Just In. Cowdenbeath

potty trained

Although it didn't always come off today. I really enjoy the style this team play with. Defence was stretched at times purely because we played 2v2 for most of the game. I can't remember a Thistle team that played with the full backs pushed on so much. Great to watch and even if they don't win league, they will have been great value for money at Firhill this year.

Relax big fella...we will win the league....as long as we keep working hard and winning 50:50 games.

Today wasn't one of those, we were the better team by a fair bit.

Paul Paton was my mon of the match, great performance and a real hunger to win.

Bannigan was fantastic, what a player he is. Thought Erskine tried his heart out today and controlled our attacking play - particularly in the second half. Balatoni made an error for their goal, it happens. When you bounce back by scoring another great goal and then continuing to have a fine game thereafter, it makes it a little easier to forgive him, though. His distribution from the back is also first-class. Wasn't too keen on Welsh at right-back, to be honest. And Archibald gave me a few heart-in-mouth moments, particularly a sliced clearance that fell straight to their striker. Forbes was OK, didn't see much from him that would allow me to echo the previous comments that he had a great game. Despite grabbing a goal, don't think Craig was at his best. He plays on the shoulder of the defence and so naturally was offside a fair bit. Paton was his typical self, giving 100%. Sinclair was alright. Craigen (Craigen that is, with an E - learn our player's names lads! ;)) started well but drifted out of the game by the second half. Fox didn't have much to do really.

Was really hoping we'd score from the corner the referee conceded!

Bannigan was fantastic, what a player he is. Thought Erskine tried his heart out today and controlled our attacking play - particularly in the second half. Balatoni made an error for their goal, it happens. When you bounce back by scoring another great goal and then continuing to have a fine game thereafter, it makes it a little easier to forgive him, though. His distribution from the back is also first-class. Wasn't too keen on Welsh at right-back, to be honest. And Archibald gave me a few heart-in-mouth moments, particularly a sliced clearance that fell straight to their striker. Forbes was OK, didn't see much from him that would allow me to echo the previous comments that he had a great game. Despite grabbing a goal, don't think Craig was at his best. He plays on the shoulder of the defence and so naturally was offside a fair bit. Paton was his typical self, giving 100%. Sinclair was alright. Craigen (Craigen that is, with an E - learn our player's names lads! ;)) started well but drifted out of the game by the second half. Fox didn't have much to do really.

Was really hoping we'd score from the corner the referee conceded!

He's a gem of a player.

Just relieved to get the three points. We should of finished them off but they were still dangerous now and then.

That 15-20 minute spell in the first half when Forbes was whipping in all sorts of dangerous balls was great. At 1v1, you could sense we were going get a second before half time and thankfully we did via another great ball and finish from Balatoni.

Paton was immense, as was Bannigan. Those two covered so much ground, their work ethic is unquestionable. I'd go as far as to say Bannigan has been our player of the season. I havn't seen one bad game from him at all and he's getting better and better. I think the game simplified when the ball isn't falling in the box the way we want, Forbes with the set pieces is vital. He needs to start in all of the away games, especially considering the tight parks at Central Park and Cappielow.

Craig done well for his goal, nice finish. I think we can expect him to start for the next couple of weeks considering who and where we will be playing.

Edit: I thought Craigen's movement and link up play was good in the first half, he is a clever player. He may have been to keen at times to rush into pockets of space with no support around him but he dug in and for the first half hour I thought he was our best midfielder. He faded in the second half for sure but maybe that is to be expected. I thought it was only once we settled that Paton and Bannigan really stole the show and began to shine.

Edited by northernsoul

Hahaha reminds me of the time a few years ago against Ross County when I was sitting in the JHS poised to get tore intae a steamin hot pie I'd queued about 20 minutes for. A rogue doo appeared overhead out of nowhere and shat right intae my pie! I had to throw nearly half of it away!

