Mcmillan Or O'donnell?

ThickAsThieves

We've not got a right-back tied up yet, with deals on the table for Jordan McMillan and Stephen O'Donnell. The question that I'll put to you - esteemed members of this forum - is out of the two, who would you rather have signed up? Ideally I'd get them both on board, but if you were forced to pick just one, who would it be?

We've not really seen too much of McMillan, but Pars fans rated him highly. He was their captain and according to them would be able to play at SPL level no problem. O'Donnell, when at his best is fantastic, a real attacking threat. He picked up an injury and since he came back hasn't played all that great, in my opinion of course.

For me - if forced - I'd go for O'Donnell. 3 years younger so could develop into an even better player than we've seen (which is very good). Called up to the U21s this year, there's real potential there and I trust that he'd be fine in the SPL.

Is this the general consensus then or do people see McMillan as the higher priority? Additional question, does anyone feel that we won't sign either of them?

Edited by ThickAsThieves

O'donnell before his injury was outstanding going forward, but in the same respect, McMillan looks great going forward.

Defending, all I notice is muirhead continually giving odonnell an earful, every time he makes a mistake... But then again, according to pars fans, McMillan wasn't great at defending.

Sign them both up. Have them both fighting for the position, with McMillan able to cover at centre half if required.

O'Donnell. Decent enough in defence, hopefully will improve, and can be brilliant on the attack. I liked the look of McMillan in his first couple of appearances for us, but wasn't impressed by what looked like a lack of interest in the final game at Dumbarton. But then, nobody was up to much that day.

As it has been said, the pre-injury form of O'Donnell was outstanding and I suspect if he hadn't broken his foot, he could have been away in January to bigger things such was the quality of his performances. His level of performance can be clearly linked to the state of his confidence and at the beginning of the season, he was flying.

His defensive game has never been great in my opinion but, much like Sinclair, his pace gets him out of situations often of his own making. Attacking-wise, he is still a bit inconsistent but we had great dependence on him as an outlet - almost as much as we relied on Twaddle under McCall - and that can be substantial responsibility for a young player.

McMillan is a strange one. I was delighted when he signed as I've rated him highly for a while. He came in against Raith and was outstanding for the time he spent on the pitch, in my opinion; I don't think we would have seen that game out had he not came on when Muirhead was sent off. But his performances against Dunfermline, his goal aside, and Dumbarton struck me as lackadaisical and he certainly didn't appear to be a player busting his nuts for a contract.

Really like to sign both for next year. O'Donnell is the better player in my opinion and has a lot of potential. He really improved last season and I think playing in the SPL will be very beneficial to him.

I feel that he may turn out to a better midfield player but not sure our current formation will allow that.

I think he is better staying with us for an at least another season. If he was to get his move and sit in the stand that would hurt his development. If he is playing regularly for us in the SPL he would make a strong case to get back into the under 21 Scotland squad.

McMillan is a good player with some SPL experience, added bonus that he can also play center back.

Genuinely can't see how any Thistle fan could say they'd rather have McMillan than O'Donnell. SOD dipped a bit, but we've barely seen anything of McMillan, and our team tore Dunfermline's defence apart everytime we played them this season.

I'd rather have Steven Saunders than McMillan, although wouldn't be too unhappy if McMillan stays, considering he could also cover as fourth choice right back.

Genuinely can't see how any Thistle fan could say they'd rather have McMillan than O'Donnell. SOD dipped a bit, but we've barely seen anything of McMillan, and our team tore Dunfermline's defence apart everytime we played them this season.

I'd rather have Steven Saunders than McMillan, although wouldn't be too unhappy if McMillan stays, considering he could also cover as fourth choice right back.

Tho' I'm in the both "camp" I've got to agree SOD should be the priority. I do tho reckon we need the likes of McMillan who would provide cover for two or three positions.

We also need a left sided defender ideally someone that can play centre back, full back and if lucky also wingback. Not that I think we should underestimate the onfield role Archie played last season but we'll need cover for Sinclair as well as replacing Archie. If one versatile player could suffice then it would free up money for elsewhere.