Livingston On Saturday

peagreenboy

Perhaps it is too early to ask this question, but considering the country seems waterlogged, what is the likelihood of this game being on?

It'll take a couple of bus trips for me to get there, so it would be nice to be sure the game will go ahead - and not called off at half past two, or something.

Unless we don't get anymore heavy rain between now and Saturday I would say it will be off. You never know right enough.

I really hope it's on as we need to get back to winning ways. Having too many games in hand is a nightmare and definitely puts you at a disadvantage when the fixtures pile up.

S'OD is missing. Lawless is 50/50 from the official website.

I'd play(if Lawless makes it):

Fox

Muirhead Archibald Balatoni Sinclair

Paton Bannigan

Lawless Welsh Erskine

Craig

If no Lawless

Fox

Muirhead Balatoni Archibald Sinclair

Paton Forbes

Erskine Welsh Bannigan

Craig

I think if we keep the same shape, best option is to bring in Doolan or McGuigan (I know McGuigan's a big guy but he's quick and mobile for a guy his size).

So:

Fox

Paton Bannigan

Erskine Forbes Doolan

Craig

With Welsh on the bench. Although maybe Welsh can do Lawless's role, not sure. If manager decides to alter formation a little then can definitely see both Welsh and Forbes in the team. It's really tough to decide which shows we have options. Welsh had to come in last game even though he wasn't fully fit because Forbes was out but with Forbes back and Lawless likely to be out I think Doolan is a more natural replacement. But then Mcnamara has a habit of leaving guys in the team until they get injured or play badly.

Edited by Mr Bunny

S'OD is missing. Lawless is 50/50 from the official website.

I'd play(if Lawless makes it):

Fox

Muirhead Archibald Balatoni Sinclair

Paton Bannigan

Lawless Welsh Erskine

Craig

If no Lawless

Fox

Paton Murray

Erskine Welsh Bannigan

Craig

I think we need to start working the Paton Murray defensive mid combination back into our line-ups to regain our early season form. So I've edited your second line up accordingly. I didn't edit the first line up as I don't believe Bannigan deserves being kicked out the team (though I think Murray may be the better option).

Assuming Lawless is out Jackie may push Forbes forward and leave the box to box stuff to Welsh and Bannigan. Livingston have a lot of pace in their side and I'd be concerned about playing Murray. That's no disrespect to Shuggie just it might not be the best game for him to return to the line up. A lot will depend on what role Jackie has in mind for Welsh. Sean is unlikely to be completely match fit so maybe going end to end for 90 mins will be out.

Assuming Lawless is out Jackie may push Forbes forward and leave the box to box stuff to Welsh and Bannigan. Livingston have a lot of pace in their side and I'd be concerned about playing Murray. That's no disrespect to Shuggie just it might not be the best game for him to return to the line up.

Livingston are the only side that Murray has played against twice. Maybe his experience could be a vital part of breaking down Livingstons, mainly youthful side.

It's a great dilemma to have though!

Our Best midfield 3 in my opinion is Paton, Welsh and Forbes. I have thought for a while that Bannigan would do well playing just off the striker and with lawless an injury doubt this is his chance.

............................Fox

Muirhead.....Balatoni.....Archibald…. Sinclair

.........................Paton......................

..........…… Welsh…………..Forbes

………….. Erskine............Bannigan

....................... Craig

Subs

Smith

Murray

Mcguigan

Lawless

Doolan

Edited by Alan Murray

Livingston are the only side that Murray has played against twice. Maybe his experience could be a vital part of breaking down Livingstons, mainly youthful side.

My concern is mainly Shuggie's return to the side would be better against a less pacy team. If we'd played on Wednesday and Murray got even 15-20 mins I'd be less wary.

Our Best midfield 3 in my opinion is Paton, Welsh and Forbes. I have thought for a while that Bannigan would do well playing just off the striker and with lawless an injury doubt this is his chance.

That's an option but one of Stuart's attributes is his ability to get up and down the park tirelessly. Against Airdrie he was by far our fittest player come those last 10-15 minutes when we chased a winner.

