Killie Game

mhs

You had me agreeing up till the mention of forbes. A player who even though not starting when he comes on is possibly lazier than when he's Been playing for 60 or so minutes. I agree with you that Elliot should be a sub as his pace is the only real quality he has but if I was forced to choose between him or forbes at least Elliott has the right attitude.

In no way am I saying forbes deserved to be halved by kettlewell on Saturday but the fact that he totally sh#t himself at the challenge was why it looked particularly bad. Rather than pass the ball quickly he's too busy looking for a free kick for a foul well inside our half.

It's a shame someone with such obvious ability has such an unprofessional approach to football.

100% agree re Ross Forbes,absolutely no heart or application even when he's put on as an impact sub,think Doolan getting a bit dissed regarding his performances I think Osbourne and Doolan have been our best players this season. Lyle Taylor has been fantastic the 3 games he has played for us all pace and power whereas Doolan is more a touch player dragging defenders about and that worked fine last year with Welch,Lawless and Bannigan getting their share of goals exploiting the space Doolan was making for them. Think Archie should think outside the box and find a space for Dools either in the hole behind Taylor or even a midfield role, with his decent goal average of 1 in 3 surely you're better with 2 proven goalscorers in your team.

What is interesting about this thread is Elliot hasn't been put in anybodys choice of team. He never is, yet Archie seems to start him more often than not. His first touch is worse than a donkeys and he seems to always try and pass the ball first time - fairly shockingly. He doesnt relieve pressure, o- works for your top players but also for your poorest.

contribute to passing moves, doesnt score, doesnt set up goals, didnt win any corners or free kicks and defensively our right wing has been a shambles. Might sound harsh but other than his natural physique and fitness levels (which are present but not used IMO) I dont see at all in the slightest what he adds to our team.

In the little time Forbes was on he contributed more, I'm positive if we had forbes or fraser on from the start in place of elliott, we would have won. It really epitomizes the phrase "been better of with ten men".

Some players aren't good enough,we can't love every player because they play for us, we are realistically going to end up in the playoff position (unjustly in fairness) and keeping certain loyalties or whatever with players that are simply not up to this level, will be what ruins us. The club is bigger than any player

EDIT: part of me is beggining to think that Archie is struggling to separate personal relationships with the players into professional ones. His knowledge and understanding of them as people, is effecting his choice of what is our strongest team. I'd love Archie to change tactics, even if it goes horribly wrong, just to show he is trying to do something.

Agree 100% with your summation of Elliot.I said similar elsewhere. Still dont get why some folk even when semi critical of him still seem to value him as an impact sub. I dont mean for him to be a scapegoat but he has done no better at all in having an impact on our season than Baird who HAS been made a scapegoat. Also agree that Forbes offers far more danger although he is a luxxury we cant afford with his apparent 50% work rate. Dont think Archie basing on personal relationships though. Think it is purely bad judgement on his part that Elliot will develop into an effective player. It aint gonna happen Archie.

100% agree re Ross Forbes,absolutely no heart or application even when he's put on as an impact sub,think Doolan getting a bit dissed regarding his performances I think Osbourne and Doolan have been our best players this season. Lyle Taylor has been fantastic the 3 games he has played for us all pace and power whereas Doolan is more a touch player dragging defenders about and that worked fine last year with Welch,Lawless and Bannigan getting their share of goals exploiting the space Doolan was making for them. Think Archie should think outside the box and find a space for Dools either in the hole behind Taylor or even a midfield role, with his decent goal average of 1 in 3 surely you're better with 2 proven goalscorers in your team.

spot on, 100pc agree :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Great! If he's ready to play I'd have both him and Fraser in as they were both playing when we had our best run of form at the start of the season.

Can't see Welsh being used on Saturday. Fraser has more match fitness and didn't feature at all last week. Welsh takes a while to get back to match fitness. Probably needs a couple of U-20 games.

Strongly disagree. When on form he is a joy. Can't play 11 tough tackling hard men.

Terry Butcher disagrees. :) I agree with the point, but I'm not asking for 'tough tackling hard men' anywhere. It's been done to death now.

Great news that Welsh is on the way back. Guy deserves a bit of luck. With a run of fitness, he could be like a new signing for the second half of the season.

