Killie Game

mhs

A big game this one. I think most people feel that was two points dropped against County. We really need to start winning at Firhill.

Don't think Killie have strengthened their team in the window yet so that is a slight bonus as we could have taken six points off them this season so far.

I feel quite a few changes are needed so I would drop Fox for Gallagher as I feel he needs it and has let us down recently, Gallaghers experience and vocal presence may help the defence.

Replace O'Donnell with McMillan as SOD's passing and tackling and positioning has been very poor the last two games. Most County attacks and goal build-ups ended up coming down our right.

Bring in Bannigan for Balatoni and move Muirhead back beside Gabby. Balatoni has been poor as well recently, so easily turned and winning little in the air.

Give Fraser a start ahead of Elliot - no explanation required as Elliot is just not a Premiership player ever. This would move Craigen out wider and more of an attacking role which suits him better, he isn't a defensive/holding midfielder.

Line up as a 4-2-3-1 or even 4-4-2 by pushing Lawless or Higgy up.

Gallagher

McMillan - Gabby - Muirhead - Sincy

Fraser - Bannigan

Craigen - Lawless - Higgy

Taylor

Edited by mhs

I missed all the games between Boxing Day and yesterday, surprised to see how the attitude towards SOD has changed in that short period, a lot of people on his back yesterday. I thought he played fairly well yesterday, I take it he was a mess in most/all of the last 3 games?

Has there not always been chat of putting McMillan in as defensive midfielder allowing Aero and Gabby to work the back line? I'm sure he has played there a couple of times but could be wrong.

Top of my drop list is Balatoni. I wouldn't start Elliot either. Jury out on playing Fox for me, dropping a keeper is a pretty bold move for any manager. Although history suggests he has the right attitude so maybe less of an issue with him.

Here's the line-up I'd like to see, with McMillan acting as DM.

Fox

SOD Balatoni Gabby ATS

Fraser McMillan Bannigan

Lawless Taylor Higgy

I hear what people are saying about Balatoni but there's a reason Aero was dropped from the defence - he's even slower.

I believe that Piccolo and Balatoni CAN'T play together. Aero and Gabby can, Balatoni is utterly honking.And give Fox a rest.

I believe that Piccolo and Balatoni CAN'T play together. Aero and Gabby can, Balatoni is utterly honking.And give Fox a rest.

It may be worth a shot but, as far as I can tell, Aero and Gabby have only played three full league matches together in defence. One was a 1-1 draw with Hibs; the other two were the utter thrashings we suffered at the hands of Aberdeen, where the defence was absolutely appalling. But I suppose we're shipping goals at the moment too, so why not give it a go now Gabby has settled in a bit. It's Muirhead's lack of pace that scares me.

Edited by Stewarty

Fox need dropped but I don't think Archie will do it.

As much as Gabby has improved he still ships a lot of goals with bad mistakes. I don't think he can cut it in Scotland.

If Muirhead is injured then replace him with Fraser and put Bannigan back in for Elliott.

3 points are a must.

Just looking at mhs and Stewarts suggested line ups and it is really striking how young and inexperienced our team is. We badly need at least one, probably two, experienced leader type players to help along our team and talk them through when they see mistakes developing and when games start to turn against us. Such a blow in this regard that Osbourne is out.

It may be worth a shot but, as far as I can tell, Aero and Gabby have only played three full league matches together in defence. One was a 1-1 draw with Hibs; the other two were the utter thrashings we suffered at the hands of Aberdeen, where the defence was absolutely appalling. But I suppose we're shipping goals at the moment too, so why not give it a go now Gabby has settled in a bit. It's Muirhead's lack of pace that scares me.

Compared to Balatoni's Usain Bolt like sprints!!!

I think Muirhead is a better option at the back than Balatoni, I actually think Chico the kit man is a better option than Conrad at the moment, and Chico looks slimmer too

Just looking at mhs and Stewarts suggested line ups and it is really striking how young and inexperienced our team is. We badly need at least one, probably two, experienced leader type players to help along our team and talk them through when they see mistakes developing and when games start to turn against us. Such a blow in this regard that Osbourne is out.

I was thinking that too and wondered what the average age is of our team compared to others and in particular Hearts, who just get sympathy from the media. I know that they can't do anything about it as a result of their embargo, but we shouldn't forget that we have a young side.

For me, its

........................ Gallacher ......................

McMillan .. Piccolo .. Balatoni .. Sinclair

............... Muirhead.. Fraser .................

.. Higginbotham .. Craigen .... Lawless ..

........................ Taylor ..........................

I agree Balatoni of late has been a bit crap but this formation still allows all three of our centre backs on the pitch and it is overall stronger. Piccolo is a great ball winner, but he needs to remember he is a centre back and to stop running all over the place like a one man mission. It puts Balatoni off as he never knows where Piccolo will be. O'Donnell has been poor all season and positionally he is awful, I don't know if he is injured but every County attack came down the Elliott/O'Donnell wing.

For what its worth, I can't see Archie changing anything apart from bringing in Fraser in place of Elliott or Craigen. Starting to really question Archie, Our team has no organisation or shape or tactics and I think our players are getting let down.

• Like 1

There's no need for wholesale changes we have just taken 4 points from 6 from two vital games and scored 5 in the process. Bannigan in for Elliot is all that is needed assuming no further injuries or return of Welsh.

We allowed Ross C to dominate the midfield in the second half and it cost us two points, we needed the team to be braver on the ball and get it down and pass but collectively they panicked and gave it back too cheaply. Forbes was brought on to do that but alas he just isn't cutting it at this level.