At international level Scotland seem to be pretty relaxed about playing full-backs on the "wrong" side in recent years. Could there be an argument for Bannigan (or Sinclair) at right-back, as we have more options in midfield?

Yes, let's do what Scotland do - they've been so successful in recent year after all.

At international level Scotland seem to be pretty relaxed about playing full-backs on the "wrong" side in recent years. Could there be an argument for Bannigan (or Sinclair) at right-back, as we have more options in midfield?

The only issue I'd have with that option, is that a lot of our game, from the flanks, seems to come from first time crosses into the box. Playing a full back on the "wrong" side means they would have to cut back onto their stronger foot to get a decent cross in, which might negate the pace of our counter attacks.

Yeah and look at our international record in recent years

Yes, let's do what Scotland do - they've been so successful in recent year after all.

Germany do it too. Phillip Lahm being the prime example.

If the players are good enough they should be able to play any position. Are our players good enough?

Team for livi

Fox

Paton muirhead balatoni sInclair

Forbes Murray bannigan

Lawless/Doolan Craig erskine

Murray captain

We miss o'donnell however IMHO moving muirhead to cover right back is not the answer

Muirhead has been a revelation at centre back

So we lose o'donnell move probably our best defender to right back seems to be a bit of a double whammy

I also feel we are missing a bit of a dig in midfield

Murray has been over the course a few times

I know people will say Archie has done really well recently and he has but as a stopper

But I feel that muirhead can do an Archie but also has the ability and confidence to carry a ball forward and draw opposing players and create openings for our midfield and forwards

IMHO

Archie has been solid the last few games, don't know what games folk have been watching dropping Archie and playing Murray?, hes guaranteed to get booked halfing wee Scougall after 10 mins and then we're filling our nappies waiting on him getting sent off.. again.

fox

muirhead

balatoni

archie

sinky

paton

forbes

welsh

bannigan

erskine

craig.

3-1 Jags, Craig (2) Forbes.

Fox

Team for livi

Fox

Paton muirhead balatoni sInclair

Forbes Murray bannigan

Lawless/Doolan Craig erskine

Murray captain

We miss o'donnell however IMHO moving muirhead to cover right back is not the answer

Muirhead has been a revelation at centre back

So we lose o'donnell move probably our best defender to right back seems to be a bit of a double whammy

I also feel we are missing a bit of a dig in midfield

Murray has been over the course a few times

I know people will say Archie has done really well recently and he has but as a stopper

But I feel that muirhead can do an Archie but also has the ability and confidence to carry a ball forward and draw opposing players and create openings for our midfield and forwards

IMHO

There is another similar option. Play Paton at right-back or right wing-back. Muirhead could play in the centre of the defence or as the defensive midfielder. Muirhead has played in midfield for Annan.

It's not so much dropping Archie for anything he's done wrong rather allowing Muirhead and Balatoni to play in the centre of defence together. I don't think it's a coincidence that the team looked the most defensively solid in the league when they were a partnership.

Cowdenbeath (a) 1-0

Airdrie (h) 7-0

Falkirk (a) 0-0

Livingston (h) 2-0

26mins v Raith Rovers (0 conceded)

36mins v Hamilton (0 conceded).

Almost 5 full matches in total without conceding a goal.

Plus saying Archie has been solid the last few games is stretching it. Morton he was one of our better players but his switching off against Raith Rovers could've cost the team a couple of points.

Plus saying Archie has been solid the last few games is stretching it. Morton he was one of our better players but his switching off against Raith Rovers could've cost the team a couple of points.

I wouldn't say he switched off against Raith, he was just done for pace, which is always a risk when you get to his age. He was excellent against Morton and good against Airdrie, so if he's up to another match there's no reason not to give him one. However, I can see a fast Livi team running rings round him if we leave him on his own at corners.

Anyway, I think it would be interesting to play Bannigan or Sinclair at RB, and I think it would be a better option than playing Paton or Muirhead there. However, if we're going to need Bannigan in midfield (likely), then Muirhead is the next best option. He's no SOD by any means, but he can still contribute something from there.