What is interesting about this thread is Elliot hasn't been put in anybodys choice of team. He never is, yet Archie seems to start him more often than not. His first touch is worse than a donkeys and he seems to always try and pass the ball first time - fairly shockingly. He doesnt relieve pressure, or contribute to passing moves, doesnt score, doesnt set up goals, didnt win any corners or free kicks and defensively our right wing has been a shambles. Might sound harsh but other than his natural physique and fitness levels (which are present but not used IMO) I dont see at all in the slightest what he adds to our team.

In the little time Forbes was on he contributed more, I'm positive if we had forbes or fraser on from the start in place of elliott, we would have won. It really epitomizes the phrase "been better of with ten men".

Some players aren't good enough,we can't love every player because they play for us, we are realistically going to end up in the playoff position (unjustly in fairness) and keeping certain loyalties or whatever with players that are simply not up to this level, will be what ruins us. The club is bigger than any player - works for your top players but also for your poorest.

EDIT: part of me is beggining to think that Archie is struggling to separate personal relationships with the players into professional ones. His knowledge and understanding of them as people, is effecting his choice of what is our strongest team. I'd love Archie to change tactics, even if it goes horribly wrong, just to show he is trying to do something.

I believe this also! Old pals act from when he was in the team. Its all there for us too see

If Fraser and Welsh persuade Archie they are fit to start on Saturday I'd go with the following assuming Muirhead is fit too.

Fox

SOD Muirhead Piccolo ATS

Welsh© Fraser Bannigan

Lawless Lyle Taylor Higgy

Edited by jagfox
  • Like 1

Have you considered applying for Archie's job? You must be worth a punt.

Been using the euro for years, BJ, but I'd say you got the valuation about correct.

Depending on the score at the time I'd like to see about 10 mins overlap when both Taylor and Doolan are on the pitch. As another poster points out Lawless is best played in the middle. So as the wee man usually tires Doolan could replace him then Taylor could be subbed for Elliott, Forbes or Baird and other adjustments made if necessary. I feel there may come a time when we require both strikers on the park and a wee bit of overlap time could make all the difference.

I can only hope that Archie brings in a defender this week. With the run of "win-able" games in the next few weeks, it is essential to strengthen the team now when there is a better chance of picking up maximum points. Not saying it is an easy thing to do. Finding quality players within our budget is hard enough, not to mention they also need to be a leader as well.

It is a good chance to pick up maximum points, as long as we keep Boyd out of the game as much as possible. Unfortunately our back line has proved completely useless at doing that this season.

Team wise, I'd like to see Fraser start, and would be open to seeing Craigen and Elliot drop to the bench.

No, he's good for this game and out for the St. J one:

http://ptfc.co.uk/ne...nsion_confirmed

I don't understand how that works out though.

Stuart Bannigans ban against Ross County was for the red card against Hearts. A 1 match ban which kicks in for the next first team fixture

The red card issued to Stuart Bannigan, sent him over a disciplinary points threshold(points are issued for each booking and red card depending on the severity of the incident. 6 yellows usually leads to a suspension due to breaching this points threshold). Going over the points threshold incurred another 1 game suspension which kicks in 14 days after the card was issued. Since we played on the Sunday that weekend the first game played after 14 days will be St. Johnstone.

If Fraser and Welsh persuade Archie they are fit to start on Saturday I'd go with the following assuming Muirhead is fit too.

Fox

SOD Muirhead Piccolo ATS

Welsh© Fraser Bannigan

Lawless Lyle Taylor Higgy

Took me ages to figure out why you had 12 players in your line-up... Is Taylor the only player with a first name? :P

I'd be willing to try

Fox

O'Donnell Balatoni Piccolo ATS

Fraser Welsh

Higginbotham Lawless Doolan

Taylor

I admit that putting Welsh and Fraser in after so long out of the first team could be a risk, but it's either them, Muirhead or McMillan in there. I'd maybe put McMillan in instead of Welsh.

Another risk is the CB position, but all three are good, they're just suffering from Kinniburgh-esque moments of stupidity.

The other issue is playing Doolan on the left wing as he might gravitate towards the centre and Higginbotham on the right where he prefers to cut in rather than get to the by-line. I think that we're suffering because we're decent with our width and other teams are letting us dominate the wings, meaning all our possession comes in less dangerous areas on the pitch. This will give us more threat in my opinion, and if Doolan, Lawless and Higginbotham play fluidly enough, they should be difficult for defenders to track (hopefully!). We just need to ensure we don't commit both wingers forward when we do need width, but we'd have two (actual) sitting midfielders to cover if we do.