Not feeling the McMillan love, in the games I've seen him he's been all over the shop positionally, much worse than SOD in that respect. I don't expect us to sign anybody until the last couple of days of January now so assuming only Welsh and Ozzy are out:

Gallacher

SOD Piccolo Muirhead ATS

Fraser Bannigan

Elliott Lawless Higgy

Taylor

If Lawless plays he has to play in the middle, he's been much more effective there.

Gallacher, O'Donnell, Muirhead, Lindsay, Taylor-Sinclair, Fraser, Bannigan, Higginbotham, Lawless, Craigen, Taylor.

Piccolo and Balatoni have been making too many mistakes - think it's the right time for Lindsay who appears ready. Could even become our first choice partnership if they do well. Think Craigen's been poor recently but back to a more natural position (further forward rather then central midfield) could do the trick rather than dropping him. The other players who have been making mistakes/looking poor are doing so in their own preferred positions so I can cut him a bit of slack. And to be frank, the other options (Elliott and Baird) aren't good enough.

• Like 1

I was thinking that too and wondered what the average age is of our team compared to others and in particular Hearts, who just get sympathy from the media.

The average age of Hearts' starting eleven versus Motherwell on Saturday was 21.7.

Partick Thistle on the other hand had an average starting age of 20.7 - so a full year younger.

The real difference is the age of the substitutes bench, where Hearts average was 18.8, while Thistle a lot older and wiser at 26.1. This is admittedly incomplete as I can't find David Wilson's age for Thistle. But the lack of depth to the Hearts squad is clear.

To add to my post, I very much doubt Archie will actually play Lindsay and so in that case I'd hope he'd go for Balatoni over Piccolo partnering Muirhead. It's a familiar backline and might be what we need to get that home win. Although I'd still be up for dropping Fox as it isn't just the lack of communication that is counting against him in my head. It's the uncertainty at corners, easily being beaten by stoppable long-shots and the final nail in the coffin: letting Gordon's fairly routine trickler run through his legs. Great goalkeeper, good enough for this level, but needs a rest as he's been fairly poor since his call-up.

To add to my post, I very much doubt Archie will actually play Lindsay and so in that case I'd hope he'd go for Balatoni over Piccolo partnering Muirhead. It's a familiar backline and might be what we need to get that home win. Although I'd still be up for dropping Fox as it isn't just the lack of communication that is counting against him in my head. It's the uncertainty at corners, easily being beaten by stoppable long-shots and the final nail in the coffin: letting Gordon's fairly routine trickler run through his legs. Great goalkeeper, good enough for this level, but needs a rest as he's been fairly poor since his call-up.

Sorry Balatoni has been poor and getting worse and slower as the season has progressed, Piccollo started poor and has been steadily improving and I would say he's the better of the 3 central defenders

No need to apologise, we all have different opinions.

I don't disagree that Balatoni has also been poor but out of the three first team options we have, I think the Muirhead-Balatoni partnership is the best. Piccolo missed a slide tackle for their first and mistimed a crucial header for their third. His mistakes are costly and I'd feel a bit less nervous if we were back to the partnership of last season. Or if we could bring someone in before Saturday, then that'd be good. Wonder what Jahic's plans are after leaving St. Johnstone...

Edited by ThickAsThieves

1st goal Piccolo is having to get back for O'donnels man, plus no one is picking up Kiss,

2nd goal cross comes in from O'donnels man again who is out wide miles away from o'donnel who has dropped center, the Fox should have stopped the shot

3rd goal Kiss walks past Balatoni on the edge of the box, yes Piccolo misses a header but he's being challenged for it and ANY SPFL centre half should make the tackle on Kiss at the edge of the box, Conrad sticks a lazy leg out and stops (5.53 on the highlights)

What I don't understand with O'Donnell is he no longer pushes forward and is rarely in the oppositions half - so why is he always caught out of position? He just languishs in that no mans land thats just inside the half way line - not forward enough for their winger to track back, nor back enough to cover defensively. Piccollo was getting dragged out of position all game and I didn't know if it was his positional sense or not, but on reflection I think he was having to cover for O'Donnell all game. I'd definitely bring in McMillan.

Just looked at the highlights for the first time. Look at how deep we were defending for County's second! Gordon is unmarked 7 yards from goal, because eveyone else is standing on the goal line. And Carey was given acres of space to measure the cross. Their third was also the consequence of a comedy of errors. Two fluffed headers and a half-hearted tackle by Conrad.

I'm increasingly begining to think that the problem with our defence has less to do with individual performances and more to do with our failure to defend as a unit. Some are pushing up, others are dropping off, and when SOD occasionally drifts inside or is caught upfield they don't seem to know how to cover as a unit. Gabby moves out to the right but often this simply creates another problem when Conrad fails to plug that gap and/or ATS in turn fails to tuck inside.

But I remain hopeful. There has been a lot of chopping and changing at the back. I'm sure that Archie, once he's settled on a preferred pairing, can inject a bit more organisation into the back five, including Fox.

Edited by Stewarty

1st goal Piccolo is having to get back for O'donnels man, plus no one is picking up Kiss,

2nd goal cross comes in from O'donnels man again who is out wide miles away from o'donnel who has dropped center, the Fox should have stopped the shot

3rd goal Kiss walks past Balatoni on the edge of the box, yes Piccolo misses a header but he's being challenged for it and ANY SPFL centre half should make the tackle on Kiss at the edge of the box, Conrad sticks a lazy leg out and stops (5.53 on the highlights)

Doesn't look like it to me. Piccolo is turned by Slew who plays the ball down the line. Craigen is the player who doesn't match the run and Piccolo then makes a desperate lunge and misses the tackle. It's poor defending but nothing to do with O'Donnell. Fox should have saved the shot.

Neither Piccolo or Balatoni look like Top League Defenders for the third.