Killie Game

mhs

Doesn't look like it to me. Piccolo is turned by Slew who plays the ball down the line. Craigen is the player who doesn't match the run and Piccolo then makes a desperate lunge and misses the tackle. It's poor defending but nothing to do with O'Donnell. Fox should have saved the shot.

Neither Piccolo or Balatoni look like Top League Defenders for the third.

Who's meant to be right back???

Piccolo gets turned by Slew as you say, but the right back should be covering for someone coming down that wing, he's no where near it, leaving Gabby to cover for 2 players

Edited by Norgethistle

Horrible defending/goalkeeping for all of the goals. Didn't realise live but Foxy had a howler for the 1st, no keeper in the 1st div should be letting that in nevermind a top keeper who was recently in the Scotland squad. The 2nd one is a comedy of errors, not quite sure how it went in & the 3rd is shocking defending from all 3 CBs on the pitch. Piccolo has to do better when going for the header, Muirhead should then hold his position (which is a good one) next to the striker but as he does all too often he charges out leaving a gap & doesn't win the ball. Balatoni pussies out of a challenge where there really was no danger to him. Hoof the ball clear & danger averted but he half heartedly swings at the ball, misses & is then out of position. Pathetic all round really.

I think O'Donnell has been told not to attack so much so he's now not sure when to go & when not to. I say don't go forward at all, let Sinky go forward & O'Donnell with the defence all shuffling over to the left to cover that gap created.

• Like 1

I'd like to see:

Fox

SOD - Muirhead - Piccolo - ATS

Bannigan - Fraser

Lawless - Forbes - Higginbotham

Taylor

I agree that Fox has been poor recently, but I would still feel more confident in him that I would be in Gallagher. The defence has been playing with Fox all season and know what (or at least they should) to expect from him. I feel that changing this, especially in such an important game, would be detrimental to the performance of an already shaky defence. Muirhead and Piccolo to me seems to be our strongest partnership at centre back, did very well in the Hibs game other than that absolute horror show of a free kick. Balatoni has been poor, and I think he knows it, but some of it, I feel, can be put down to playing a lot of football over the last year and a bit, and plain tiredness. Hopefully, with a couple of weeks away he can come back into the side refreshed and prove that he is Premiership quality. At present, he has not proven it, he will need to start doing better. Piccolo, I think, isn't quite there yet, but definitely could be. He has come on leaps and bounds since his debut against Aberdeen, and if he could cut out the mistakes and improve his positional play he would, in my opinion, be the strongest defender we have.

Midfield is a bit of a no brainer as far as I'm concerned, Bannigan and Fraser are the best two central midfielders we have who are currently fit, and as such should start there. Ahead of this, I think we should try and give Forbes another go. I thought he was our best player when we played Dundee United away, and I'm till convinced that he should be played in the hole between the midfield and the striker rather than out wide where he seems to be played a lot of the time. It glaringly obvious that he doesn't have the pace to play on the wing, nor does he work hard enough to play as a central midfielder. However, he is undeniably a technically good player, who is willing to get forward and support (see his goal v St Mirren, and miss v Hibs). While he seems to get a lot of abuse from the Thistle fans (at least the ones near where I am), I think he is still worth a shot. Think of him as being a poor mans Pirlo. Higginbotham I thought was excellent on Saturday, and Lawless seems to have found a wee bit of form recently. I would like to see them try and play this 3 a bit narrower, using the full backs to supply most of the width, as I think that all 3 are best through the middle. Craigen looks like he needs a rest to me, and as such I'd drop him for Forbes, and Elliott can provide something but at present, that something shouldn't be from the start. His threat is from the fact that he's fast and powerful, and is ideal as a sub around the 70 minute mark (when Forbes gets tired anyway).

Taylor is an obvious choice up front, unfortunately for Doolan, this boy is simply better than him. Would like to see Elliott, and possibly Doolan just in behind Taylor at some point as well. Think Taylor holds the ball up well, and Doolan could do well playing off him. Even Baird could be worth a shout playing just off Taylor, he might be able to show something he hasn't shown as of yet, although Saturday is much too important game for us to try this.

