Attendances

Lenziejag2

For the sake of clarity, it should be stressed that Lenziejag and Lenziejag2 are two entirely different people who both happen to contribute regularly to this forum! I am Lenziejag2. Tonight's attendances: Albion Rovers v Forfar - 249 - with Jags Craigen and Elliot performing creditably for opposing sides; East Fife v Stranraer - 441; and there was also an SFL3 fixture in Govan v Annan Athletic which pulled in 42135 spectators - evidently no Christmas shopping problems in that part of the City of Glasgow!

and there was also an SFL3 fixture in Govan v Annan Athletic which pulled in 42135 spectators - evidently no Christmas shopping problems in that part of the City of Glasgow!

In the interests of balance it is their lowest league crowd of the season by around 7000, i do believe.

How many do I want turning up ? Enough for clubs to at least make ends meet and maybe start growing. That's usually the goal for every business. Anyway, my comment wasn't about how many I want, it was a comment that in my perception crowds are declining and if they keep falling clubs will go out of business.Morton had 1300 vs Airdrie on Saturday. Expecting them to bring 1000+ in my opinion is optimistic

It is poor, but there are reasons for it.

Namely:

1. Dumbartons shocking form so far

2. The fact this game had been postponed 4 times already, and the uncertainty of it if would go ahead until late afternoon

3. The Christmas Factor.

4. Having to pay £15 to get in. Footie far too expensive for a lot of folk, especially this time of year.

Yeah, BBC report says Craigen scored 2 for Forfar with Elliot setting up both Albion goals...

Good news! There should be plenty of competition for places in January.

On the subject of attendances, all clubs must improve the product on offer - better quality football, catering and other facilities. Football is competing with other forms of entertainment (theatres, cinemas, clubs etc), especially at this time of year. Family budgets are stretched to the limit - pantos, presents and higher bills. Our club is trying harder than most with it's free kids offer and other pricing packages.

I agree with kni's assessment of the context - entirely clear!

For what the BBC describes as a "pulsating match" tonight - St M v M'well - there was a crowd of 4023. This might be the sort of crowd that the Jags need to be aiming at even prior to our hoped-for promotion. Also this evening, the Glasgow v Edinburgh rugby recorded a crowd of 6000. I beg to suggest that that sounds too much like a "round number"!

For what the BBC describes as a "pulsating match" tonight - St M v M'well - there was a crowd of 4023. This might be the sort of crowd that the Jags need to be aiming at even prior to our hoped-for promotion. Also this evening, the Glasgow v Edinburgh rugby recorded a crowd of 6000. I beg to suggest that that sounds too much like a "round number"!

2,842 less than the corresponding fixture at Firhill last season. 1,062 less than 2 seasons ago.

Off topic but as regards the rugby last night - I think we should be grateful Warriors left Firhill - not in anyway being ungracious but think of the pitch - it was churned into a quagmire.

Back to attendances ........................ 4,000 + at St Mirren v Motherwell was pretty good considering the weather and the time of year.

Watched a bit of the Warriors game last night and their pitch at Scotstoun was horrendous already. The loss of their income looks like it may be well worth it if the team continue their excellent home form.

Which is what so many of us were saying last season and the ones before that. You could see that Jackie and even McCall before him were trying to play football, but we were at a considerable disadvantage because of the horrendous playing surface at Firhill.

I think having a decent pitch is one of the major factors to our excellent home form this season.

Initially I thought maybe that was the capacity but it is over 9,000 according to Wikipedia, I've not been for a while and I don't think they are doing as well as the past couple of seasons. There also really isn't the tribal mentality of football and I imagine they lost a fair few fans when they moved to Scotstoun. The typical eggby demographic would suggest its going to be your Bearsden and West End well to do folk that go and watch, Firhill was just about do-able for them but I can't imagine those who combined the egg with a few drinks in the West End are arsed about going all the way out there. A flat pint of Tennents in McNabbs isn't as appealing as a Peroni in Ashton Lane pre/post match.

Don't put your house or even your shirt on that! Our Boxing Day crowds over recent years have been nowhere near the 5000+ we had against Dunfermline.

But in recent years, our season has been over before Christmas.

We're top and playing in a top of the league clash. The potential for a massive crowd is there.

I think the crowd will be at the higher end of the 4000 mark and the atmosphere will be good. I'm sure there will be a lot of kids around, not sure if they are counted in the attendance however. A home win will set us up nicely as morton and pars will have a go at each other in the game after.

I think the crowd will be at the higher end of the 4000 mark and the atmosphere will be good. I'm sure there will be a lot of kids around, not sure if they are counted in the attendance however. A home win will set us up nicely as morton and pars will have a go at each other in the game after.

CHILDREN ARE INCLUDED IN THE ATTENDANCE!

• Like 1

All the Morton fans I've spoke to seem to think they'll take 2,000 to the game. If so then we'll need to stick some of them in the main stand.

If they bring anywhere near 2,000 then I would say a 5k attendance is almost guaranteed - as there has been a lot of interest in the game from lapsed jags fans as well.

All the Morton fans I've spoke to seem to think they'll take 2,000 to the game. If so then we'll need to stick some of them in the main stand.

If they bring anywhere near 2,000 then I would say a 5k attendance is almost guaranteed - as there has been a lot of interest in the game from lapsed jags fans as well.

Considering their average home attendance this season, including away fans is 1,872, it'll never happen. 1,000 would be a good travelling support.

Considering their average home attendance this season, including away fans is 1,872, it'll never happen. 1,000 would be a good travelling support.

This one will attract a good number of lapsed Morton fans as well due to its importance and locality, though. 2000 is optimistic, but I can see them bringing 1500 through, and we'll do well to be prepared just in case.