Erskine The Heresy Thread

javeajag

Can I just preface this comment with the thought that I like Chris Erskine a lot?

He showed loads of class and dignity when leaving for United, always gave his all for Thistle, and provided some fabulous moments for us fans.

However, over a number of decades I have seen lots of players who have had a great season or two with us and gone off to other clubs, there to fade away being unable to retain the form that got them the move.

I don't want this to be true, but I fear that Chris had his purple patch with us last season and won't find it easy to recreate it in the future.

I reckon he could still have a very decent career, but only at Championship level, unfortunately.

I so hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

Actually thought he had a decent game today, especially in the first half. Looked more at home in the centre than on the side and linked up play well as advanced centre mid. Noticed from my excellent vantage point in the North Stand (!!) that he was constantly on the move dragging the Ross County Number 10 all over the place and taking up a lot of good positions, where more aware team mates might have found him.

Others have highlighted that he takes time to adjust to new situations and I am absolutely convinced that with the confidence of being re-signed and back in familiar surroundings and with a settled pre-season he would bed in well and be a lynchpin in our move to consolidate on and grow from our promising first season back at the top level. Once Kallum Higginbotham and Chris start to mesh more effectively we will see something really special and with Kris Doolan and hopefully Lyle Taylor really firing the potential is limitless,

In character as well as play, Chris has so much in common with Dennis McQuade and hopefully he will have an equally long and memorable career with us,

• Like 1

Erskine hasn't been great since we got him back. Higgi is a far better player. I would however disagree that he was awful today, he was average and lost the ball a lot. Classic Erskine. In my book, I wouldn't mind seeing him with us next season but he needs to improve hugely. He doesn't have a god given right to play in our team. He is clearly far more skilful than Chrsitie, however the big man has more heart and strength than Chris.

I'd say we need to get Taylor, the Buaben, then Erskine. He is a great Championship player, but he isn't a great SPFL player and he has a long way to go. I'd have no problem with being signed, but he shouldn't be a starter, if we get someone better then all the better!

Erskine hasn't been great since we got him back. Higgi is a far better player. I would however disagree that he was awful today, he was average and lost the ball a lot. Classic Erskine. In my book, I wouldn't mind seeing him with us next season but he needs to improve hugely. He doesn't have a god given right to play in our team. He is clearly far more skilful than Chrsitie, however the big man has more heart and strength than Chris.

I'd say we need to get Taylor, the Buaben, then Erskine. He is a great Championship player, but he isn't a great SPFL player and he has a long way to go. I'd have no problem with being signed, but he shouldn't be a starter, if we get someone better then all the better!

Agree about Taylor but theres no way Buaben should be a priority over Erskine if Dundee United release Chris

I thought Chris was poor today but he was trying but if just wasn't working ... Not a surprise when he went off .... I dong honk we can afford higgy and Chris in the same team particularly if we at Chris wide

I'm reminded of what someone said earlier .. A mate of mine an Aston Villa fan thought that last season would be the best season Benteke would have ... Might apply to Chris stork this level

nope there has been plenty of games erskine has contributed right from when he joined in January. You say buaben gave the team a lift well I'm sure he did but equally so did erskine and Lyle.

Plenty of decent games for us st Johnstone ad home for his debut was good even if others weren't that good, st mirren away, Motherwell away, Aberdeen at home, Hibs at home, st Johnstone away,killie away, hearts away. The only 2 real stinkers were st mirren at home and Hibs away so he has played his part as much as buaben.

Said it before and said it again I feel erskine and Taylor's signings really contributed to Doolan and higanbothams great performances since January.

name them please? I love chris erskine but he's been pish since he joined us apart two games in January. Edited by kennymac29

Hasn't been as good as I expected him to be on his return, but I think with a pre season behind him, he could still cut it at this level at Firhill. He actually does a lot of covering and grafting that he certainly didn't do when he was previously with us, a lot of which goes unnoticed. If United deem him as surplus to their requirements I am sure he will be back next season.

Edited by Lindau

Think when Erskine comes back to us for good and is away from the smell that emanates on the north bank of the Tay then his full confidence will return and we will have our Chrissy back in the fold , think its just all the unsettledness thats preventing him from turning it on for us again .

• 3 months later...

Happy for Erskine. Good guy. Wish he was here

agree

Looks like he may have turned the corner up there now. Really happy for him despite the fact it probably means we've seen the last of him.

A nicer chap you will not meet.

give it a year or two mr mac, he'll be back

I'll hold my hands up and say it seems I was wrong about him.

Something's clearly changed over the summer. Watching his goal on Saturday, I couldn't help think that if he was in the same position last season then he would have been looking for someone to square to instead of driving on and taking the shot himself.

Good on him.

I'll hold my hands up and say it seems I was wrong about him.

Something's clearly changed over the summer. Watching his goal on Saturday, I couldn't help think that if he was in the same position last season then he would have been looking for someone to square to instead of driving on and taking the shot himself.

Good on him.

He's fit & I guess that helping his confidence also.

The original poster ( Javajag)needs to give the Bridge an apology for the remarks he made. Our Chris is going well and I'm happy for him , just a pity he's doing it for the wrong bloody team !!!! We will be waiting with open arms Chris to welcome you back home anytime son !!

Edited by Harry Wragg
  • Like 1