The other thing that's been in my mind for a few weeks with regards to trying is playing O'Donnell in a more advanced role (leaving McMillan at right back obviously). Seem to recall he did this against Dunfermline in the 5-1 game (although I might well be making that up), and I actually think this would allow us to see the best of him. I think his delivery is actually quite good, and it would allow for us to be stronger at the back as SOD would track back a bit more than a winger might. It might well not work, but something which I think is worth a try at some point..

• Like 1

Yes but what I'm saying is that defenders aren't covering for each other, when one move in field or out, the unit isn't taking up the slack, we have 4 individual defenders doing their own things, not playing as a a defensive unit

I'd argue its the defensive midfielders job to fill gaps. Welsh was excellent at doing this last season (remember we hardly lost a game when he played). Osbourne did a decent job of it this season. Muirhead therefore has to take up the slack.

I like odonnell but he's all over the place and right now Mcmillan may serve us best. Odonnell at RM isn't a bad shout. Preferable to elliott?

With Bannigan & Fraser available I think (hope) both will come into tram.

As said on other threads, not a fan of either of Saturday's centre halves. Both out their depth.

Muirhead, I'm told, not fully fit & could prob do with the rest.

I know it's not easy to bring in players but would like to see BoD support Archie to bring in centre half on early part of this week- assuming Archie has them on his target list.

Ross Co proof that clubs will do business early in the window if right deal in place.

We have 2 home games next up & St a Mirren away at end of the month.

To bring players in on 1st Feb would be criminal especially way our centre halves been playing .

We had big problems at the back of midfield on Saturday. The guys in there tried but are simply not accustomed to the position. Muirhead would drop back into the defence, and Craigen would go chasing passes, meaning we were leaving a big hole in there. Fraser and Bannigan should start in these positions.

Lawless will have to drop out of the midfield. It was sorely evident at times on Saturday that we can't afford a player who is afraid of a tackle. Looked slightly better when moved out wide but his reluctance to get stuck in really cost us considering he was tasked with Craigen's usual role.

What is interesting about this thread is Elliot hasn't been put in anybodys choice of team. He never is, yet Archie seems to start him more often than not. His first touch is worse than a donkeys and he seems to always try and pass the ball first time - fairly shockingly. He doesnt relieve pressure, or contribute to passing moves, doesnt score, doesnt set up goals, didnt win any corners or free kicks and defensively our right wing has been a shambles. Might sound harsh but other than his natural physique and fitness levels (which are present but not used IMO) I dont see at all in the slightest what he adds to our team.

In the little time Forbes was on he contributed more, I'm positive if we had forbes or fraser on from the start in place of elliott, we would have won. It really epitomizes the phrase "been better of with ten men".

Some players aren't good enough,we can't love every player because they play for us, we are realistically going to end up in the playoff position (unjustly in fairness) and keeping certain loyalties or whatever with players that are simply not up to this level, will be what ruins us. The club is bigger than any player - works for your top players but also for your poorest.

EDIT: part of me is beggining to think that Archie is struggling to separate personal relationships with the players into professional ones. His knowledge and understanding of them as people, is effecting his choice of what is our strongest team. I'd love Archie to change tactics, even if it goes horribly wrong, just to show he is trying to do something.

Edited by read'n'yell

What is interesting about this thread is Elliot hasn't been put in anybodys choice of team. He never is, yet Archie seems to start him more often than not. His first touch is worse than a donkeys and he seems to always try and pass the ball first time - fairly shockingly. He doesnt relieve pressure, or contribute to passing moves, doesnt score, doesnt set up goals, didnt win any corners or free kicks and defensively our right wing has been a shambles. Might sound harsh but other than his natural physique and fitness levels (which are present but not used IMO) I dont see at all in the slightest what he adds to our team.

In the little time Forbes was on he contributed more, I'm positive if we had forbes or fraser on from the start in place of elliott, we would have won. It really epitomizes the phrase "been better of with ten men".

Some players aren't good enough,we can't love every player because they play for us, we are realistically going to end up in the playoff position (unjustly in fairness) and keeping certain loyalties or whatever with players that are simply not up to this level, will be what ruins us. The club is bigger than any player - works for your top players but also for your poorest.