I share your pain but you clearly lack ingenuity. :doh: I'd have passed it off as a new lasagna pie with creamy bechamel sauce and offered my mate first bite. Not wanting to appear a total ponce, he'd remove the offending piece, no doubt compliment McGhees for their culinary craftsmanship, and return about three quarters of it back to YT. So winners all round; including the pigeon who in a past life was probably an Airdire fan and who was hell bent in exacting revenge for us taking the piss out of John Martin, Engerland and the KKK.

• Like 1

He's a gem of a player.

Bannigan was outstanding and is as creative a player as I've seen at Firhill. Chris Erskine also showed his worth to the team and made sure he got involved in the game by changing flanks and generally becoming available. When he's busy - and okay not everything he tries will come off - he can create havoc. Great entertainment and a joy to watch.

Funny game yesterday, we control a game but still looked jittery; especially last few minutes. TBH, can believe that we didn't score more but maybe therein lies the problem. But for team effort, and bearing in mind we were playing with guys covering etc, a good win against a solid (in the first half especially) well organised team. As C'beath tired I thought we'd have scored a few but for some strange reason this didn't happen; maybe on another day. Happy with three points.

Special mention also to the opposing keeper who had a good game IMO.

As already said by others it was indeed a strange game. Paton and Bannigan were outstanding but the whole team played well as a whole and individually yet we were glad to see out time against not exactly impressive competition. Just one of those games where you should just be happy to take the three points. We'll play worse and win easier against better opposition.

Jackie's blaming Conrad for the goal but I thought Archie didn't help by getting too tight to the big forward who was clearly going to win in the air. Balatoni got wrong footed but should possibly have read the head flick better. Feel tho' it was a combined error.

I didn't hear any of the usual suspects having a go at Erskine yesterday. I'd love to believe they've learned the error of their ways as the lad worked his socks off. It didn't quite come off for him but his first touch was near perfect, better than ever in fact, as was his interaction with teammates.

• Like 1

Thought we played some great stuff yesterday, but it was just one of those games where the ball wouldn't fall for us in the box. So many crosses and passes that were just behind or beyond players. Having said that we did hit the woodwork twice and their keeper made a couple of quality saves, on top of us scoring twice. It does make for a nervy last few minutes though when you haven't got that 2 goal cushion.

Erskine was a joy to watch for the 2nd week in a row. They just couldn't handle him and he deserved more out of the game than he got. Bannigan and Paton were also terrific.

• Like 1

anyone spot why the referee disallowed the goal in the second half? speculation round me was that it was a foul on the keeper but in spite of being in line no one had a clear view.

.we were in line with the goal,

looked perfectly good to us.

could only been a foul of some kind,

I didn't see it.

need to look at the hi-lites!

Edited by Davie Thistle

Think we played reasonably well yesterday but we are very vurnerable in the middle of defence, from teams being direct or when our play is broken down we are caught out of position. Perhaps both Archie and Conrad are a bit too similar and neither is as dominating enough to attack and win the first ball with the other in a more traditional sweeper role. Hopfully we may play a slighly differt style next week as Cornbeef will have more possession at home.

• Like 1

Think we played reasonably well yesterday but we are very vurnerable in the middle of defence, from teams being direct or when our play is broken down we are caught out of position. Perhaps both Archie and Conrad are a bit too similar and neither is as dominating enough to attack and win the first ball with the other in a more traditional sweeper role. Hopfully we may play a slighly differt style next week as Cornbeef will have more possession at home.

That's exactly how I see it too.Both Arch and Balatoni are playing well individually but not as a partnership.Jackie's got a call to make in dropping one of them and bringing Muirhead back into the middle.

That's exactly how I see it too.Both Arch and Balatoni are playing well individually but not as a partnership.Jackie's got a call to make in dropping one of them and bringing Muirhead back into the middle.

If it comes down to that, then Conrad is capable of scoring from set pieces. Archie ain't. Muirhead might be.