this pish about entertaining football. Supporters want their club to win. Period. If Jackie had a team that had won every match tis season 1-0 with games tied down in midfield, would we be giving him pelters ? If we had lost every game 5-4 with umpteen more chances hitting the woodwork would we be criticising him ? Which of these Jags teams would bring in more supporters ?

That's the fine line, dick.

In my 25 years as a jags fan, I've only seen a couple of "winning" jags teams. All under lambie I think, and all were entertaining, with a mix of fight and skill.

I've never seen a successful jags team that were fckin rotten to watch. A gus McPherson team, if you will.

I have seem plenty of middle of the road thistle teams who can be best described as mid table mediocrity. So much so that across our support this mid table mediocrity has become accepted as the norm.

So if this is now the norm. Is it so bad to expect this team to entertain? Give value for money and excite me? And above all, show some fight?

I don't think being a thistle fan is about watching a winning team every week, but I don't think it's about accepting that we are shit either.

To me, thistle is about entertainment, fight and players giving their best. Their best might not be good enough, but at least they give it. If come the end of the season that brings success, or mid table or relegation, then so be it. At least they gave their all, played to their best and tried to entertain.

Right now I only see 2 or 3 players in that squad, 4 at most who I could put in that bracket. Rowsen, Cairney, Doolan and Erskine. 5 if you include Archie, but he's done.

Right now they try their best, yes they make mistakes, but they give their all, they run themselves ragged, try to entertain, fight and give shift.

That's all I ask of a thistle player, and right now they are the only ones who I see doing it.

The rest just go through the motions.

In a word, no. The team has no fight and doesn't seem to try most games. This has been going on for a while and McNamara hasn't seemed to have done anything to change/motivate the team, set peices are still a shambles as well with non-existent marking. Unfortunately, I still think he will be there next season.

We make the same mistakes every game.

We have had the same obvious weaknesses every game.

The players are not motivated.

All 3 of those things are the managers fault, pure and simple. Before people moan about budgets and so on he has not improved the team he has and is clearly a hopeless motivator.

I wouldn't say I've ever been fully behind Jackie but not to the extent that I've been baying for his blood. I question a lot of his decisions, especially his substitutions, apparent lack of tactical awareness and using his "empty" budget to recruit a centre-half and centre midfielder when we are crying out for a goalscorer.

He has been touted, by some, as a sort of genius for moving Paton to midfield. When will people realise that this is of absolutely no benefit to the team? It's no coincidence, in my opinion, that our form has totally fell away since he moved from right-back. Hopefully his suspension makes some of the gullible fools (am I talking about Jackie and Sid or some Thistle fans...you decide) notice this.

I've got a big thing about managers displaying emotion. I deplore managers who lean against the dugout like they're watching the sun-set or sit down like they're in their garden. This is probably because most of my younger years were spent watching Lambie teams with him and Gerry Collins usually going mental at the touchline. I cannot comprehend how Jackie or Sid can command any sort of authority in that dressing room in the same manner as a Lambie or other modern managers of a similar style can.

Like Potty Trained, all I ask from a Jags side is 100% blood and guts effort - nothing more, nothing less. I can put up with limited players giving their all; I cannot suffer evidently decent players not putting a shift in.

If the rumours that the players train from 11 until 12.30 are true, Jackie should be bulleted now. I've heard and read all the articles that proclaim that short, high-intensity training sessions are the most effective for conditioning but they don't take into account personal training, skill development, tactical training, etc. If we are paying players full-time money to essentially train on a part-time basis then we are bigger mugs than I had us down for.

Edited by Armand2

I don't think the 1.5 hour training sessions thought up by sports scientists are meant to be coupled with sleeping in til 11am then having coco pops for breakfast either. They're meant to be PROFESSIONAL footballers, but it seems a few of them have the lifestyle of a benefits scrounger who plays a bit of football every now and then.

I agree with everything potty trained said apart from the inclusion of that clown Erskine. His miss on Saturday now sees him in the 'done' category.

Not seen the miss, but I include him as he never hides. If he makes a mistake, he gets up and gives it another go. He is probably the only player in the squad who can beat a man and play an accurate cross with either foot.

So he's a gangling awkward, fall over his own shoe laces type, but I actually quite like that. I like the fact that he isn't perfect... Because of the above.

And it's because of the above I included him. I'll clap a player who runs. Makes an effort, doesn't hide and gives his all. And he is one of the few in the team you can say that about!

I'd have him running himself into the ground, occasionally making an arse of it, ahead of some lazy waster with all the talent and no drive to show it. Any day of the week.

Not seen the miss, but I include him as he never hides. If he makes a mistake, he gets up and gives it another go. He is probably the only player in the squad who can beat a man and play an accurate cross with either foot. So he's a gangling awkward, fall over his own shoe laces type, but I actually quite like that. I like the fact that he isn't perfect... Because of the above. And it's because of the above I included him. I'll clap a player who runs. Makes an effort, doesn't hide and gives his all. And he is one of the few in the team you can say that about! I'd have him running himself into the ground, occasionally making an arse of it, ahead of some lazy waster with all the talent and no drive to show it. Any day of the week.

So for that reason you'd rather have Erskine on the park than, say, Simon Donnelly? So would I.

He has been touted, by some, as a sort of genius for moving Paton to midfield. When will people realise that this is of absolutely no benefit to the team? It's no coincidence, in my opinion, that our form has totally fell away since he moved from right-back. Hopefully his suspension makes some of the gullible fools (am I talking about Jackie and Sid or some Thistle fans...you decide) notice this.

Anyone who takes longer that 10 seconds to look at the league table will be able to tell you the reason we not in contention for the league is because we don’t score enough goals. To blame Paton, a sitting midfield player for this is simply bizarre.

If we had scored maybe another 10 goals in the league then we would probably be in with a chance of promotion. So players like Ian Flannigan, Tommy Stewart, and Chris Erskine who have failed to produce should be taking the blame. Jackie re-signed the first two so of course he has made mistakes with these players.