EDIT: part of me is beggining to think that Archie is struggling to separate personal relationships with the players into professional ones. His knowledge and understanding of them as people, is effecting his choice of what is our strongest team. I'd love Archie to change tactics, even if it goes horribly wrong, just to show he is trying to do something.

Nonsense. Archie has rotated his squad as best he can, we have a small squad with not much movement avaialble in terms of personnel changes. If he picked his team purely on loyalty why did he drop Doolan? Baird also replaced Doolan for a few games at the start of the season. Muirhead was dropped for Piccolo, Lawless has been dropped. Elliott has had a run now but I don't see how that's favouritism over Forbes who was also here last season. Osbourne came almost straight in to the side when he was signed. Craigen was on the bench for weeks. There's not much else he can do to freshen it up apart from get new players in & possibly get Kerr/Baird out on loan.

• Like 3

Fox

SOD - Balatoni - Piccolo - ATS

Bannigan - Fraser

Forbes

Lawless - Higginbotham

Taylor

LIke we played last season. I know it exposes the wing backs, but I feel they're exposed at the moment and Elliott just acts as a blocker in front of SOD. Give the wing backs the freedom to run the length of the pitch to run. Midfielders need to be schooled at covering the midfield runs in behind the wing backs. Forbes can get his foot on the ball to find Lawless and Higgy in the hole.

This team will have goals...

Nonsense. Archie has rotated his squad as best he can, we have a small squad with not much movement avaialble in terms of personnel changes. If he picked his team purely on loyalty why did he drop Doolan? Baird also replaced Doolan for a few games at the start of the season. Muirhead was dropped for Piccolo, Lawless has been dropped. Elliott has had a run now but I don't see how that's favouritism over Forbes who was also here last season. Osbourne came almost straight in to the side when he was signed. Craigen was on the bench for weeks. There's not much else he can do to freshen it up apart from get new players in & possibly get Kerr/Baird out on loan.

For a start, I didnt say he picked the team on loyalty - I suggested he wasn't completely removed from personal relationships to players, which may be effecting his thoughts on the team.

Doolan was dropped as apart from a reasonable amount of goals, he has not contributed much - I think it is evident for anyone at our last few games to see how much better Taylor is as an all round player, regardless of his three goals.

My reference to freshen up the team is not just down to team selection - I am talking in a broader tactical sense. We went to two holding mids, to accomodate playing Osbourne and Welsh in the same team, so why when we have no holding midfielders fit, do we still play two? One being Craigen, who is a player I really like, but utterly useless in that position. We have went out every single week with the same tactics, that are not working. We aren't winning. There can be no disputng that fact. Freshen up the shape, the tactics and yes the personnel to what extent we can. Most of Archie's change in team have been enforced apart from not knowing his best centre back pairing and taking Lawless out for a couple weeks. I want to start seeing a game plan.

We actually did win very recently. Archie has changed the tactics with us going long a lot more. Too much so I think. Teams are going to find an answer to this even quicker than they did our passing style game. Plan Bs don't have to become Plan A as they should be a variation which we can switch from and to during a game so the opposition don't find it too easy to nullfy us. Maybe we should have a Plan C as well - or a Plan 9, that would confuse them.

A big part of our problem was scoring goals and now we've got a solution. Our defensive weakness are partly inexperienced defenders feeling the strain a bit and partly us losing good defensive midfielders (Osbourne in particular) at a bad moment. Hopefully Fraser can step into the breach soon. An experienced defender would be a good signing now I think.

I hope we can get the players we need to continue to improve the team (4 pts out of 6 remember) and we can get back to our passing game (albeit with the players having enough nous to know when to vary it - something that should be easier with Taylor in the team).

• Like 1

You had me agreeing up till the mention of forbes. A player who even though not starting when he comes on is possibly lazier than when he's Been playing for 60 or so minutes. I agree with you that Elliot should be a sub as his pace is the only real quality he has but if I was forced to choose between him or forbes at least Elliott has the right attitude.

In no way am I saying forbes deserved to be halved by kettlewell on Saturday but the fact that he totally sh#t himself at the challenge was why it looked particularly bad. Rather than pass the ball quickly he's too busy looking for a free kick for a foul well inside our half.

It's a shame someone with such obvious ability has such an unprofessional approach to football.