Killie Game

mhs

People are being overly harsh on Balatoni - we have asked to much of our young defenders this year. Its hard for any young player to make the step up but even harder when you have no experienced players around you.

If you take away his mistake away for the third goal last week he actually played well.

• Like 1

Exactly what I was thinking Alan. Was going to post something similar but I couldn't put into words my thinking on Balatoni. I wouldn't necessarily disagree with dropping him from the starting eleven for a few games but I still think he has the potential to become a very good Premier League defender. After all, I remember thinking he was a bombscare in Division 1 but he eventually became one of that division's top centre backs.

Thought Conrad misjudged a lot of headers last week and I can see him not starting today. But singling him out is scapegoatism. Fox was shaky and our midfield was run over.despite having slightly the more midfielders. Also, fair tho' it may be to criticise Balatoni, he's not always been the weaker centreback this season. Far from it. At times Muirhead and/or Gabriel have made Conrad look rock solid in comparison.

If Balatoni gives way to Maiir today and both centrebacks have a good game I fully expect to read on here further tales of how poor Conrad has been. The guy more than deserves criticism. He just doesn't deserve to be slaughtered.

Muirhead in midfield with Mair and Piccolo in defense, thats what I think

That's what I'd expect.

Given the way last week's midfield was overrun, it would seem sensible to replace Craigen (who looked too tired to support Muirhead while defending last week, and who doesn't generally score either) in central midfield. Fraser as a (very different) replacement? Bannigan's more likely.

In any case, if defending is shored up reasonably well, it must surely be time to consider playing Doolan with Taylor. If they gel (and I suspect they might well do so, because they are so different), and make a goal-scoring combination, then the lack of goals from midfield (thinking of Higginbotham and Craigen) could be less of a problem.

Big calls from Archie. Gallacher, Fraser and Mair in. Gabby and Fox not even on the bench. Balatoni keeps his place. Elliot and Aero on the bench. Could be euphoria or mayhem on here tonight. Right, time to head up and hopefully see a win and Lyle bagging the first at 9/2

Edited by Lindau

Fox & Piccolo not even on the bench, both injured?

Paul Gallacher, Stephen O'Donnell, Aaron Taylor-Sinclair, Conrad Balatoni, James Craigen, Stuart Bannigan, Steven Lawless, Lee Mair, Lyle Taylor, Gary Fraser, Kallum Higginbotham.

Subs:
Marc Waters, Aaron Muirhead, Kris Doolan, Ross Forbes, Christie Elliott, Jordan McMillan, David Wilson.